Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

• NEWS
  • REVIEWS
  • INSPIRATION
  • COMMUNITY
  • COMPETITIONS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here

Triton power shower tripping RCD

17 Feb 2013 8:33PM
Hi everyone, does anyone out there know much about power showers? We have a Triton AS2000xt power shower and eveytime the isolation switch is turned on it trips the RCD and most of our electricity goes off. The electricity is fine if the shower is isolated. Does anybody know the likely cause and if its a replaceable part or new a shower?
Many thanks
Keith
Ps...this is a power shower (built in pump) and not an electric shower

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

oldblokeh e2
3 925 United Kingdom
17 Feb 2013 8:47PM
Neutral to earth short somewhere? Possibly a noise suppression capacitor gone short?
17 Feb 2013 8:55PM
Thanks for your answer. Will check during this week. I wasnt sure if somebody else might have had the same problem and known if a new shower was needed. I will bear your answer in mind though and thanks again for the reply.
Keith
oldblokeh e2
3 925 United Kingdom
17 Feb 2013 9:02PM
Good luck! This site offers spares: http://www.showerdoc.com/triton-as2000xt-power-shower-spares

I've not tried it myself and I'm sure there are suppliers.

Try isolating it at your consumer unit (remove fuse/flip the breaker) and try measuring resistance of neutral to earth and live to earth on the shower side inside the isolating switch. Then try working forward to trace the fault. Do be careful and use a voltmeter to verify that the circuit is properly isolated at the consumer unit. If in doubt, GAMI.
andart e2
12 491 United Kingdom
17 Feb 2013 9:30PM
does the shower have an on/off switch (in addition to the isolator)? If it has then turn it to off and turn the isolator on - if the RCD trips then the fault could be in the isolator switch.
17 Feb 2013 9:36PM
Thanks everyone. I think if its not a case of simply just replacing a part I will leave the electrics to an electrician though. I'm ok swapping a part but thats about my limit and I dont want to risk making a mistake. Hope I dont sound ungrateful as your input really is appreciated.
Keith
thewilliam e2
6 4.9k
17 Feb 2013 11:32PM
There's a good reason why electrical work in kitchens and bathrooms must be done by an electrician who has a P certificate.
oldblokeh e2
3 925 United Kingdom
18 Feb 2013 6:48AM

Quote:There's a good reason why electrical work in kitchens and bathrooms must be done by an electrician who has a P certificate.

Yes, It's a great money making scheme for local government and regulatory bodies. As far as I remember, part P still permits simple repairs.

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.