Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Triton power shower tripping RCD

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

55% OFF new PortraitPro 12 - use code EPHZROS414.
Leave a Comment
    • «
    • »
    Keith-Mckevitt
    17 Feb 2013 - 8:33 PM

Hi everyone, does anyone out there know much about power showers? We have a Triton AS2000xt power shower and eveytime the isolation switch is turned on it trips the RCD and most of our electricity goes off. The electricity is fine if the shower is isolated. Does anybody know the likely cause and if its a replaceable part or new a shower?
    Many thanks
    Keith
    Ps...this is a power shower (built in pump) and not an electric shower

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links 
    17 Feb 2013 - 8:33 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

oldblokeh
    oldblokeh  2722 forum posts United Kingdom
    17 Feb 2013 - 8:47 PM

Neutral to earth short somewhere? Possibly a noise suppression capacitor gone short?

Keith-Mckevitt
    17 Feb 2013 - 8:55 PM

Thanks for your answer. Will check during this week. I wasnt sure if somebody else might have had the same problem and known if a new shower was needed. I will bear your answer in mind though and thanks again for the reply.
    Keith

oldblokeh
    17 Feb 2013 - 9:02 PM

Good luck! This site offers spares: http://www.showerdoc.com/triton-as2000xt-power-shower-spares

I've not tried it myself and I'm sure there are suppliers.

Try isolating it at your consumer unit (remove fuse/flip the breaker) and try measuring resistance of neutral to earth and live to earth on the shower side inside the isolating switch. Then try working forward to trace the fault. Do be careful and use a voltmeter to verify that the circuit is properly isolated at the consumer unit. If in doubt, GAMI.

Last Modified By oldblokeh at 17 Feb 2013 - 9:03 PM
    andart
    andart  12478 forum posts United Kingdom
    17 Feb 2013 - 9:30 PM

does the shower have an on/off switch (in addition to the isolator)? If it has then turn it to off and turn the isolator on - if the RCD trips then the fault could be in the isolator switch.

Keith-Mckevitt
    17 Feb 2013 - 9:36 PM

Thanks everyone. I think if its not a case of simply just replacing a part I will leave the electrics to an electrician though. I'm ok swapping a part but thats about my limit and I dont want to risk making a mistake. Hope I dont sound ungrateful as your input really is appreciated.
    Keith

thewilliam
    17 Feb 2013 - 11:32 PM

There's a good reason why electrical work in kitchens and bathrooms must be done by an electrician who has a P certificate.

Last Modified By thewilliam at 17 Feb 2013 - 11:33 PM
    oldblokeh
    18 Feb 2013 - 6:48 AM

Quote: There's a good reason why electrical work in kitchens and bathrooms must be done by an electrician who has a P certificate.

Yes, It's a great money making scheme for local government and regulatory bodies. As far as I remember, part P still permits simple repairs.

• «
    • »

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
    Password:
    Remember me:
    Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.