Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

• NEWS
  • REVIEWS
  • INSPIRATION
  • COMMUNITY
  • COMPETITIONS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here

PRIZES GALORE! Enter The ePHOTOzine Exclusive Christmas Prize Draw; Over £10,000 Worth of Prizes! Plus A Gift For Everybody On Christmas Day!

Tripod guidance please

14 Mar 2013 10:48PM
Hey,

I'm sure this question has been asked before but I find that researching tripos is 10x harder than any other piece of equipment!

So what I need to know is whats best for me, I want a tripod that is happy in pretty much any situation from sitting outside all night getting star trail shots to model shoots and everything in between. I want to spend around 100 on it - is that realistic or would it get me a rubbish model? Which brands should I want and which should I avoid?

Thanks
Mike

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

14 Mar 2013 10:58PM
I use an old manfrotto thing it's silver weighs a bit needs some attention, but it's solid as a rock and built to last. About 5'7" extended maybe more. Will check the model when I get chance providing it's still legible that is.

Basically what I'm saying is a good old sturdy tripod does the job and a cheap light one for hols (I have a Vanguard type 7, crap but good) no real need to go mad.

Stu
widtink e2
2 406 2 Scotland
15 Mar 2013 7:54AM
I just bought a manfrotto from wex good tripod and came with a "free" monopod good deal worth a look Smile

Rod
mikehit e2
5 7.1k 11 United Kingdom
15 Mar 2013 8:53AM
If you are not hiking with it strapped to a rucsac then size and weight is not really important, and if you are not taking pictures in foul weather or strong winds, then stability is not paramount. You can get some good solid tripods for about 50 made by Slik or Velbon.These usually come with a video type head which is servicable but not the most easily adjustable. However you can often remove this head to attach one bought separately.

At the 100 mark is the Manfrotto 190XProB which comes in a gnats whisker below 100 but you do have to buy the head separately and I would suggest spending at least 40 on a good midi-sized ballhead. What I like about this model is the way the centre column can be adjusted horizontally for low level macro work.
For Compact/lightweighht I also have the Velbon Ultra Rexi-L which is smaller than the manfrotto when packed, is lighter, and I swear it is more stable. But not the best for close up work.
JohnParminter 7 1.3k 14 England
15 Mar 2013 9:51AM
Manfrotto 190XProB
15 Mar 2013 11:27AM
I have a Manfrotto 190X and can recommend it.
User_Removed 10 3.3k 4 United Kingdom
15 Mar 2013 1:15PM
Look also at Giottos, superb tripods, read the reviews. For your price range this is ideal
JackAllTog e2
5 4.0k 58 United Kingdom
15 Mar 2013 2:21PM

Quote: I find that researching tripos is 10x harder than any other piece of equipment!

Agreed - its seems really hard to even compare height without doing your own research one by one!

I Agree with Giottos too and love mine - v.similair to Chris's recommendation.

What got me initially was that Heads and tripods are often sold separately.
StrayCat e2
10 15.5k 2 Canada
15 Mar 2013 10:44PM
What we need, is a room where one can enter, and be locked up with a number of different tripods. You have to stay there until you choose one, then you build a fire in the stove, emitting lots of white smoke out the chimney. Then you are released and the crowds cheer as you show them your choice; that should work.Wink
Briwooly e2
9 452 5 England
16 Mar 2013 3:19PM
Just bought a velbron ultra REXi L after reading the Ephotozine review only wanted it for travel but its relegated my manfrotto to second place.got mine for 119 with ball head.

Brian................
jimbro e2
1 37 Scotland
16 Mar 2013 8:56PM
I have the Guittos MTL 9351B
It's not the lightest but it's rock solid and very tall. I'm 5'9" and it's higher than me with the head on it
I'd certainly recommend it
16 Mar 2013 10:14PM
Thanks guys, I look into your recommendations and see what I come up with!
AllyBoy 8 92 United Kingdom
10 May 2013 9:01PM
I'm actually after a travel tripod if anyone's got any ideas????
11 May 2013 9:36AM
I do not think 100 new is enough for top grade support, including several second exposures, probably with telephoto lenses, of star trails.
Almost anything is good enough for studio flash as the flash duration eliminates most camera shake issues.
A good second hand Benbo Mk 1 may not be the easiest to use but for about 40 delivers as much support as 300-400 tripods. With luck if you find one it may even come with a decent head. A new Benbo Mk 1 (without head) is about 125.
Paul Morgan e2
13 16.1k 6 England
11 May 2013 10:11PM

Quote:I do not think 100 new is enough for top grade support

This all depends, if you don`t mind having a fixed head, camlink make a good one.

Almost as sturdy as my 30 year old video tripod, mind you video camera`s were a bit big back then Smile

Just realised you can change the head.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Camlink-TPVIDEO1-Professional-Video-Tripod/dp/B003HKACNA/ref=pd_sxp_f_pt

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.