Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Tragic...

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

gareth01422
10 Dec 2012 - 10:50 PM

read it and still come to the same conclusion.

next thing you know, they will dig up some "dirt" on the nurse just try set the official story in concrete....

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
10 Dec 2012 - 10:50 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

mikehit
mikehit  56474 forum posts United Kingdom9 Constructive Critique Points
10 Dec 2012 - 11:04 PM

Bear in mind, the nurse who committed suicide is not the person identified as 'nurse' on the transcript. Mrs Saldanha is identified as 'receptionist' but she took the call because the actual receptionist was not there - for me that adds to the tragedy.

paulcookphotography

Thing that gets me is why wasnt a receptionist on duty? Especially with the 'guest' they had.

Was Mrs Saldanha given the duty of receptionist that morning instead of her trained duties? I'm quite sure the prank call wasnt the only one to come through asking about Kate. There must have been plenty of reporters, journalists, well wishers and random other callers over that time, not to mention the relatives of any other patients.

hobbs
hobbs  101222 forum posts United Kingdom
10 Dec 2012 - 11:42 PM

[quote]That link is so tenuous as to be laughable - lawyers play 'what if' all the time and usually the answer is that there is no case and to me that falls in this same bracket. I guess it would hinge on the interpretation of 'obtaining' - for example someone with access to the information abuses that privelege to download/copy it. Or someone who asks for it and is given it by someone who should know better.[/]

As you say it's down to interpretation and as neither of us are lawyers or judges we can't say either way with any authority.

pulsar69
pulsar69  101611 forum posts United Kingdom6 Constructive Critique Points
10 Dec 2012 - 11:58 PM

There must come a stage where people are held accountable for their actions, and the radio presenters in this case carried out this call knowing full well it would cause all sorts of mayhem - that is the exact reason for doing it, to get more listeners and be seen to be a cool and daring radio station.

That carries risks, and those risks have now resulted in a tragic death, so should they get off with a little blubbering to the press and saying sorry ? , Damn No. Its not long ago they would be hanging from the gallows right now.

At the very least they should be sacked and never employed in a position of such responsibility with the ability to cause so much grief.

paulcookphotography

Their prank calls are part of their job. Part of why they are hired, and why they are popular. So sack them for doing their job? No

Pranks (sometimes referred to as jokes) are normally seen as fun, comedy or entertainment. Sadly, in this case it has turned into something else, largely due to media coverage

Unfortunately it appears that for whatever reason, the outcome (allegedly) caused a woman to end her life. They did not bully her, or act in any way that could be described as such, and she in turn did no wrong in the brief moments she took the call.

Hanging from the gallows? For what, exactly? Nothing has been proven.

Would be interesting to know what the outcome and reaction would have been if it had been a prank call to a random hospital about a random patient (or in fact still pretending to be the queen and Charlie coming to visit).

Last Modified By paulcookphotography at 11 Dec 2012 - 12:10 AM
Tooth
Tooth  95772 forum posts Ireland227 Constructive Critique Points
11 Dec 2012 - 12:07 AM

Quote: Its not long ago they would be hanging from the gallows right now.

?????

exactly how long is not so long

????

monstersnowman
11 Dec 2012 - 12:38 AM

I find the whole situation has turned into some sort of macabre medieval spectacle of abuse and torment with the two DJ's being prodded onto camera (whether by necessity or desire to abate the baying hoards). I have seen hostages on terrorist videos surrounded by hooded, sabre wielding maniacs, looking more comfortable. These people could never have foreseen the tragic results nor could they reasonably have expected them yet they are now internationally being hung, drawn and quartered for the jeering masses who, if they really had any concern about how actions could affect a human mind, would not attack the two people like this. I only hope the two DJ's mentally get over this hate campaign and are able to feel remorse for their actions for the right reasons rather than because they are now internationally hated figures. We dont even allow murderers to suffer this amount of international abuse on the media, just like the terrible way Jade Goody was treated ... I have a massive amount of sympathy for the deceased woman's family and the hoax was 'at worst' a ridiculous idea and not in good taste but this lust for vengeance without any perspective, understanding, common sense or compassion has gone too far. They may as well take to the streets like blood thirsty mobs, burning effigies and demanding a public flogging as some sort of sick ancient public holiday entertainment :o/

