Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Tragic...

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

New PortraitPro 12 SALE + 10% OFF code EPZROS814
Paul Morgan
Paul Morgan e2 Member 1315238 forum postsPaul Morgan vcard England6 Constructive Critique Points
12 Dec 2012 - 2:18 AM

What information was released, nothing that personal I bet.

I once tried to get some information about myself held by the NHS, they simply gave me the very basics, anything personal and the would not give it to me over the phone, they could only mail this to my, to the address on file.

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
12 Dec 2012 - 2:18 AM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

paulcookphotography

I posted a link to the the transcript in an earlier post Paul, but here it is again

Sooty_1
Sooty_1 Critique Team 41202 forum posts United Kingdom198 Constructive Critique Points
12 Dec 2012 - 11:49 AM

Sorry, having read it again, I can't believe that anyone would be so stupid as to believe it was genuine. The information wasn't that personal, but nothing whatsoever should have been divulged. If HM was genuinely interested at that time of the morning, I suspect a member of the royal household would have been dispatched to get the information, or there would be security measures in place. After all, it isn't hard to tap a phone line..... Ask that nice Rebecca Brooks....

Paul, with respect (afaik) you aren't a royal, but even so, I wouldn't think they would give you info about anyone unless you had identified yourself to their satisfaction. I would be horrified to think any information about my family or me had been released over the phone without my say so.

thewilliam
12 Dec 2012 - 12:33 PM

The folk who make prank calls for a living will have to lie low for a while.

Remember the backlash against papparazi after Princess Diana's death? A few press photographers got mobbed and one colleague who was doing some architectural photography with a 10x8 Sinar was accused and misguided by an angry member of the public.

jondf
jondf  82475 forum posts
13 Dec 2012 - 10:44 AM

Quote: That will be for the inquest to determine. But for someone with a conscientious, professional attitude, to be tricked into compromising patient confidentiality would be deeply humiliating. I do suspect that the broadcasters in question would not be able to understand such professionalism

I agree. It was one of the first thoughts coming into my head when news of the tragedy broke. That a professional trying to do her job of caring for patients should be compromised in such a way is almost unforgivable. But in my mind I have forgiven them as they'd never have dreamt such a thing could or would happen. As folk are saying on here and elsewhere, the results of an enquiry may reveal more information relevant to this dreadful occurance.

monstersnowman
13 Dec 2012 - 9:43 PM

Yes, starting with the contents of the 3 suicide notes that may answer a lot of questions.

Carabosse
Carabosse e2 Member 1139395 forum postsCarabosse vcard England269 Constructive Critique Points
14 Dec 2012 - 12:46 AM

Who knows what else was going on in this nurse's life? She only put the phone call through, as I understand it and did not release any information herself. The info which was released by the other nurse, although an unfortunate occurence which should not have happened, was pretty innocuous.

Hardly a matter for suicide for someone who did not actually give out any details, one might think. But it could have been one of those "last straw" issues.

GlennH
GlennH  91918 forum posts France1 Constructive Critique Points
14 Dec 2012 - 7:13 AM

Quote: But it could have been one of those "last straw" issues.

Almost certainly that's the case, as even a modicum of rational thought would prevent anyone from such a drastic response. Perhaps her work was a refuge from other problems—something to take pride in, so that breaching that and belittling her as she probably saw it was the 'final straw'.

The fact that the nurse potentially had mental health issues doesn't entirely exonerate the behaviour of pranksters, in my view. I have sympathy for them, but the whole world isn't made up of people full of frivolity, ready and waiting to be a 'good sport'. The end result of course was unforeseeable, but it doesn't take much imagination to believe the nurses would be made to look a little foolish. The nature of depression is that it exaggerates—blows every minor crisis out of proportion. They caught someone at a terribly low ebb.

paulcookphotography

[quote... but the whole world isn't made up of people full of frivolity, ready and waiting to be a 'good sport'. The end result of course was unforeseeable, but it doesn't take much imagination to believe the nurses would be made to look a little foolish. The nature of depression is that it exaggerates—blows every minor crisis out of proportion. They caught someone at a terribly low ebb.
[/quote]

Having suffered and lived with depression for most of my life i can understand how some things can hit you a lot more than was ever intended. A passing comment or a misunderstanding can have a huge effect when it was never meant that way or even about you. I have struggled many times in the past, but thankfully i am a bit older, wiser and more in control of my illness and cope pretty well with things, with the exception of the odd day or so now and again.

That said, although not everyone is in the 'mood' or can cope with a joke or prank or whatever at all times, the world is a big place full of many emotions. You cant please everyone. You could be in a great mood about a new job or pay rise and the person behind you as you celebrate has just lost their job. The trick is keeping things in proportion. Living YOUR life and not having other people's lives effect you (not to extremes at least). And yes, depression and anxiety does not allow a rational mind and can exaggerates even the smallest emotion, but it isnt (or shouldnt be) a reason to tiptoe around.

We do not know the facts of this tragic loss of life, but it does seem that she was sadly certain of her actions (with the reports of three notes and wrist injuries). For me, and i know everyone is different, that doesnt seem like a driven consequence, but a considered one. My apologies to her family if my opinion causes upset

Last Modified By paulcookphotography at 14 Dec 2012 - 6:49 PM
Paul Morgan
Paul Morgan e2 Member 1315238 forum postsPaul Morgan vcard England6 Constructive Critique Points
14 Dec 2012 - 8:14 PM

Quote: Hardly a matter for suicide for someone who did not actually give out any details, one might think. But it could have been one of those "last straw" issues

I`m sure at the time the hospital were looking for someone to blame, and since she past the call through who knows.

Quote: Paul, with respect (afaik) you aren't a royal

No, but the same should apply.

Eviscera
Eviscera e2 Member 81102 forum postsEviscera vcard United Kingdom149 Constructive Critique Points
14 Dec 2012 - 8:52 PM

Lizards at work.

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.