Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

• NEWS
  • REVIEWS
  • INSPIRATION
  • COMMUNITY
  • COMPETITIONS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here

PRIZES GALORE! Enter The ePHOTOzine Exclusive Christmas Prize Draw; Over £10,000 Worth of Prizes! Plus A Gift For Everybody On Christmas Day!

Tripod and head for 150 max

gareth01422 7 213 United Kingdom
16 Nov 2012 10:31AM
Hi guys

I am buying a tripod and head today and have a budget of 150

seeking best advice, value you for money ?

I don't use big lens's and only have a 400D so doesn't need to be heavy duty.

I used to own the manfrotto 190prob years ago and really liked the positions you could get with the horizontal post. so ideally I would like this option again. or something as equal.

Gareth

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

cameracat 11 8.6k 61 Norfolk Island
16 Nov 2012 11:06AM

Quote:or something as equal

Check out the Giotto options in your budget, You may be surprised at how good they are, That said your budget should get you the latest 190 model with a decent head, So it might be a case of the devil you know fitting the bill.
16 Nov 2012 11:22AM

Quote:or something as equal

Check out the Giotto options in your budget, You may be surprised at how good they are, That said your budget should get you the latest 190 model with a decent head, So it might be a case of the devil you know fitting the bill.

Thank you,

The the Man 190 and the Giottos 9361 are so similar and I can not find any advantage on either to make a difference to the other, It may even come down to how they feel (quality wise).

Gareth
mikehit e2
5 7.1k 11 United Kingdom
16 Nov 2012 11:24AM
Tripods are one of those intensely personal pieves of kit.
I have the 190XproB with the old 488 midi head - the recent model being this 496 midi ballhead http://www.amazon.co.uk/Manfrotto-496RC2-Ball-Friction-Control/dp/B002N5NRSC/ref=sr_1_6?ie=UTF8&qid=1353064242&sr=8-6
I prefer the midi head to the mini because it gives less 'sag' when setting the camera position.

But if you are someone who does not need to adjust-and-lock quickly, this may be a good alternative:
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Manfrotto-460MG-3-Way-Magnesium-Head/dp/B0002O74PS/ref=sr_1_43?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1353064566&sr=1-43

If you have the opportunity to handle both then that is certainly a great advantage. And feel free to mix-and-match: maybe put a Giotto head on a Manfrotto tripod
16 Nov 2012 11:29AM
Thanks mike.

I was thinking more 3 way head more than ball, as I was thinking of getting a light tent agian for the indoors macro shots.
JJGEE 9 6.4k 18 England
16 Nov 2012 11:59AM

Quote:as I was thinking of getting a light tent agian for the indoors macro shots.

A ball head is very good and possibly better for that type of photography as there will no 3 way head handles to worry about hitting the edges / sides of the light tent.

I use an Arca Swiss p0 but that is, unfortunately, way over your budget but I guess there are loads of others that are priced within the budgetSmile
16 Nov 2012 12:09PM

Quote:as I was thinking of getting a light tent agian for the indoors macro shots.
A ball head is very good and possibly better for that type of photography as there will no 3 way head handles to worry about hitting the edges / sides of the light tent.

hmmmm - didnt think about that. Thank you.... its something worth considering then.
UKMike2013 2 20 United Kingdom
16 Nov 2012 5:24PM
I always prefer a ball head for stills work as it is quicker and more versatile. However if you are likely to do any video then the pan function of the 3 way head will come into its own.
Keebsuk Junior Member 2 32 United Kingdom
16 Nov 2012 5:31PM
The Manfrotto 410 Junior Geared Head is a fantastic tripod head and will be covered by your budget! Grin
17 Nov 2012 3:51PM
Well after 2 visits to 2 Jessops shops I realized what a load of useless beeping beepers they are........

Anyway, back on subject.

Ive ordered off Amazon the Manfrotto 190XPROB Alu Tripod With 804Rc2 Head, I went for this 3 way head as I like to mess around with panoramic pictures like my Lowery Bridge picture.

Roll on Monday, I will be waiting behind the front door like a puppy dog waiting for the paper man.

Hopefully if the weather is up to it, I might take a visit to Chester for some low light shots.

Thanks again for the advice guys.

Gareth
Mozzytheboy e2
4 701 3 United Kingdom
31 Dec 2012 3:09PM
I found that too Gareth Sad

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.