Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

• NEWS
  • REVIEWS
  • INSPIRATION
  • COMMUNITY
  • COMPETITIONS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here

PRIZES GALORE! Enter The ePHOTOzine Exclusive Christmas Prize Draw; Over £10,000 Worth of Prizes! Plus A Gift For Everybody On Christmas Day!

travelling to USA - equipment hire

19 Nov 2012 9:31PM
I am planning a trip to USA next year and i'm wondering if it would be possible to hire a tripod while i'm there to save the weight and hassle of transporting it over there. Does anybody have any experience of hiring photographic gear in the US?

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

User_Removed 10 17.9k 8 Norway
19 Nov 2012 10:17PM
Hire..??!!!

Buy one.

And then pawn it...

Simples.

Wink
User_Removed 5 4.6k 1 Scotland
20 Nov 2012 2:02PM
Can't help with the hire aspect Mark but, generally, when travelling overseas I pack my tripod in my suitcase. Camera and lenses, of course, stay with me in carry-on baggage.

I managed a 7-week photo tour of western USA earlier in the year. Including the tripod (Manfrotta 190CXpro4) and enough clothing for 7 weeks, I still kept my checked baggage within Virgin Atlantic's 23Kg limit.

20 Nov 2012 7:48PM
Thanks guys, some good points well made. Both valid options but still wondering how much it would cost to hire.
lawbert 7 1.8k 15 England
20 Nov 2012 8:43PM

Quote:Thanks guys, some good points well made. Both valid options but still wondering how much it would cost to hire.

Try Google US and find your destination...and see who hires and who doesnt...

Theres not many in the UK that do tripod hire

You dont want to hire a car and then do an 800 mile trip to return what could be a disposable itemWink
User_Removed 5 4.6k 1 Scotland
21 Nov 2012 12:05PM
I don't know if you can hire tripods, Mark - but if you can, then based on lens hire costs, it might work out at about 10% of the retail purchase price for a 7-day hire. Proportionally cheaper for longer hires.

Added later:

Found this one by Googling. $30 per day.

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.