Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Tripods in Natural History Museum

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

Leave a Comment
    • «
    • »
    jennialexander
    jennialexander e2 Member 1045 forum postsjennialexander vcard United Kingdom
    21 Feb 2012 - 8:10 PM

Does anyone know if you can use a tripod in the museum without prior permission?
    Jenni

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links 
    21 Feb 2012 - 8:10 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

mikehit
    mikehit  56474 forum posts United Kingdom9 Constructive Critique Points
    21 Feb 2012 - 8:13 PM

If I recall correctly there was a copy of Digital SLR Photography where one of the readers did a location shoot in the museum and tripods were not allowed so I would check with the museum first. Even if tripods are not allowed, monopods should be OK.

Overread
    Overread  63763 forum posts England18 Constructive Critique Points
    21 Feb 2012 - 9:10 PM

Pretty sure they are not allowed, same as in nearly all museums - especially those that have a high turn over in visitors. Chances are even getting prior permission might be tricky unless you were going early in the morning, off-peek (eg during the working week).

Monopods are normally fine and if they don't want you can use a line. That is take a regular quick release plate and on the bottom is normally a ringpull - tie a length of string to the ring and then dangle it down, attach a weight to the end and then step upon the weight - set so that there is enough string for you to pull it tight when shooting.

Coleslaw
    Coleslaw e2 Member 913403 forum postsColeslaw vcard Wales28 Constructive Critique Points
    21 Feb 2012 - 9:27 PM

Take a mini tripod, get there first thing in the morning, get up to the top floor, you should be able to take some photos before/if someone stops you.
    No one stopped us last time when we went in the summer (big mistake btw), we had mini tripod, gorillapod (crap btw) etc. But we only did that on the top floor.

Last Modified By Coleslaw at 21 Feb 2012 - 9:27 PM
    tpfkapm
    tpfkapm  3142 forum posts United Kingdom
    21 Feb 2012 - 10:19 PM

i use a gorilla pod ( good btw) to steady myself and they work v well

you might get away with a monopod

but don't go at peak times as it gets very crowded

MeanGreeny
    21 Feb 2012 - 10:36 PM

Make and use a StringPod

Google is your friend

discreetphoton
    discreetphoton Site Moderator 93453 forum postsdiscreetphoton vcard United Kingdom20 Constructive Critique Points
    21 Feb 2012 - 10:45 PM

They don't allow tripods. Neither do the British Museum. You can apply for permits, but I believe that they are generally for after-hours, and there is a fee involved which is almost certainly prohibitive if it's for personal use.

Last Modified By discreetphoton at 21 Feb 2012 - 10:46 PM
    mikehit
    mikehit  56474 forum posts United Kingdom9 Constructive Critique Points
    22 Feb 2012 - 8:45 AM

I used to ahve a very lightweight triopd that collapsed to about 9" and I used to either let it hang loose from the baseplate as a counterweight to damp any movement or set the head at 90 degrees and use it as a riflebutt grip which worked quite well.

macroman
    macroman  1115312 forum posts England
    22 Feb 2012 - 2:32 PM

I have often considered the idea of using a folding Zimmer frame with tripod bush attached in public areas.

They wouldn't dare confront a 'disabled' person...would they? Grin

• «
    • »

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
    Password:
    Remember me:
    Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.