Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Travel and image storage advice please?

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

New PortraitPro 12 SALE + 10% OFF code EPZROS814
Leave a Comment
    • «
    • »
    Artois
    Artois  8405 forum posts United Kingdom1 Constructive Critique Points
    7 Feb 2009 - 9:28 PM

I will be heading to China, later this year, for 3 weeks. I know I will take lots of photos using RAW. I do not want to take a laptop but want portable, secure and safe storage with the ability to view images. Recommendations and advice please?

Stella

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links 
    7 Feb 2009 - 9:28 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

scottishphototours

Epson P5000.

We use one at weddings to store images and the screen is brilliant.

Andy.

scottishphototours

Quote: Epson P5000.

We use one at weddings to store images and the screen is brilliant. Also has rechargeable battery and up to 120Gb storage.

Andy.

Artois
    7 Feb 2009 - 10:00 PM

ty Andy for info will have a look.
    Stella

Artois
    7 Feb 2009 - 10:07 PM

I have had a look at p5000 - too expensive for my needs. Ideal for professionals though. May just have to take laptop or forget viewing images and just go for portable storage.

Stella

LeighRebecca
    7 Feb 2009 - 10:29 PM

I'm not too sure on the details, but archos multimedia players and creative mp4 players etc can sometimes be used for storage and viewing of images. My old archos 605 40gb can take raw images from my 400d via a card reader in the docking station, though I don't really imagine it will be possible to view raw files from my new 5d mkii - I haven't tried that yet, because I've used a laptop lately. But if size and weight is very important, then these mp4 type players may be worth a look - you'd probably have to google to see which ones can be used in this way. They are also useful for watching a movie etc whilst travelling of course.

Leigh

Slippery_Jim
    7 Feb 2009 - 11:17 PM

A cheaper alternative could be take a box of blank DVD's with you and burn your images onto them in an internet cafe (there's loads of them over there - allegedly)

MikeRC
    MikeRC e2 Member 93493 forum postsMikeRC vcard United Kingdom
    7 Feb 2009 - 11:30 PM

...I have a P-2000...40 gb. I think.
    ...holds lots of images and a lot cheaper than the P-5000.

....Mike

Chris_911
    Chris_911  6 United Kingdom
    8 Feb 2009 - 8:49 AM

I use a Nexto Di - it's basically just a hard drive in a box with a built-in card reader.

Mine is 120Gb but larger versions are available. It doesn't have a screen for image review but is a great inexpensive (compared to something like the Epson) portable storage solution. Mine has been on several long trips (Africa, Europe....) and has proven to be reliable.

I think I paid something around 160 early part of last year.

agoreira
    agoreira  106001 forum posts Wales
    8 Feb 2009 - 9:15 AM

Quote: A cheaper alternative could be take a box of blank DVD's with you and burn your images onto them in an internet cafe (there's loads of them over there - allegedly)

Yes, that's what I always used to do, but now take the laptop and burn them on there. They are probably going to end up on a DVD eventually anyway, so why not. A handfull of blank DVD's takes up no room at all. Nowadays it only takes a few minutes, have a quick check to see they have recorded OK, job done. Unless you are going to Outer Mongolia!

Last Modified By agoreira at 8 Feb 2009 - 9:18 AM
    scthomas
    scthomas  762 forum posts United Kingdom
    8 Feb 2009 - 11:22 AM

I use an Acer Aspire One Netbook - much lighter than a normal laptop and has 160Gb memory. Also you can use for internet and note taking as well as viewing images. Then when I get back I just copy them onto my desktop machine before writing to DVD.

Last Modified By scthomas at 8 Feb 2009 - 11:23 AM
    Artois
    8 Feb 2009 - 12:05 PM

Thank you everyone for taking the time to reply. Some useful suggestions put forward and I will do some more research before making a decision. Cost is an issue, as ever, in the decision making process!
    Stella

• «
    • »

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
    Password:
    Remember me:
    Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.