Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

• NEWS
  • REVIEWS
  • INSPIRATION
  • COMMUNITY
  • COMPETITIONS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here

Tripod Help

phil99 e2
8 44 6 United Kingdom
3 Dec 2013 4:22PM
Can anybody advise on a tripod and head for a serious but amateur landscaper photographer . I had an original budget of 400 or just above . Weight is not a great problem as at my age 67 I am not likely to want to carry it for miles and miles . Been looking at a Manfrotto 055 XPROB and a 482 RC2 Midi Ball Head .Think this will only come to around 225 . Any ideas where to buy from on the internet .Think they are out of stock at Warehouse Express unless you buy one with an 804RC2 head . should I be better off buying for carbon fibre and paying more ? or Any other makes considered. Many thanks

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

mikehit e2
5 6.8k 11 United Kingdom
3 Dec 2013 5:06PM
The 055 is certainly a default tripod for many landscape photographers so you can't go wrong there. If you will not be carrying it for miles, I would resist the CF version and use the money to buy a quality head to go with it.
One problem with tripod heads is 'lens sag' - you are holding the camera in positions, get the framing right, let go and the weight of the lens causes it to sag a little. The larger the ballhead the less this will happen, and it is helped further by using a tripod collar (rarely an option with wider angle lenses). Pan and tilt heads are one alternative, but if your budget can go as high as 400 for the kit, you could consider a geared head or maybe a fluid geared head.

Tripods, like camera bags, can be a very personal preference (size, weight etc) so I would suggest getting to a camera shop and trying one out - if you have a branch of Calumet nearby they also do a very respectable range of their own. If I could not find one at a local camera shop I would happily use Am@z*n.
Other makes that get very good review are Feisol and Induro.
phil99 e2
8 44 6 United Kingdom
3 Dec 2013 5:12PM
Thanks Mike ,Very sound advice there .
JohnParminter 7 1.2k 14 England
3 Dec 2013 5:57PM

Quote:Can anybody advise on a tripod and head for a serious but amateur landscaper photographer .

Manfrotto 190XProB + 804RC2 head = classic combination and affordable. Either in Alu or Carbon.
keithh e2
10 23.2k 33 Wallis And Futuna
3 Dec 2013 6:15PM
DerekL e2
9 109 23 England
3 Dec 2013 10:36PM

Quote:Head. Capable of holding a long lens without sagging and smooth as a whistle to adjust.

Tripod. on its own with the 229 head although the bundled ball head is a little beauty

Giottos-Vitruvian-VGRN-9265-5501-652 is 189 here
http://www.mifsuds.com/acatalog/Giotto-Vitruvian-VGRN-9265-5501-652-Aluminium-Kit-3212.html

or same company on Ebay 179
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Giottos-Vitruvian-VGRN-9265-5501-652-Aluminium-Tripod-Kit-/251298008784?pt=UK_Tripods_Monopods&hash=item3a82874ed0
alansnap e2
10 529 22 United Kingdom
3 Dec 2013 10:44PM
Look at the Giottos Ball heads. I have the MH1300, which has a huge ball. The adjustment is excellent as it has a friction control that can be set to allow you to move the lens body combo without it flopping all over the place. Once you've set it up you can lock it in place with another knob on the opposite side of the head. Very effective. I marry that to a Manfrotto 190B and it's a great combination. It's a bit heavy though it works.
If you want something lighter have a look at the Brian tripod from Three Legged Thing. You can get it with the Airhead for 359 at Wex. I have this and it's an excellent travel tripod though not as rock steady as the Manfrotto. It is however much easier to transport and will go in a suitcase for travelling.
Alan
Trev_B e2
7 110 65 England
3 Dec 2013 11:33PM
Another option is the Manfrotto 393 Gimbal Head, it's great for wildlife and I can't see why it won't be equally as good for landscape. Mine is married up to a Manfrotto 055 XPROB, not the lightest combo but very stable. A shoulder strap clipped onto the tripod makes it easy to cary. At 260 for the pair from WEX they make a reasonably priced solution.

Trev
MalcolmS e2
9 1.1k 13 England
4 Dec 2013 12:09PM
This head on this tripod is a good combination or on the Manfrotto 055 XPROB. The ball head handles my Canon 70-300L with no problems.

Malcolm
seahawk e2
7 582 United Kingdom
4 Dec 2013 12:16PM
I have a Velbon Ultra Rexi tripod and it's great, the only disadvantage being twist-lock legs that are not so easy to adjust. I am looking for a new head as mine sags a little and it's heavy. I would look at the Benro range, they get good reviews.
phil99 e2
8 44 6 United Kingdom
4 Dec 2013 1:03PM
Thanks all. I have made my mind up on the Manfrotto 055 XPROB and at the moment I am leaning towards the Manfrotto 410 junior geared head.....Phil
JJGEE 9 6.4k 18 England
4 Dec 2013 1:14PM

Quote:I am leaning towards the Manfrotto 410 junior geared head.

Good choice.... go for it ! !
4 Dec 2013 2:52PM

Quote:Manfrotto 055 XPROB and at the moment I am leaning towards the Manfrotto 410 junior geared head

exactly the combination I use - it's excellent... especially the geared head - swift coarse adjustment in single planes, then micro adjustment thereafter if needed. All without handles poking in your shoulder or eyes and solid to boot; lastly also without the potential "droop" of a ballhead not designed by Brunel..
geffers7 e2
4 37 1 United Kingdom
4 Dec 2013 3:12PM
I've got the carbon fibre version Phil and I use with the 410 Junior head. Despite being carbon fibre it is still quite heavy with this head but the 410 Junior is solid and the geared head is perfect for landscapes.
Geoff
phil99 e2
8 44 6 United Kingdom
4 Dec 2013 3:35PM
Many thanks .Both now ordered and will be with me on Friday ....enjoy your photography folks.....Phil

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.