Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Travel Tripod recommendations

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

mikehit
mikehit  46191 forum posts United Kingdom9 Constructive Critique Points
30 Jan 2013 - 4:28 PM

Same weight and size as the Velbon, doesn't pack down as tight and 3 times more expensive
Wink

But the detachable monopod looks good...

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
30 Jan 2013 - 4:28 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

andybebbs
andybebbs  6119 forum posts United Kingdom1 Constructive Critique Points
30 Jan 2013 - 4:33 PM

My god the price of some of these i could have a holiday for, sorry guys just my thoughts but nice kit.
Andy

katieb
katieb e2 Member 10255 forum postskatieb vcard United Kingdom4 Constructive Critique Points
30 Jan 2013 - 4:55 PM

Giottos Vitruvian VGR8255 & MH5310-630 yep they look goood but far too expensive for this trip - would mean I would have less travelling money. Sad

colin beeley
colin beeley e2 Member 111070 forum postscolin beeley vcard England10 Constructive Critique Points
30 Jan 2013 - 6:14 PM

see here might get at a good price Wink

Paul Morgan
Paul Morgan e2 Member 1314978 forum postsPaul Morgan vcard England6 Constructive Critique Points
30 Jan 2013 - 6:24 PM

I`ve got the old version of this and it does its job, you can even fit your own head.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Hama-Traveller-Compact-Pro-Tripod/dp/B002L4ODDS/ref=sr_1...

seahawk
seahawk e2 Member 7529 forum postsseahawk vcard United Kingdom
30 Jan 2013 - 6:27 PM

I use a Vanguard SBH100 on my Ultra Rexi - it's a bit heavy but the new version is supposed to be lighter and more secure. Otherwise I cannot fault the SBH100.

Paul Morgan
Paul Morgan e2 Member 1314978 forum postsPaul Morgan vcard England6 Constructive Critique Points
30 Jan 2013 - 6:33 PM

I use a Vanguard BBH-200 head on my little Hama thanks to an ephotozine competition Smile

Last Modified By Paul Morgan at 30 Jan 2013 - 6:35 PM
SlowSong
SlowSong e2 Member 54239 forum postsSlowSong vcard England28 Constructive Critique Points
31 Jan 2013 - 9:45 AM

I'll check out the Vanguard. Smile

katieb
katieb e2 Member 10255 forum postskatieb vcard United Kingdom4 Constructive Critique Points
7 Feb 2013 - 10:04 AM

Just an update on my tripod choice for my 6 week journey down under - After reading Petes review of the Velbon Ultra Rexi L and the reccomendations of several people I went into Wex and had a look - had to say I was very impressed. My biggest worry was that it wouldn't be man enough to carry my D800, 24-70mm lens and Vangaurd SBH300 ball head, well my worries were unfounded. It is compact, Lighter than my everyday tripod Smile and will fit into my suitcase for flights. It seems very well made and the twisty legs have certainly improved - by the end of my 6 weeks travelling I will probably have got used to them - actually they work really well and lock tight with no drift downward. The price is another added bonus - such good value for a really good quality tripod - so Im happy another thing I can tick off my list.
Thanks everyone for your suggestions.
Only 4 weeks to go now - YEHHHHHHHHH

seahawk
seahawk e2 Member 7529 forum postsseahawk vcard United Kingdom
9 Feb 2013 - 11:48 AM

You made a good choice, hope you get as good results with the Rexi as I do with mine. If the twist locks are a little sticky open the legs out and rub them down with some WD40 using a cloth (don't spray it on directly), then retract the legs. I found this did the trick. Repeat occasionally as necessary.

Have a good trip!

simonkit
simonkit  7 United Kingdom
30 Jan 2014 - 12:44 PM

Been following this as I'm on the search myself for a "travel only" tripod to take on holidays, my everyday one is just to bulky.

The Velbon was on my list too but folded height with head was a little too much for me. Thought I'd post my other findings just in case anyone looking

Not well know but this Dutch manufacturer (Redget) makes a pretty good travel tripod.. currently top of my list

http://www.cameraworld.co.uk/hot-lists/top-tripod-deals/redged-tca-522k-rnb-0n-b...

A newish model made by Benro: Mefoto Backpacker
http://www.amazon.co.uk/MeFoto-BackPacker-Compact-Section-Aluminium/dp/B00BETIVU...

Another not so well know make but very good quality by most accounts:
http://www.amazon.co.uk/SIRUI-T-005X-Tripod-Ballhead-Aluminium/dp/B00AZTCHDE/ref...

Obviously all of these are compromised in such as their lightweight and portability make them less sturdy than a heavyweight but I've read reviews on them all from full frame camera owners suggested they are capable of supporting them securely... long exposure photos in gale force winds obviously aren't going to work out too well though

Simon

discreetphoton
discreetphoton Site Moderator 93451 forum postsdiscreetphoton vcard United Kingdom20 Constructive Critique Points
30 Jan 2014 - 10:22 PM

My favourite is still the Gorillapod Focus. I've used that thing in places that categorically forbid normal tripods by attaching it to handrails/ church pews and the like, and never had an issue. Plus it weighs next to nothing. Pricey, but at least I know I can always use it.

Tynnwrlluniau
Tynnwrlluniau e2 Member 438 forum postsTynnwrlluniau vcard Wales36 Constructive Critique Points
22 Mar 2014 - 12:06 AM

Glad the Velbon Ultra Rexi worked well. I have one and think it's brilliant for travel, sturdiness, weight and compactness. It's also very quick to unlock twisting all leg sections at the same time. My only gripe with it is that the grooved plastic feet are a bit unkind to my city-dweller palms when I lock the sections but it's certainly the best compromise tripod I've ever used.
Alun

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.