Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Tripod guidance please

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

mike5537
mike5537  1 United Kingdom
14 Mar 2013 - 10:48 PM

Hey,

I'm sure this question has been asked before but I find that researching tripos is 10x harder than any other piece of equipment!

So what I need to know is whats best for me, I want a tripod that is happy in pretty much any situation from sitting outside all night getting star trail shots to model shoots and everything in between. I want to spend around 100 on it - is that realistic or would it get me a rubbish model? Which brands should I want and which should I avoid?

Thanks
Mike

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
14 Mar 2013 - 10:48 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

MrGoatsmilk
14 Mar 2013 - 10:58 PM

I use an old manfrotto thing it's silver weighs a bit needs some attention, but it's solid as a rock and built to last. About 5'7" extended maybe more. Will check the model when I get chance providing it's still legible that is.

Basically what I'm saying is a good old sturdy tripod does the job and a cheap light one for hols (I have a Vanguard type 7, crap but good) no real need to go mad.

Stu

widtink
widtink  2406 forum posts Scotland2 Constructive Critique Points
15 Mar 2013 - 7:54 AM

I just bought a manfrotto from wex good tripod and came with a "free" monopod good deal worth a look Smile

Rod

mikehit
mikehit  46189 forum posts United Kingdom9 Constructive Critique Points
15 Mar 2013 - 8:53 AM

If you are not hiking with it strapped to a rucsac then size and weight is not really important, and if you are not taking pictures in foul weather or strong winds, then stability is not paramount. You can get some good solid tripods for about 50 made by Slik or Velbon.These usually come with a video type head which is servicable but not the most easily adjustable. However you can often remove this head to attach one bought separately.

At the 100 mark is the Manfrotto 190XProB which comes in a gnats whisker below 100 but you do have to buy the head separately and I would suggest spending at least 40 on a good midi-sized ballhead. What I like about this model is the way the centre column can be adjusted horizontally for low level macro work.
For Compact/lightweighht I also have the Velbon Ultra Rexi-L which is smaller than the manfrotto when packed, is lighter, and I swear it is more stable. But not the best for close up work.

JohnParminter
15 Mar 2013 - 9:51 AM

Manfrotto 190XProB

Umberto_Vanni
Umberto_Vanni e2 Member 9349 forum postsUmberto_Vanni vcard Scotland
15 Mar 2013 - 11:27 AM

I have a Manfrotto 190X and can recommend it.

User_Removed
15 Mar 2013 - 1:15 PM

Look also at Giottos, superb tripods, read the reviews. For your price range this is ideal

JackAllTog
JackAllTog e2 Member 53544 forum postsJackAllTog vcard United Kingdom58 Constructive Critique Points
15 Mar 2013 - 2:21 PM

Quote: I find that researching tripos is 10x harder than any other piece of equipment!

Agreed - its seems really hard to even compare height without doing your own research one by one!

I Agree with Giottos too and love mine - v.similair to Chris's recommendation.

What got me initially was that Heads and tripods are often sold separately.

StrayCat
StrayCat  1014492 forum posts Canada2 Constructive Critique Points
15 Mar 2013 - 10:44 PM

What we need, is a room where one can enter, and be locked up with a number of different tripods. You have to stay there until you choose one, then you build a fire in the stove, emitting lots of white smoke out the chimney. Then you are released and the crowds cheer as you show them your choice; that should work.Wink

Briwooly
Briwooly  8452 forum posts England5 Constructive Critique Points
16 Mar 2013 - 3:19 PM

Just bought a velbron ultra REXi L after reading the Ephotozine review only wanted it for travel but its relegated my manfrotto to second place.got mine for 119 with ball head.

Brian................

jimbro
jimbro  137 forum posts Scotland
16 Mar 2013 - 8:56 PM

I have the Guittos MTL 9351B
It's not the lightest but it's rock solid and very tall. I'm 5'9" and it's higher than me with the head on it
I'd certainly recommend it

mike5537
mike5537  1 United Kingdom
16 Mar 2013 - 10:14 PM

Thanks guys, I look into your recommendations and see what I come up with!

AllyBoy
AllyBoy  892 forum posts United Kingdom
10 May 2013 - 9:01 PM

I'm actually after a travel tripod if anyone's got any ideas????

LenShepherd
LenShepherd e2 Member 62436 forum postsLenShepherd vcard United Kingdom
11 May 2013 - 9:36 AM

I do not think 100 new is enough for top grade support, including several second exposures, probably with telephoto lenses, of star trails.
Almost anything is good enough for studio flash as the flash duration eliminates most camera shake issues.
A good second hand Benbo Mk 1 may not be the easiest to use but for about 40 delivers as much support as 300-400 tripods. With luck if you find one it may even come with a decent head. A new Benbo Mk 1 (without head) is about 125.

Paul Morgan
Paul Morgan e2 Member 1314965 forum postsPaul Morgan vcard England6 Constructive Critique Points
11 May 2013 - 10:11 PM

Quote: I do not think 100 new is enough for top grade support

This all depends, if you don`t mind having a fixed head, camlink make a good one.

Almost as sturdy as my 30 year old video tripod, mind you video camera`s were a bit big back then Smile

Just realised you can change the head.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Camlink-TPVIDEO1-Professional-Video-Tripod/dp/B003HKACNA...

Last Modified By Paul Morgan at 11 May 2013 - 10:14 PM

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.