Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Tripod for a Wheelchair

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

Oliverpants
Oliverpants e2 Member 5Oliverpants vcard England2 Constructive Critique Points
31 Mar 2009 - 8:58 PM

I am a wheelchair user and want to get a tripod I can attach to it and use easily. I only have one useable arm so ease of use is essential.
I bought a Manfrotto 244RC - but it is no good. It slips when the chair is in motion and the knobs need to be loosened to move the camera to where you want it, because of the one arm this means my camera drops to the floor. (Not Good).

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
31 Mar 2009 - 8:58 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

Ganto
Ganto  8769 forum posts Ireland2 Constructive Critique Points
31 Mar 2009 - 9:11 PM

Have you tried a Gorilla Pod

kaybee
kaybee  103823 forum posts Scotland24 Constructive Critique Points
31 Mar 2009 - 9:14 PM

Why not find a local blacksmith or engineering works (or model engineering club.....always up for a challenge) to see if they can come up with a bracket to attach it to the chair?

chris_taylor
chris_taylor Junior Member 9161 forum posts United Kingdom
31 Mar 2009 - 9:19 PM

Hi Ann.....have you seen the Disabled Photographers' Society website?

There's some useful info on their "Frequently Asked Questions" page that may be of help to you. Smile

Chris.

andytvcams
andytvcams  1110396 forum posts United Kingdom
1 Apr 2009 - 1:17 AM

As Chris has pointed out try the Disabled Photographers Society.
Great bunch of people and very helpful.
Let us know how you get on.

CathyT
CathyT e2 Member 87276 forum postsCathyT vcard United Kingdom18 Constructive Critique Points
1 Apr 2009 - 8:59 AM

Ah Ha.....I know a good one cos I bought one for my sister......have al look at the Manfrotto Magic arm and grip...link

the clamp is attached to the arm of the chair and then the magic arm can be set up for you, or if you are able you can move it to the position you want, the camera sits on the top..if you leave the top part of it loose you can swivel it into position...Rache is tetraplegic , can use arms but no hand movement...she can press the buttons on the camera but also has a shutter release cable....her camera is a Fuji S6500 I think!! ....HTH

or you could send her a message and ask her link

Last Modified By CathyT at 1 Apr 2009 - 9:05 AM
CathyT
CathyT e2 Member 87276 forum postsCathyT vcard United Kingdom18 Constructive Critique Points
1 Apr 2009 - 9:43 AM

Another type link

...and another link

Last Modified By CathyT at 1 Apr 2009 - 9:49 AM
CathyT
1 Apr 2009 - 9:53 AM

..the links from the above page link

and a gimbal head link

but that looks like it will be quite expensive...eeek.

Oliverpants
Oliverpants e2 Member 5Oliverpants vcard England2 Constructive Critique Points
3 Apr 2009 - 9:40 PM

Hi Cathy - I already have the magic arm - thats the one that drops my camera. You cannot adjust it one handed - unless there is a new version. Ann

brianquinn
9 Apr 2009 - 9:51 AM

Ann,
I've got an artificial left hand and wrist, so I have a problem supporting the camera when adjusting a tripod head, and know what you mean about it headind floor bound!
Not sure about wheelchair mounting, but for the actual tripod head I'm really pleased with the Manfrotto RC322 which can be adjusted completely with one hand. You squeeze a trigger to release the mechanism, move to your new setting and let go!
It suppoerts my 5D MK 11 with a 200mm lens no problem.
Hope this helps!
B

andytvcams
9 Apr 2009 - 11:58 AM

Good idea Brian. here is a link to the RC 322

sidmousetrousers
16 Apr 2009 - 12:53 AM

Just returned to ephotozine so a bit late in posting this. I taught a group of photography beginners at a stroke centre, we used to go out on trips with a view to the borough publishing a calender of our images - I'm digressing here but I came across this problem a few time and the solution varied depending on the weight of the camera and the dexterity of the photographer, sometimes it wasn't a perfect solution. For a compact or bridge camera I used a bendy heavy duty swan neck arm (Manfrotto) coupled to a super clamp and a small b/s head, the camera had an infra red remote which was handy. The most elaborate was the super clamp, the friction 'magic arm' (there are 2 types) and the RC322 all Manfrotto and unfortunately with a total cost of around 170! - David

andytvcams
16 Apr 2009 - 2:22 AM

I wonder how Ann got on ?.

Bellie
Bellie  7507 forum posts
16 Apr 2009 - 11:19 AM

I'm working on an idea at the moment but just scratching my head on how to attach it to the wheelchair.

andytvcams
16 Apr 2009 - 11:35 AM

Might be worth looking at the manfrotto super clamps.

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.