Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Travel Tripod recommendations

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

katieb
katieb  10255 forum posts United Kingdom4 Constructive Critique Points
30 Jan 2013 - 8:27 AM

I have scoured the Internet looking at the various makes of lighter, shorter but sturdy tripods for travelling with and my head is in a whirl. I have the heavy old man 055prob but it doesn't go in my suitcase and is heavy for hiking. I'm going to be travelling for 6 weeks needs to go in a suitcase and needs to carry a weight of at least 3kg.
What do all you travellers out there use, any reccomendations, I cant afford a Carbon fibre one.
Ooh I don't need a head as I am happy with my vangaurd Sbh 300.
Cheers!
Kate

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
30 Jan 2013 - 8:27 AM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

TTT
TTT  12559 forum posts Germany
30 Jan 2013 - 8:47 AM

This is what I use and it's quite small when packed > http://www.amazon.co.uk/Velbon-Ultra-Ultrek-45-L/dp/B004XZFI6Y/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF...

mikehit
mikehit  56540 forum posts United Kingdom10 Constructive Critique Points
30 Jan 2013 - 8:50 AM

The Velbon Ultra Rexi-L. I have it as a travelling alternative to my Manfrotto 190XproB - it packs shorter (30cm long without head) so will fit in most suitcases, is as light as many CF tripods, extends slightly higher than the Manfrotto and feels more stable as well (probably because the legs are thicker). There is areview on this site if you want more details.

Last Modified By mikehit at 30 Jan 2013 - 8:53 AM
seahawk
seahawk e2 Member 7565 forum postsseahawk vcard United Kingdom
30 Jan 2013 - 9:40 AM

I agree, the Ultra Rexi - I have one and can't fault it.

WhiteRose1
WhiteRose1 e2 Member 41056 forum postsWhiteRose1 vcard England136 Constructive Critique Points
30 Jan 2013 - 9:57 AM

Ultra Rexi went to Burma with me last December. Does exactly what it says on the tin Grin. Recommended.

puertouk
puertouk  31076 forum posts United Kingdom17 Constructive Critique Points
30 Jan 2013 - 10:08 AM

I know what you are going through, as I'm looking for a new carbon fibre tripod myself, as I'm coming to the UK in July on a photo shoot up in the Lake District, but I need one that will hold around 8Kg. From what I've read, you can get one weighing around 1.6 - 1.8Kg. I keep looking at various reviews, but each one differs from another and there's not one tripod that stands out over the others, unless you go and spend silly money by spending 400 to a 1,000. Photography is my job, but I begrudge paying silly money to sit my camera on basically 3 plastic legs! Tongue Surely they must be a decent tripod for around 200 to 250. Then you have to get the head!

katieb
30 Jan 2013 - 11:02 AM

Interesting I was looking at the ultra Rexi earlier this morning and got put off because years ago I had a velbon and used to hate the twisty legs - but I know things have moved on since those days and it would stop my fingers getting pinched which I always seem to do with my current tripod.

Pete
Pete Site Moderator 1318447 forum postsPete vcard ePz Advertiser England96 Constructive Critique Points
30 Jan 2013 - 12:13 PM

Quote: I had a velbon and used to hate the twisty legs

I tested the Velbon Ultra Rexi L and it really was a pleasure to use - and twisty legs are not my thing either more because of the lack of tightness - you think it's tight and then a leg slips, but as I explained in the review this wasn't the case. I'd recommend you find a dealer who has one in stock and try it.

parallax
parallax e2 Member 5119 forum postsparallax vcard United Kingdom
30 Jan 2013 - 1:16 PM

I recommend the top of the range Giottos Vitruvian carbon. Light compact and can take a DSLR with a big lens easily. The best purchase I've made for my camera.

SlowSong
SlowSong e2 Member 64470 forum postsSlowSong vcard England29 Constructive Critique Points
30 Jan 2013 - 2:15 PM

Am reading this thread with interest as I think I need something more portable than my old Benbo Trekker which, although excellent, is rather heavy and unwieldy. However, I know nothing about heads as I've only ever had the 3-way pan and tilt type. The Velbon you've mentioned above does look rather good, but I wonder if I could be cheeky and interrupt your thread and ask what sort of head you'd recommend. Something easy to use but subtantial enough for a 60D plus long zoom, to be used at all angles, low and high. But not video. Smile

Last Modified By SlowSong at 30 Jan 2013 - 2:16 PM
RobboB
RobboB e2 Member 777 forum postsRobboB vcard United Kingdom
30 Jan 2013 - 3:13 PM

I am really pleased with my "Eric" from Three Legged Thing. Its Carbon Fibre but can hold 8kg. Seems really well made. They are a British company with design etc but manufacture in China

Last Modified By RobboB at 30 Jan 2013 - 3:14 PM
katieb
30 Jan 2013 - 3:38 PM

Thank you everyone for suggestions - Pete just read your review and agree sounds interesting - I see Wex have them instock so will pop in there on Sat and have a play.
@ SlowSong - I love my Vangaurd SBH 300 ball head, its an old model now they have some rather fancy new ones - it holds my D800 + 24-70mm approx 2 kilos in weight. I used to have a heavy duty 3 way pan head which I swore by until I used a ball head.

Kate

Pete
Pete Site Moderator 1318447 forum postsPete vcard ePz Advertiser England96 Constructive Critique Points
30 Jan 2013 - 3:48 PM

Quote: I see Wex have them instock so will pop in there on Sat and have a play.

Handy having them nearby...let us know if you agree with my findings.

katieb
30 Jan 2013 - 3:59 PM

Yep 10 mins up the road - far too handy Smile
Will let you know what I think.

colin beeley
colin beeley e2 Member 111070 forum postscolin beeley vcard England10 Constructive Critique Points
30 Jan 2013 - 4:16 PM

i just got one these to take on holiday Wink

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.