Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Triggertrap

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

55% OFF new PortraitPro 12 - use code EPHZROS414.
Leave a Comment
    • «
    • »
    CaptivePhotons
    CaptivePhotons e2 Member 101496 forum postsCaptivePhotons vcard England2 Constructive Critique Points
    7 May 2012 - 9:18 PM

One for the iPhone owners.

https://triggertrap.com/

Just ordered one and looking forward to getting it.

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links 
    7 May 2012 - 9:18 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

sausage
    sausage  9209 forum posts United Kingdom
    7 May 2012 - 9:23 PM

I've ordered one as well, hopefully will arrive soon!

robthecamman
    7 May 2012 - 10:38 PM

does one need an iphone for triggertrap

triumphv8
    triumphv8  6445 forum posts United Kingdom
    7 May 2012 - 10:52 PM

2 versions - in the $199 version you get the control unit and cable (so no phone needed) - in the iphone version, your phone is the controller and just needs the cable to connect it to your camera.

Interested to know how responsive that method of triggering is.

robthecamman
    7 May 2012 - 10:59 PM

so a control unit and cable will do it tho theyr all being sold from usa by looks of it

triumphv8
    8 May 2012 - 9:33 AM

Quote: so a control unit and cable will do it tho theyr all being sold from usa by looks of it

Yes less regulation over there plus obviously larger market, I produce a similar unit, but the liabilities from warranty and environment (never mind tax) are so high for producing even this sort of electronic device, It just isn't worth pursuing for now - and we wonder why we are in recession.

Hope TriggerTrap will be complying with all this when they ship to Europe Wink

What would you use it for, wildlife ?

Last Modified By triumphv8 at 8 May 2012 - 9:34 AM
    robthecamman
    8 May 2012 - 2:27 PM

thats the problem really understanding its use or am i wanting another toy i may not use much mmm

CaptivePhotons
    CaptivePhotons e2 Member 101496 forum postsCaptivePhotons vcard England2 Constructive Critique Points
    8 May 2012 - 3:17 PM

Quote: What would you use it for, wildlife ?

Some screenshots from the free version of the app:

2-1.jpg 2-2.jpg 2-3.jpg

Quote: thats the problem really understanding its use or am i wanting another toy i may not use much mmm

For less than 16 for the dongle and cable and 7 for the app, I'm going to chance it.

triumphv8
    8 May 2012 - 4:41 PM

I think the main unit is overpriced for the have a go hobbyist, but can't go wrong with the app, my target price is < 75 for a fully inclusive kit, sensors, lasers, IR beam, lead etc

Captive - have you downloaded the app and used with the internal camera - what is the response time like ?

If you do something simple like wave your hand into view, - how far across the screen is your hand before it triggers ? Is it quite responsive so it triggers straight away, how fast can you move your hand and still capture it ?

Ewanneil
    Ewanneil  31118 forum posts Scotland2 Constructive Critique Points
    8 May 2012 - 4:57 PM

I've just been playing with the free app' using the internal camera on my iPod. You can vary the "seismic" sensitivity to the point where you cannot stop it triggering the shutter because it is impossible to hold it steady enough. I propped my iPod up and tried dropping various things (pencils, key, wallet, book) on to the desk. It triggered with every item I dropped when set to maximum sensitivity and with minimal delay.

In "Seismic" mode ; properly set up and connected to a DSLR it could be useful in capturing things like balloons in mid burst; eggs/glass breaking when dropped.

I'm going to keep "playing" before I commit to a lead, dongle and the paid app'.

CaptivePhotons
    8 May 2012 - 5:16 PM

Quote: have you downloaded the app and used with the internal camera

Only the freebie version, no point paying out until I have the kit, and I haven't really used it much. There are a myriad of settings just on the three available modes on the freebie, timelapse is simple enough and gives a good graphic view of what's going on, seismic seems very sensitive but to be honest, it's very difficult to judge with just the iPhone.

Quote: my target price is < 75 for a fully inclusive kit, sensors, lasers, IR beam, lead etc

Good luck although I can't help but feel you're being a little optimistic. I have the Triggersmart system and that retails at approx 240, I got mine cheaper at Focus.

triumphv8
    9 May 2012 - 7:12 PM

Quote: Good luck although I can't help but feel you're being a little optimistic.

Thanks Captive, - actually no problem, all done from a manufacturing point of view just testing the IR beam range and response times - (No cross beam but it does have laser beam trigger)

The only thing is the legal side which unfortunately is causing time and investment that I can't committ to at the moment, so I'll be staying with selling my old prototypes as used on EBay for the time being while I continue to develop.

Just shows why manufacturing is dying in this country when you can't build and sell a simple product without all the regulation crap.

CaptivePhotons
    31 May 2012 - 10:02 PM

Well I now have the Dongle, lead and app. I've only been able to give it a rough try-out and initial impressions are favourable but there are one or two bugs. I'm assured these will be resolved with an updated app in the very near future. Looking forward to trying out the star trails feature, the timelapse modes and the long exposure HDR.

newfocus
    newfocus  7644 forum posts United Kingdom2 Constructive Critique Points
    1 Jun 2012 - 8:06 PM

It's interesting that they do an Arduino shield too. I've just been building some simple DIY camera control hardware around an Arduino Uno board over the last few weeks to help me automate some common timelapse scenarios (such as dusk to night transitions) and it's been a good little project.

CaptivePhotons
    1 Jun 2012 - 8:22 PM

Quote: It's interesting that they do an Arduino shield too.

If I didn't have my Triggersmart system, (these names are getting confusing!), I would have been tempted by the Arduino.

• «
    • »

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
    Password:
    Remember me:
    Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.