Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Tripod Upgrade

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

IanBurton
IanBurton  465 forum posts United Kingdom7 Constructive Critique Points
19 Jan 2012 - 12:20 PM

Hi,

Since I started out doing landscape photography as a hobby I have been using a Manfrotto 190XPROB Tripod with my Canon 450D Giottos Ballhead (MH1301-652 Series 2). As I have progressed my kit has gradually been upgraded (now Canon 5D on Manfrotto 410 Junior head) I now feel I need to upgrade my tripod as I have noticed it is now a little top heavy and would like one that is more sturdy and up to the task. Lenses I use range from 17-40 up to 70-200mm.

Criteria:
Carbon : preferred material to reduce weight especially going for a bulkier/sturdier tripod.
Height : would rather not extend any centre columns were possible, I'm just shy of 6ft if that helps.
Transport : want something that is relatively easy to carry not necessarily lighter, walk on average 5-6miles so not totally unfit Wink
Wear resistance: cope with the elements and saltwater so don't want joints that will clog up frequently and corrode easy, don't know whether twist lock legs are better.
Price : will spend up to 300.

I'm interested in these:

Manfrotto 055CX3 CF
Benro C-297EX
Vanguard Alta Pro 283 CT

Has anyone had any experience of the above or have any recommendations?

Thanks in advance.

Ian

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
19 Jan 2012 - 12:20 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

f11digital
f11digital  1184 forum posts United Kingdom1 Constructive Critique Points
19 Jan 2012 - 1:59 PM

I've had my Manfrotto 055CX3 CF with a Manfrotto 460MG 3D Magnesium Head for nearly a year now and have no complaints. It'a easy to carry although it might be worth considering buying a tripod strap for it. In use it's a delight to use especially after it's been 'dipped' in the water for waterfall shots etc. In th cold weather the carbon fibre does not feel as cold as metal tripods. I'm 5'8" and have to stand on tiptoe when I extend the camera on full reach and centre column raised, so it's more than adequate for my needs. The only downside is when it's at its lowest height, it can take a lot of fiddling about to get it lower than the length of the centre column, and shifting the centre column to its horizontal plane can make it a bit of a contortion to position the camera correctly, but it all comes with practice. If you've taken it to the seeside, it doesn't seem to attract as much sand as a normal metal tripod and cleaning it afterwards is less of a chore.

John

IanBurton
19 Jan 2012 - 3:51 PM

Thanks John. Just taken a look on line and sounds like yours is the 055CXPro3 with the Q90 system. The one above has a low level adapter so you can dispense with the column altogether.

Coleslaw
Coleslaw e2 Member 913403 forum postsColeslaw vcard Wales28 Constructive Critique Points
19 Jan 2012 - 3:56 PM

I don't know about you, but I hate the clip lock system on Manfrotto. If I were to upgrade my Manfrotto, I would certainly not choose another Manfrotto.

Having said that, I found choosing a tripod online is pretty difficult, as you do need to go try them out to see if you like the handling/operation.

Last Modified By Coleslaw at 19 Jan 2012 - 4:01 PM
AlanTW
AlanTW  11342 forum posts
19 Jan 2012 - 4:32 PM

I've recently upgraded my Manfrotto 190 to a 055CXPRO and use a Manfrotto 410 Junior head with it and am really pleased with this setup. I personally prefer the Manfrotto clip lock system as I've had problems with the rotating type locks seizing up on me - I guess it comes down to personal likes and dislikes

JJGEE
JJGEE  96307 forum posts England18 Constructive Critique Points
19 Jan 2012 - 8:40 PM

Quote: Having said that, I found choosing a tripod online is pretty difficult, as you do need to go try them out to see if you like the handling/operation.

Could not agree more.

I am lucky as my local camera shop stocks all the major brands. ( Gitzo / Giottos / Manfrotto )

IanBurton
20 Jan 2012 - 11:21 AM

In my search I have come across these guys Feisol UK. They seem very similar to Gitzo and the accessories are as extensive, also cheaper. Reviews seem very positive, just not as well know as other major brands. Anyone had any experience of them?

keithh
keithh e2 Member 1023041 forum postskeithh vcard Wallis and Futuna33 Constructive Critique Points
20 Jan 2012 - 12:08 PM

Feisol are a German Company and are imported into the UK by John Nevill, himself a keen photographer. Never used them but they always seem to get good reviews.

Sylar
Sylar  678 forum posts England
22 Jan 2012 - 11:34 AM

I have used a Manfrotto 190XPROB and I would like a better tripod.

I am thinking about getting the 3 legged x2 Brian tripod. Does anyone
know if this would be a good choice?

mikehit
mikehit  56475 forum posts United Kingdom9 Constructive Critique Points
22 Jan 2012 - 1:22 PM

What do you mean by 'better'? More stable? lighter? more adjustable...? the 190XproB is an excellent 'pod so I am guessing you have a specific use in mind that the Manfrotto cannot fully meet..

IanBurton
22 Jan 2012 - 8:49 PM

Sylar/Mikehit, you're not really advising on the criteria above.

At present I am favouring the Feisol tripod, particularly the C-3342. They offer everything Gitzo do but at a fraction of the cost. Will keep you posted on what I end with.

mikehit
mikehit  56475 forum posts United Kingdom9 Constructive Critique Points
22 Jan 2012 - 9:09 PM

Sorry, Ian. Got sidetracked there.

I have seen some very good comments on the Induro tripods - I know that Calumet stock them and they seemed pretty good when I handled them (by that time I had bought my Manfrotto).

http://www.calumetphoto.co.uk/eng/browse/categories/bags-tripods/_/brands/induro

IanBurton
22 Jan 2012 - 9:24 PM

Thanks Mikehit, seems like another great outfit to consider. Doesn't get any easier does it?!

IanBurton
23 Jan 2012 - 12:57 PM

Had a closer look at the Induro tripods, but I can't seem to find any information on the maintenance of them (i.e. stripping the twist-lock legs when cleaning is required). Any one know if this can be done and with relative ease?

keithh
keithh e2 Member 1023041 forum postskeithh vcard Wallis and Futuna33 Constructive Critique Points
23 Jan 2012 - 1:44 PM

Why not just buy a Giotto?

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.