Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Tripod Head

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

Leave a Comment
    • «
    • »
    ray1
    ray1  10518 forum posts England1 Constructive Critique Points
    7 May 2010 - 5:05 PM

Im looking to update my tripod head as it is not really up to the job - its a cheapo ball and it tends to creap. The tripod is a bembo trecker and again could do with being a bit more robust but it has always done the job very well so I dont plan to change that.

I would like a quick release setup and dont want to spend a shed load so have considered the:

Giottos MH7002 ball, Manfrotto 494RC2 ball and the Manfrotto 460 MG head.

Any thoughts on the best way to go. The 460 would be top end on the price range and Im not even sure that I want to spend that much.

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links 
    7 May 2010 - 5:05 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

stevie
    stevie e2 Member 101198 forum postsstevie vcard United Kingdom2 Constructive Critique Points
    7 May 2010 - 5:32 PM

Hi
    My best advice here is simply to go into a store, take the camera/lens combination you're most likely to use and simply try out the products you have shortlisted plus anything else you see that might fit your purpose/budget. The way a tripod/head handles is obviously really important and I would always try the set-up out before parting with cash. You'd hardly buy a car without a test drive, after all. I don't know where you live but stores like Calumet usually carry a decent range of stock and give you an opportunity to have a good look/try.

ray1
    7 May 2010 - 7:54 PM

Hi Stevie - thanks, but was hoping for some user feedback. Probably going to have to order online.

Chrism8
    Chrism8  7745 forum posts England14 Constructive Critique Points
    7 May 2010 - 8:05 PM

I've currently got a 460MG, compact. fairly light, easy to use, works for me, on a 055proB

Chris

photofrenzy
    8 May 2010 - 3:12 PM

Try GIOTTOS MH-1300 ball head with GIOTTOS MH-261 quick release plate max load 8kg

User_Removed
    8 May 2010 - 11:52 PM

As you may have noticed in my recent thread looking for advice on buying a carbon fibre tripod, I was in the market for a new pod and head recently.

I eventually settled for a Manfrotto 322RC2 Ball and Socket Grip Tripod head and I have to say that I am absolutely delighted with it. A wee bit more expensive that a straightforward ball and socket head but the trigger grip is an absolute joy to use.

ray1
    9 May 2010 - 8:24 AM

Hi Eric - I have heard good things about the 322 although a bit more than I was wanting to spend as its not something that I will use a lot. However, I have a few things coming up where I will need the tripod hence the better head needed - perhaps a look on ebay.

ChrisStyles
    ChrisStyles e2 Member 6381 forum postsChrisStyles vcard United Kingdom
    9 May 2010 - 12:43 PM

I bought a Giottos MH1301 from Jacobs last year for about 60 & I'm delighted with it.

martyn05
    martyn05  7363 forum posts England
    10 May 2010 - 10:07 PM

I liked the Manfrotto 055PROB and 322RC2 so much, i brought the same again for my wife and her camera kit. Buy it, you will not be disappointed.

Buy once, buy right. Grin

PhotoKaren
    12 May 2010 - 9:38 PM

I have the 496RC2 (the one up weight wise from the 494). I find it really good. Can move in lots of different ways. It's attached to a 190XPROB. REally sturdy and it locks well.

• «
    • »

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
    Password:
    Remember me:
    Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.