Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Tripod and head for £150 max

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

55% OFF new PortraitPro 12 - use code EPHZROS414.
Leave a Comment
    • «
    • »
    gareth01422
    16 Nov 2012 - 10:31 AM

Hi guys

I am buying a tripod and head today and have a budget of £150

seeking best advice, value you for money ?

I don't use big lens's and only have a 400D so doesn't need to be heavy duty.

I used to own the manfrotto 190prob years ago and really liked the positions you could get with the horizontal post. so ideally I would like this option again. or something as equal.

Gareth

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links 
    16 Nov 2012 - 10:31 AM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

cameracat
    cameracat  108575 forum posts Norfolk Island61 Constructive Critique Points
    16 Nov 2012 - 11:06 AM

Quote: or something as equal

Check out the Giotto options in your budget, You may be surprised at how good they are, That said your budget should get you the latest 190 model with a decent head, So it might be a case of the devil you know fitting the bill.

Last Modified By cameracat at 16 Nov 2012 - 11:06 AM
    gareth01422
    16 Nov 2012 - 11:22 AM

Quote: or something as equal

Check out the Giotto options in your budget, You may be surprised at how good they are, That said your budget should get you the latest 190 model with a decent head, So it might be a case of the devil you know fitting the bill.

Thank you,

The the Man 190 and the Giottos 9361 are so similar and I can not find any advantage on either to make a difference to the other, It may even come down to how they feel (quality wise).

Gareth

mikehit
    mikehit e2 Member 45766 forum postsmikehit vcard United Kingdom9 Constructive Critique Points
    16 Nov 2012 - 11:24 AM

Tripods are one of those intensely personal pieves of kit.
    I have the 190XproB with the old 488 midi head - the recent model being this 496 midi ballhead http://www.amazon.co.uk/Manfrotto-496RC2-Ball-Friction-Control/dp/B002N5NRSC/ref...
    I prefer the midi head to the mini because it gives less 'sag' when setting the camera position.

But if you are someone who does not need to adjust-and-lock quickly, this may be a good alternative:
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Manfrotto-460MG-3-Way-Magnesium-Head/dp/B0002O74PS/ref=s...

If you have the opportunity to handle both then that is certainly a great advantage. And feel free to mix-and-match: maybe put a Giotto head on a Manfrotto tripod

Last Modified By mikehit at 16 Nov 2012 - 11:25 AM
    gareth01422
    16 Nov 2012 - 11:29 AM

Thanks mike.

I was thinking more 3 way head more than ball, as I was thinking of getting a light tent agian for the indoors macro shots.

JJGEE
    JJGEE  96103 forum posts England18 Constructive Critique Points
    16 Nov 2012 - 11:59 AM

Quote: as I was thinking of getting a light tent agian for the indoors macro shots.

A ball head is very good and possibly better for that type of photography as there will no 3 way head handles to worry about hitting the edges / sides of the light tent.

I use an Arca Swiss p0 but that is, unfortunately, way over your budget but I guess there are loads of others that are priced within the budgetSmile

gareth01422
    16 Nov 2012 - 12:09 PM

Quote: as I was thinking of getting a light tent agian for the indoors macro shots.
    A ball head is very good and possibly better for that type of photography as there will no 3 way head handles to worry about hitting the edges / sides of the light tent.

hmmmm - didnt think about that. Thank you.... its something worth considering then.

Last Modified By gareth01422 at 16 Nov 2012 - 12:10 PM
    UKMike2013
    16 Nov 2012 - 5:24 PM

I always prefer a ball head for stills work as it is quicker and more versatile. However if you are likely to do any video then the pan function of the 3 way head will come into its own.

Keebsuk
    Keebsuk Junior Member 132 forum posts United Kingdom
    16 Nov 2012 - 5:31 PM

The Manfrotto 410 Junior Geared Head is a fantastic tripod head and will be covered by your budget! Grin

gareth01422
    17 Nov 2012 - 3:51 PM

Well after 2 visits to 2 Jessops shops I realized what a load of useless beeping beepers they are........

Anyway, back on subject.

Ive ordered off Amazon the Manfrotto 190XPROB Alu Tripod With 804Rc2 Head, I went for this 3 way head as I like to mess around with panoramic pictures like my Lowery Bridge picture.

Roll on Monday, I will be waiting behind the front door like a puppy dog waiting for the paper man.

Hopefully if the weather is up to it, I might take a visit to Chester for some low light shots.

Thanks again for the advice guys.

Gareth

Mozzytheboy
    Mozzytheboy e2 Member 3550 forum postsMozzytheboy vcard United Kingdom3 Constructive Critique Points
    31 Dec 2012 - 3:09 PM

I found that too Gareth Sad

• «
    • »

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
    Password:
    Remember me:
    Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.