Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

• NEWS
  • REVIEWS
  • INSPIRATION
  • COMMUNITY
  • COMPETITIONS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here

Trannies attract dust?

filmforever 7 695
7 Jun 2011 10:29PM
I've been experimenting with Ektar colour neg. film with a view to using it regularly in place of transparancy. One thing I've noticed is how transparency film comes back from the lab with a fair amount of dust on it, despite being in transparent sleeves. Yet this dust problem does not seem to occur with colour negative film.
Has anyone else noticed this?...Is there something inherent in transparency film that attracts dust, where colour negative doesn't?

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

joolsb 10 27.1k 38 Switzerland
8 Jun 2011 11:33AM
I can't say I've noticed - although it's possible that the plastic used for the base might not be as susceptible to static as that used for trannies...
Graflex 11 488 United Kingdom
8 Jun 2011 12:15PM
Never...sounds like the lab is situated in a pillow factory?
You didn't say if the dust was embedded in the emulsion or just laying on the surface.
I've had other minor faults but not dust in my years of publishing.
H.
filmforever 7 695
8 Jun 2011 5:04PM

Quote:
You didn't say if the dust was embedded in the emulsion or just laying on the surface.

I'm talking about usually very small bits of surface dust on the film when the strip of trannies is taken from its plastic sleeve and inserted into the scanner, resulting in an irritating amount of time spent retouching on screen.
For some reason I don't have this problem with Ektar colour neg. following the same procedure.
The lab is a reputable one praised in these forums.
I've thoroughly cleaned the scanner surfaces so I'm sure the problem is not there.

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.