Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

• NEWS
  • REVIEWS
  • INSPIRATION
  • COMMUNITY
  • COMPETITIONS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here

Tripods in Natural History Museum

21 Feb 2012 8:10PM
Does anyone know if you can use a tripod in the museum without prior permission?
Jenni

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

mikehit e2
5 6.8k 11 United Kingdom
21 Feb 2012 8:13PM
If I recall correctly there was a copy of Digital SLR Photography where one of the readers did a location shoot in the museum and tripods were not allowed so I would check with the museum first. Even if tripods are not allowed, monopods should be OK.
Overread 6 3.8k 18 England
21 Feb 2012 9:10PM
Pretty sure they are not allowed, same as in nearly all museums - especially those that have a high turn over in visitors. Chances are even getting prior permission might be tricky unless you were going early in the morning, off-peek (eg during the working week).

Monopods are normally fine and if they don't want you can use a line. That is take a regular quick release plate and on the bottom is normally a ringpull - tie a length of string to the ring and then dangle it down, attach a weight to the end and then step upon the weight - set so that there is enough string for you to pull it tight when shooting.
Coleslaw e2
9 13.4k 28 Wales
21 Feb 2012 9:27PM
Take a mini tripod, get there first thing in the morning, get up to the top floor, you should be able to take some photos before/if someone stops you.
No one stopped us last time when we went in the summer (big mistake btw), we had mini tripod, gorillapod (crap btw) etc. But we only did that on the top floor.
tpfkapm 3 146 United Kingdom
21 Feb 2012 10:19PM
i use a gorilla pod ( good btw) to steady myself and they work v well

you might get away with a monopod

but don't go at peak times as it gets very crowded
MeanGreeny 9 3.7k England
21 Feb 2012 10:36PM
Make and use a StringPod

Google is your friend
discreetphoton e2
10 3.5k 20 United Kingdom
21 Feb 2012 10:45PM
They don't allow tripods. Neither do the British Museum. You can apply for permits, but I believe that they are generally for after-hours, and there is a fee involved which is almost certainly prohibitive if it's for personal use.
mikehit e2
5 6.8k 11 United Kingdom
22 Feb 2012 8:45AM
I used to ahve a very lightweight triopd that collapsed to about 9" and I used to either let it hang loose from the baseplate as a counterweight to damp any movement or set the head at 90 degrees and use it as a riflebutt grip which worked quite well.
macroman 11 15.3k England
22 Feb 2012 2:32PM
I have often considered the idea of using a folding Zimmer frame with tripod bush attached in public areas.

They wouldn't dare confront a 'disabled' person...would they? Grin

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.