Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

TrailCam/Camera Trap

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

Leave a Comment
    • «
    • »
    Ade_Osman
    Ade_Osman  114484 forum posts England36 Constructive Critique Points
    12 Oct 2012 - 9:57 PM

I'm in the market for a good camera trap/trail cam and wondered if anyone has any experience of any and can recommend a good one.....I'm erring towards a Bushnell, who seem to be the market leaders and have everything I need in one, but wondered if there are any alternatives that offer the same sort of specifications, these being: HD Video, Black Leds and as high a megapixel sensor as possible, at least 8mp, hopefully 12mp. I'd also like a flash facilty too so as to capture colour images at night!

Any ideas or comments most welcome......Ade

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links 
    12 Oct 2012 - 9:57 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

rogerfry
    rogerfry  8501 forum posts United Kingdom
    13 Oct 2012 - 2:52 PM

Ade, I don't personally have any info on trail cams, but this site might be worth a look. At least it gives an idea of what's on the market.

Roger.

WildlifeKate
    13 Oct 2012 - 4:35 PM

Hi, I am a big fan of Bushnell trail cams and use them extensively! Check out my website at www.wildlifekate.co.uk and my WildlifeKate YouTube channel and you will see all my clips. Drop me an email if you need any more help! Kate

Ade_Osman
    13 Oct 2012 - 7:31 PM

Cheers Kate, seems like we have a fair bit in common, although I must admit your website is on a whole different level to mine.
    I am erring towards the Bushnell Cam, but I need it for close up work and the Bushnell, so I've read doesn't perform too well with this, with the LED's being far to bright. I've also got my eye on another from Spypoint which will do all I need and more and has an option of lowering the power of the IR LED's, but I'm just trying to find someone that has one so as to ask them what they think. At the moment I'm struggling away with webcams, but want to try and capture some off the smaller stuff in a higher resolution using a camera trap, I may use one of my dSLR's remotely tethered to a laptop and see how I get on with that in the meantime......

Cheers Roger.....Already checked by that site, it's where I originally found out about the SpyPoint system I'm mentioned above.

Ade

Steppenwolf
    15 Oct 2012 - 3:03 PM

I bought a Bushnell (HD Trophy trailcam black LED, about £270) a couple of years ago. I returned it because it never got a single picture - even with the PIR sensitivity turned right up. You had to literally walk right up to it and wave your hands in front of the lens before it triggered. I suppose it must have been faulty - I returned it for a refund. I didn't bother getting a replacement because it seemed a really clunky bit of kit - cheaply made and badly designed.

Ade_Osman
    15 Oct 2012 - 4:01 PM

Hmmm.....I must admit I'm still playing with the idea of getting one. I'm hoping I can get away with using one of the dSLR's tethered to the laptop, the only restrictions/reservations I have about this is the camera's weather resistance and the length of USB lead used, which can only be at it's maximum of 5 metres/16 feet. This can be circumvented though by using an Active Extender, but I'm a little worried about using one of these as I've no experience of them and I'm not sure how well they would work with the camera. As for the cameras weather resistance I may be able to get around this by using a shelter of some description or just doing what I require on a dry night of course Wink Something that's not forecast in my area for at least a few days Sad

Ade

RodStrachan
    RodStrachan e2 Member 7RodStrachan vcard Scotland
    15 Oct 2012 - 7:52 PM

Hi Ade, my father recently bought a couple of Stealth Cam STC-SNX1 models to see what wildlife there was around the farm. Overall we have had great fun with them, not just in looking at the images but in the attempts to get some decent images in the first instance. We tended to use these cameras mostly at night.

The camera's triggering sensor was pretty sensitive and seemed to work well. We tried them on the photographic image setting initially, but only had limited success (capturing some uninteresting shots of Roe deer, pheasants and a cat). However, when we switched these cameras to capturing video clips we had a lot of success with the following groups of animals in a few weeks of use... adult foxes and cubs, adult Roe deer and fawns, 2 badgers, Buzzards, even a few field mice running in front of the camera! The minimum focus was roughly 1.0m but at this range at night the Infrared sensor blew the highlights out, however, at about approx 1.5-2.0m the exposure was ok. These Stealth Cams were weatherproof and gave us no problem.

The Stealth Cams we have are pretty basic bits of kit but they can be a useful complement to your SLR kit. I think the hardest thing about using these cameras is figuring out the best place to set them up initially in order to increase your chances of success. I'd highly recommend getting one... just for the fun factor alone!

Cheers,
    Rod

Ade_Osman
    15 Oct 2012 - 8:08 PM

Cheers Rod.....I'm still very much undecided, but living where I do I'm thinking I'm needing one for exactly the same reasons you used yours for. I get a lot of stuff in the garden, which is ok, but the flash of the SLR's just frightens everything away for hours on end and I've got them pretty well covered with the CCTV system I have. It's the local badger sett I'm really interested in though.

Just looked up the model you've suggested and I see it has the Black LED's which is something I'm after, it's also a fraction of the price of the Bushnell gear too......More homework for me to do I think Wink

Cheers again mucker!.....Ade

RodStrachan
    RodStrachan e2 Member 7RodStrachan vcard Scotland
    15 Oct 2012 - 8:25 PM

Hi Ade, the Stealthcam model that we have doesn't have the best of quality in terms of images/video as I'm sure that there more advanced ones out there now. Nevertheless, I was pretty impressed with the fact it could shoot video in the dark and seeing some of the fox cub and badger behaviour was hilarious - we got one video clip of a badger lying on it's back scratching it's belly! I guess it's not all about the best/biggest camera that you can buy on the market if you can have some fun using it!

Cheers,
    Rod

• «
    • »

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
    Password:
    Remember me:
    Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.