Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Tripods

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

55% OFF new PortraitPro 12 - use code EPHZROS414.
widtink
widtink e2 Member 1404 forum postswidtink vcard Scotland2 Constructive Critique Points
26 Jan 2013 - 12:53 PM

Right people after the fine advice i received on my last topic (was talked out of buying a mid zoom ) iam wanting more of the same pleaseGrin Iam going to get a tripod for my birthday as i broke my last one which wasn't up to the job anyway (Hama) and the question is what to buy ? I use a Nikon D7000 and at the moment my heaviest lens is a sigma 10-20 but will probably get a 70-300 ish in the future.Wex have a good deal on Customer
Rating
4.5 Manfrotto 190XPROB Tripod with 496RC2 Head with free monopod. As i know nil about tripods/heads/monopods all advice is welcomed with open legs lol.

Rod

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
26 Jan 2013 - 12:53 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

seahawk
seahawk e2 Member 6488 forum postsseahawk vcard United Kingdom
26 Jan 2013 - 2:16 PM

I also use a D7000 plus Sigma 10-20 and 18-200, which are my heaviest lenses. My tripod is a Velbon Ultra-Rexi L which folds down small (good for walking etc) but opens out to a good height (I am 6ft 3), is light and seems very strong. I have a Vanguard SBH100 ball head on it which is actually heavier than the 'pod. For summer hikes in the Alps I put on a smaller head which still does the job. I recommend this kit as it does everything I want. I did a lot of research before buying it and saved myself a lot on not buying a CF 'pod.
If I was getting it now I would get Vanguard's new version of the head which seems to be lighter and doesn't have the slight 'sag' which mine does.

I appreciate that the monopod offer from WEX is tempting though personally I have never got on with monopods.
If you live near a dealer I would go and try some pods out before choosing.

scottishphototours

Manfrotto every day. Save yourself a lot of grief and just buy the Manfrotto, you'll never regret it.

widtink
widtink e2 Member 1404 forum postswidtink vcard Scotland2 Constructive Critique Points
26 Jan 2013 - 5:12 PM

Thanks Andy , you got one on the shelf doing nothing lol Grin

Rod

adrian_w
adrian_w e2 Member 63201 forum postsadrian_w vcard Scotland4 Constructive Critique Points
26 Jan 2013 - 5:16 PM

Quote: Manfrotto 190XPROB Tripod with 496RC2 Head with free monopod

A good tripod combination. I bought this from Jacobs a few weeks before they went bust. Can't remember the price but it was about 120.
Not the lightest of weight for carrying around but sturdy enough for my use - mainly macro. I have a friend who uses one for birdwatching with a telescope. He took it to South Africa without problem
If WEX are throwing in a monopod as well thats even better, although they do take a bit of getting used to. I got a Velbon UP 4000 which I tend to use more as a walking aid than a photographic aid.

widtink
26 Jan 2013 - 5:46 PM

cheers thats very helpfull Grin

Sooty_1
Sooty_1 Critique Team 31125 forum posts United Kingdom192 Constructive Critique Points
26 Jan 2013 - 6:02 PM

I have had several, and find Manfrottos about the best. That ball head might not be as beefy as some, but I find them better for positioning the camera than pan/tilt heads in most situations and they don't have bits sticking out everywhere. Add a free monopod, and it sounds ok (but I rarely buy anything new anyway!).

It should last a long time, and you can always get a beefier ball head later on.

Nick

mikehit
mikehit e2 Member 45766 forum postsmikehit vcard United Kingdom9 Constructive Critique Points
26 Jan 2013 - 7:12 PM

I would second the Velbon for hiking - as seahawk says it is compact, light, a good height when extended and very, very stable. The size when collapsed in important because it reduces the amount the 'pod swings around when strapped to the side of my rucsack. If you like doing macro then the Manfrotto 190Xprob is better because the centre column can switch to horizontal.
I own both of these models and am happy using either depending on the occasion.

widtink
26 Jan 2013 - 7:40 PM

thanks mike and nick plenty to think about

User_Removed
26 Jan 2013 - 9:54 PM

Buy something that will last and will keep its value.

I've had Benbo and I've had Manfrotto, brilliant tripods. However I just bought a new tripod and for a change went for a Giottos as had heard good things about them. Fantastic bit of kit, very innovative.

Definitely look at Giottos, this is one of their best sellers watch the video and you'll soon see why.

I actually got this one, love the way the centre column can be altered - Check out the customer reviews on that page, you'll want one! SmileSmile

Eastlands
Eastlands e2 Member 3646 forum postsEastlands vcard Northern Ireland3 Constructive Critique Points
26 Jan 2013 - 10:10 PM

I bought a Jessops tripod years ago, waste of money, would blow over in a light breeze, go for quality like Manfrotto which I then went on to buy.

JJGEE
JJGEE  96103 forum posts England18 Constructive Critique Points
26 Jan 2013 - 10:12 PM

I have also had several tripods but for me these days there is only one option - Gitzo ( they are part of the Manfrotto group )

The series 3 are probably the best but series 2 should be OK for most situations.

scottishphototours

Quote: Thanks Andy , you got one on the shelf doing nothing lol Grin

Rod

Well as a matter of fact... no I don't Tongue

I use two at weddings - this beast here and also the 190 that you mentioned, both fitted with ball heads for speed of use.

Agree with some of the comments above re Giottos, which look quite good too. Make sure and not waste your money on the designer jewellery of tripods that is carbon fibre... Wink

widtink
27 Jan 2013 - 1:37 PM

No Andy i quickly sussed that one out (no got that sorta cash) the wex deal is very tempting SmileCheers for the advice once again

Rod

widtink
27 Jan 2013 - 1:40 PM

Andy this beast here is outa my league price -wise, lookin like the manfrotto 190 at the moment pal

Rod

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.