Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Tripod Without A Centre Column

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

Leave a Comment
    • «
    • »
    JJGEE
    JJGEE  96276 forum posts England18 Constructive Critique Points
    1 Jul 2013 - 7:30 PM

Considering replacing my 23 / 24 year old aluminium tripod, Gitzo G326, with a carbon fibre one.

One option I am looking at are those without a centre column, like Gitzo's Systematic range. ( GT3532S for example )

Does anyone use such a type of tripod and have any observations regarding the practicalities of adjusting the height by altering the legs instead of the centre column ?

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links 
    1 Jul 2013 - 7:30 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

indemnity
    indemnity  5328 forum posts
    1 Jul 2013 - 8:45 PM

I use 055XPROB from manfrotto fitted with a ball head. The horizontal centre column is a great feature. A tad heavy for travel though.

If weight and size us an issue the new Befree might be worth a glance.

LenShepherd
    LenShepherd e2 Member 62449 forum postsLenShepherd vcard United Kingdom
    1 Jul 2013 - 10:32 PM

Quote: ( GT3532S for example )
    Does anyone use such a type of tripod and have any observations regarding the practicalities of adjusting the height by altering the legs instead of the centre column ?

It is quite easy to adjust height if you do not do macro, A tripod like the one you have in mind is more stable than something like an 55XPROB, as you would expect for the price difference.
    Your budget seems to be around 600. Manfrotto also make some very stable CF tripods in the 400-600 range but in this price range most seen to go for Gitzo.
    I use a Gitzo series 3 6x (which goes close to ground level) with great success for general photography, and a Gitzo Explorer for the advantage of the swinging arm and infinitely individually variable leg angles for macro.
    Cheap and very stable but heavy and not convenient to handle lets in a Benbo Mk II.

Helpful Post! This post was flagged as helpful
    JJGEE
    1 Jul 2013 - 11:00 PM

Thanks LenShepherd for the information.
    Probably going to stick with the Gitzo brand as I believe the Manfrotto has a lever system for tightening the leg sections, which I am not too keen on.

IanBurton
    IanBurton  465 forum posts United Kingdom7 Constructive Critique Points
    2 Jul 2013 - 10:01 AM

Have you considered Feisol? They are very similar to the Gitzo design, but at half the price. They may not look as pretty as Gitzo but they are just as good. I have one without the centre column and can honestly say I do not miss that feature. The tripod stands at eye level and is very robust, also has the twist lock legs. So far it has been a joy to use and have had no need to clean the leg joints even after many dips in saltwater.

digicammad
    digicammad  1121988 forum posts United Kingdom37 Constructive Critique Points
    2 Jul 2013 - 10:20 AM

I took the centre column out of my Manfrotto about 6 years ago, because I never used it and do a lot of low level work. I have always adjusted the height using the legs as that gives a more stable platform.

If the tripods without centre columns are more expensive it may be worth looking at one with a centre column which can be removed.

Ian

JJGEE
    2 Jul 2013 - 5:45 PM

Thank you all for stopping by with your observations / suggestions.

Nickscape
    Nickscape  8694 forum posts England9 Constructive Critique Points
    3 Jul 2013 - 1:48 PM

Quote: I took the centre column out of my Manfrotto about 6 years ago, because I never used it and do a lot of low level work. I have always adjusted the height using the legs as that gives a more stable platform.

I tend to do the same, I have a Manfrotto 055 which I keep the centre column in when I don't need to go very far & it provides a great base for photography. I also have an old Manfrotto 190 with the centre taken out which easily attaches to the backpack and is much lighter for carrying up the hills.

RavenTepes
    4 Jul 2013 - 10:27 AM

I don't like centre columns for one reason; they add vibration. No column = less vibration.

pink
    pink  111505 forum posts United Kingdom5 Constructive Critique Points
    4 Jul 2013 - 1:43 PM

Thanks to Ian Burton for his advice on the Feisol range. I was looking to replace a leg section on my Gitzo but at over 120 for one leg only I have decided to plump for one of these as you never know when the other two legs will fail.
    Ian

dcash29
    dcash29  81904 forum posts England
    4 Jul 2013 - 5:20 PM

Im looking at replacing my Manfrotto with one of these for walking and travel

http://www.amazon.co.uk/SIRUI-T-025X-Tripod-Ballhead-Carbon/dp/B00AZTCHK2/ref=sr...

thewilliam
    4 Jul 2013 - 5:44 PM

The Bimbo tripods and the various clones don't have a centre-column.

I stopped using mine when it collapsed and dropped a Hasselblad SWC onto a stone floor. It was carefully maintained but I could never sure that the centre bolt had been tightened properly and I was worried that over-tightening might strip the thread or shear the bolt.

I have a selection of Gitzo tripods of different weights and all but one came from charity or antique shops for a fiver or tenner. One advantage is that spare parts are easily available.

JJGEE
    4 Jul 2013 - 11:08 PM

Quote: Bimbo tripods

Not come across that brand before so have done a search and came up with this

Quote: Bimbo : Woman who is not attractive enough to be a model, not intelligent enough to be an actress, and not nice enough to be a poisonous snake.

! !

OK
    I did also spot that it is an alternative name for a Benbo tripod, I have no idea why. Wink

dcash29
    dcash29  81904 forum posts England
    18 Jul 2013 - 5:13 PM

Just to follow up on my earlier posting about the SIRUI Carbon fibre tripod.

Excellent delivery from source, Excellent product quality and although the mounting plate/head is on the small side my Nikon D300s and 70-300VR goes nowhere.

Note that I've purchased this solely for walking and travel

Dave

• «
    • »

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
    Password:
    Remember me:
    Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.