Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

• NEWS
  • REVIEWS
  • INSPIRATION
  • COMMUNITY
  • COMPETITIONS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here

Traveling Case

27 Apr 2013 9:49PM
Guys,
Got a heap of kit I like to take on holidays but as it expands (the kit that is) annually I find it cannot be taken as hand luggage anymore.
Seeing as the baggage handlers are as sympathetic to our precious (expensive) gear as David Cameron is to disability claimants I need to find a (reasonably priced) suitable 'baggage handler' proof case.
It will need to accommodate 2x EOS bodies, 5x Lenses, 2x flash guns plus filters etc.
Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance for your suggestions

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

LesJD 2 151 Wales
27 Apr 2013 10:34PM
Yeah,don't take so much stuff on holiday and don't put your gear in hold baggage because if it goes missing or gets damaged you may have a hard time claiming off your insurance company.
Coast e2
6 1.4k 292 United Kingdom
27 Apr 2013 11:47PM
Pelican cases for purpose built photo travel or have a look at the Thinktank range.
scottishphototours 10 2.5k 2 Scotland
27 Apr 2013 11:52PM
Calumet do a great range of roller cases at great prices...well worth a look...
ChuckBrix 9 126 United Kingdom
27 Apr 2013 11:57PM
I would say, never never ever put your equipment into the hold. Maybe all right if you are mega rich and have great expensive personal insurance. But for most ordinary folk, then never never.

But there are ways and means to deal with this. Travel with a big coat with big pockets and put 2 or 3 lenses or if possible a camera into the pockets, or a photographers vest is perfect. No one at check in tells you that your coat is too heavy.

If with wife friend partner, ask them to put a camera into their bag, just to deal with the check in and security checks. Once through all of that , get your stuff back into where you want it.

As far as I know there is only one airline in the world that has a weight limit based on you the passenger with your bags and coats and all manner of other stuff. Its based down in the Indian Ocean area I believe. So on their method, the 18 stone passenger with a skinny carry on bag pays more than the than the 13 stone passenger with 2 stone of carry on stuff. Apologies to kilogram users.
colin beeley e2
11 1.1k 10 England
28 Apr 2013 8:14AM
i use one of these when i go on holiday, why do you need so many lens's though ?
sausage 10 267 United Kingdom
28 Apr 2013 8:39AM
I recently bought a Pelican type case from Maplins. Seems very sturdy and only cost 50 quid.
crookymonsta e2
6 704 10 England
28 Apr 2013 10:41AM
You should be able to find a cabin size bag to fit your bodies and lens, then put the peripherals in your hold luggage. We travel regularly with 2 bodies and up to eight lens this way and the only problem we have ever experienced has been when one of the airport staff xraying bags was a camera geek- caused a bit of a delay Smile
karl 11 588 United Kingdom
28 Apr 2013 2:16PM
Peli. Insurance wise it's the same if you put it in the hold or take it with you in to the cabin - you still need to cover the full value of it regardless of where it is in the aircraft / on your travels.
keithh e2
10 23.2k 33 Wallis And Futuna
28 Apr 2013 9:40PM
Buy a Peli and bung it in the hold. Good thing is it doubles up as a bomb shelter if you need it.
30 Apr 2013 7:54AM
Something like a ThinkTank Airport Addicted plus smaller items in the pockets of a photographers vest (which you wear) are OK on most international flights. They take a Nikon 200-400, 70-200, 24-70, 16-35, 105 macro, converters, back up 70-300, 2 bodies, battery chargers, tripod head, video clamp, lap top, cards in GePe holders and external hard drives with some room to spare.
This way everything important except the tripod go in the cabin.
colin beeley e2
11 1.1k 10 England
30 Apr 2013 5:47PM
use what i said having those wheels really is a back saver !!!
ventile 7 152 Wales
2 May 2013 12:57AM
Think Tank Takeoff for me...Love it..
thewilliam 6 4.7k
2 May 2013 6:54PM
If you put a peli case in the hold, make sure you fit a decent padlock.

There are 2 approaches: one type of lock can be opened by a master key held by US and a few other customs people. The other is to take one spare lock per journey and replace those that have been sawn off by security.

It might be an idea to put the Peli inside an unassuming outer case that won't attract the thieving baggage handlers.

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.