Last Modified By monstersnowman at 11 Dec 2012 - 12:40 AM
jondf
jondf  82475 forum posts
11 Dec 2012 - 9:47 AM

Quote: I find the whole situation has turned into some sort of macabre medieval spectacle of abuse and torment

It's likely they've been advised by the psychiatrists (councellors) to go through this public spectacle. It gets one more thing out of the way on the road to rehabilitation.

mattw
mattw  105189 forum posts United Kingdom10 Constructive Critique Points
11 Dec 2012 - 10:55 AM

Quote: Thing that gets me is why wasnt a receptionist on duty? Especially with the 'guest' they had.

The call came in a 5 in the morning, and apparently they don't have receptionist cover at this time.

NHS cutbacks probably, but quite strange for a hospital, and doubly so given the guest in their care.

Quote: There must come a stage where people are held accountable for their actions, and the radio presenters in this case carried out this call knowing full well it would cause all sorts of mayhem - that is the exact reason for doing it, to get more listeners and be seen to be a cool and daring radio station.

Sorry, but no. It was just a prank call. Reading the transcript, they kept the tone silly, and did not probe for sensationalist information. The information given out to them, whilst strictly speaking was confidential, I don't think you can call it 'sensitive information' at all.

Can we be 100% sure that this was the reason the nurse decided to end her life, and not for some other reason?

pulsar69
pulsar69  101611 forum posts United Kingdom6 Constructive Critique Points
11 Dec 2012 - 11:09 AM

yesterday three young lads were caught near us having a laugh and throwing stones from a motorway bridge, one of which went through a car windscreen. They were obviously very sorry when caught and it was just a prank.

You lot need to grow up - actions have consequences else we all end up living in a world where people do whatever they feel like, although wait - we are nearly there now !

Theres no real need however thinking about it to repremand them though, they will have to live the rest of their lives knowing they were in part responsible for someones death, that is the consequence.

In this world of facebook twitter and the like it seems basic morals and common sense have taken a back seat in our younger generation and its events like these that make people stop and think before they engage their mouths - or I would hope so anyway.

mattw
mattw  105189 forum posts United Kingdom10 Constructive Critique Points
11 Dec 2012 - 11:22 AM

Quote: yesterday three young lads were caught near us having a laugh and throwing stones from a motorway bridge, one of which went through a car windscreen. They were obviously very sorry when caught and it was just a prank.

How can you claim that is in any way analogous?
What was that you said about growing up again?

discreetphoton
discreetphoton Site Moderator 93453 forum postsdiscreetphoton vcard United Kingdom20 Constructive Critique Points
11 Dec 2012 - 11:38 AM

I'm keeping my fingers crossed that the woman is fine, and that this is a retaliatory prank on the DJ's.

mikehit
mikehit  56474 forum posts United Kingdom9 Constructive Critique Points
11 Dec 2012 - 11:42 AM

Quote: Yesterday three young lads were caught near us having a laugh and throwing stones from a motorway bridge, one of which went through a car windscreen. They were obviously very sorry when caught and it was just a prank.

You lot need to grow up - actions have consequences else we all end up living in a world where people do whatever they feel like, although wait - we are nearly there now !

Theres no real need however thinking about it to repremand them though, they will have to live the rest of their lives knowing they were in part responsible for someones death, that is the consequence.

In this world of facebook twitter and the like it seems basic morals and common sense have taken a back seat in our younger generation and its events like these that make people stop and think before they engage their mouths - or I would hope so anyway.

Throwing rocks from a motorway bridge is reckless because there is a high likelihood of a severe accident or even death. When phoning someone up to ask for information about a patient, what line of logic would you need to come to the conclusion 'it may end up in humiliation and the person will kill themselves'?
If it had not been a prank but had been a reporter looking for a story, would you still have the same view?

paulcookphotography

Throwing rocks from a flyover would be described as causing (or intending to cause) malicious damage with a very real risk to property damage and life. Any kid or adult calling THAT a prank seriously needs their head read.

Oh, and of course, its AGAINST THE LAW.

But its nice to see we have moved on from blaming the DJs and putting it all on the shoulders of Facebook and Twitter

Last Modified By paulcookphotography at 11 Dec 2012 - 12:17 PM

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.