Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Tripod Recommendations

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

kinfatric
kinfatric  9550 forum posts Scotland9 Constructive Critique Points
3 Feb 2007 - 12:12 PM

A no nonsense, light but stable in a breeze, fast up and down with a good head tripod required, to support an Eos 5D and medium to long lenses. I would be grateful for any views on the matter.

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
3 Feb 2007 - 12:12 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

culturedcanvas
3 Feb 2007 - 12:24 PM

Budget and required height?

Dan

kinfatric
3 Feb 2007 - 12:31 PM

I suppose around £250 or so wouldn't burst the bank Dan, height around 1.7 metres fully extended with a bit to spare would be reasonable.
I'm after advise from someone who has or used a setup that they would recommend.

User_Removed
3 Feb 2007 - 1:18 PM

With that budget I'd be looking at either Manfrotto and Benbo Kinfatric. Bit like buying camera in a lot of respects; i.e. get your hands on several examples, have a 'play' and make your choice. I use a Manfrotto 055B Pro with a couple of heads - one a pistol-grip type thingy (!) and a more conventional HD ball joint type head with a full 360 degree, calibrated swivel. (Can never remember the head model numbers!!)

Helpful Post! This post was flagged as helpful
kinfatric
3 Feb 2007 - 1:26 PM

Thanks Mike that model of Manfrotto seems very popular, I do have a Benbo although I'm looking for something quicker to erect.

ruralscotland

190 ProB with 322RC2 or 055 with same head.

Allan

User_Removed
3 Feb 2007 - 1:39 PM

Quote: ...although I'm looking for something quicker to erect.

LOL!!! I know what you mean! But - that said, they are very versatile hence my suggestion without knowing you had one (Smile)

culturedcanvas

Id be going 055 or a velbon sherpa for that kind of coin. Probably the Velbon Sherpa but its swings and roundabouts.

Another much cheaper option would be the Slik Pro range which come in very cheap .. the 500 Pro is a decent bit of kit for the money. I use it as a spare tripod and they can be bought for about £80 or so.

Dan

User_Removed
3 Feb 2007 - 3:39 PM

One thing t bear in mind is you have to carry the thing. Manfrotto Neotec have always looked ideal to me..... it'll be the one I'll get next time. Don't know the cost. Manfrotto Neotec Demo

kinfatric
3 Feb 2007 - 4:19 PM

I was having a look at those Col, a good adjustment feature being at the top of the tripod legs rather than at areas along the legs, this would ease leveling on varying ground perhaps. The weight is similar to the 055 range too, however the Sherpa Carbon Fibre Pro cf-531L & 631L are on special just now at Warehouse Express, also they are half the weight, important for carrying but perhaps less stable in a breeze.
Anyone used these latter models?

culturedcanvas

The neotec can be a problem .. Andy (tvcams) uses that model and if i recall he has problems with a sticking leg (the tripod leg sticks too Smile

A few people have had issues with them but they are quick to use ...

Dan

SuziBlue
SuziBlue  1116195 forum posts Scotland10 Constructive Critique Points
3 Feb 2007 - 5:53 PM

I had the chance to borrow Andy's neotec on a Northscape workshop and it was FAB. I fell in love with it - such a great tripod. I want one one day when I have the pennies! with the gears of course ..

aftertherain
3 Feb 2007 - 6:39 PM

I use the Velbon 641L (4 clips instead of 3)and it's brilliant, I never leave home without it.
I do have a Manfrotto 322RC head and it's a great combination - but I had to get an adapter as the thread sizes were different.
Little screw thing cost 80p postage was £2.20 so get it at the same time as the tripod.

kinfatric
3 Feb 2007 - 6:54 PM

thats very helpful Merl, now I do have the adapter but not the other more important items Smile

Melanie_M
Melanie_M e2 Member 9168 forum postsMelanie_M vcard United Kingdom9 Constructive Critique Points
3 Feb 2007 - 8:03 PM

The Velbon CF tripods work a dream. Not only are they light, but come with padded legs so are not half as cold on your hands. Again use the 322RC2 head. It makes up a substantial proportion of the weight of the set up, but am so used to it that anything else I tried does not cut the mustard. Ive used it with the 1dmk2 and the 100-400ISL, so can take the weight. The Velbon tripods come with a hook so you can attach something heavy to weigh it down if needs be.

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.