Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Trouble logging on.

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

MikeRC
MikeRC e2 Member 93488 forum postsMikeRC vcard United Kingdom
9 Jul 2012 - 3:00 PM

Hi...for the last few weeks I've been having trouble logging onto the internet, each day it has got progressively worse.
I'm with TalkTalk...once I eventually get on I can log on and off any number of times but that initial start up is becoming a nightmare.
Yesterday it only took me an hour but today it took me over two hours.
It seemed to start after the onset of some bad weather a few weeks ago.
The programs on the computer work fine as does the internet once I get on.

Anyone suggest something I can try to improve things ? ...thanks...Mike

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
9 Jul 2012 - 3:00 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

JJGEE
JJGEE  96225 forum posts England18 Constructive Critique Points
9 Jul 2012 - 3:15 PM

Sorry, no I cannot.

I have had the same issues for almost a week now.

"Server Not Found", "Address Not Found"

with epz getting messages along the bottom that it is trying to connect to facebook, twitter, sd7, google maps etc etc....... takes ages or times out ! !

Talk Talk have a recorded message blaming the bad weather and pointing out that other internet service providers are having the same issues for their customers.

Not only epz but I am having problems accessing quite a few websites but strangely some have no problems at all.

answersonapostcard
answersonapostcard Site Moderator 1012549 forum postsanswersonapostcard vcard United Kingdom15 Constructive Critique Points
9 Jul 2012 - 3:15 PM

Not anything to do with this is it http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-18735228

JJGEE
9 Jul 2012 - 3:22 PM

Quote: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-18735228

This is where the link takes me Sad

internet.jpg

answersonapostcard
answersonapostcard Site Moderator 1012549 forum postsanswersonapostcard vcard United Kingdom15 Constructive Critique Points
9 Jul 2012 - 3:25 PM

COPIED FROM THE BBC FOR REFERENCE

FBI net shut off has 'limited' impact on victims
Domain check Online tools can help people find out if their machine is still infected

'Massive' web crime ring smashed
FBI targets 'scareware' sellers
Russian spam mastermind jailed

More than 300,000 people, including many in the US and UK, may have lost net access as the FBI shuts down servers used by cyber thieves.

The FBI seized the servers in November 2011 during raids to break up a hi-tech gang who used the DNS Changer virus to infect more than four million victims.

Victims' web searches were routed through the servers so they saw adverts that led to the gang being paid.

Many machines still harbour the gang's malicious code.
Global clean up

Since the computers were seized the FBI has kept them going with the help of Californian company ISC.

Over the last few months, the FBI has worked with many ISPs and security firms to alert victims to the fact that their PC was infected with DNS Changer. Online tools are available that let people check if they are infected.

The servers were finally switched off at 1201 EDT (0401 GMT) when the court order the FBI won to keep the computers going expired.

The result could be that people have lost net access because PCs that are still victims of DNS Changer now have nowhere to go when they need to look up the location of a particular domain such as bbc.co.uk.
Continue reading the main story
Top 10 DNS Changer infections

US - 69,517
Italy - 26,494
India - 21,302
UK - 19,589
Germany - 18,427
France, 10,454
China - 10,304
Spain - 10,213
Canada - 8,924
Australia - 8,518

However, it might take some time for the problems to become apparent, said Sean Sullivan, a security researcher at F-Secure.

"Initially some domains will be cached which will mean web access will be spotty," he said. "People will be confused about why some things work and some do not."

Other security experts said the remaining infected machines may harbour the malware for some time to come.

"Reaching victims is a very hard problem, and something we have had issues with for years," said Johannes Ullrich, a researcher with the Sans security institute.

He expected the impact to be "minimal" because many of these systems were no longer used or maintained.

Early reports suggest the turn off had not caused any problems. South Korea was one of the first geographies that could have suffered the effects.

"The impact will be limited," said Lee Sang-hun, head of network security at the country's Communications Commission. Statistics gathered by the DNS Changer Working Group (DCWG) suggest only a few thousand machines were at risk of losing access in Korea.

The DCWG said the largest group of machines still harbouring the infection were in the US but many other nations, including Italy, India, the UK and Germany, had substantial numbers checking in with the ISC servers.

Some ISPs in the US put in place "technical solutions" in place that would direct people towards sources of aid.

At its height, DNS Changer racked up more than four million victims. This has been whittled down to just over 300,000, said the DCWG.

The gang racked up more than $14m (9m) by hijacking web searches and forcing victims to see certain adverts. They managed to do this because their servers were taking over a key web function known as domain name look-up.

Domain names are the words humans use, such as bbc.co.uk, for websites. These are converted into the numerical values that computers use by consulting domain name servers (DNS).

When a person types a name into a browser address bar, often their computer will consult a DNS server to find out where that website resides online.

Are you concerned that you will be affected? What checks have you made? Share your comments and experiences.

Last Modified By answersonapostcard at 9 Jul 2012 - 3:25 PM
JJGEE
9 Jul 2012 - 3:32 PM

Thanks for that info.

User_Removed
9 Jul 2012 - 3:46 PM

Go here to see if you are affected

Click on the relevant Language link and, if you're clean, then you will see the image on K's BBC link. If the BG is red - you are infected.

Try here for 'cleaners'.

Last Modified By User_Removed at 9 Jul 2012 - 3:53 PM
JackAllTog
JackAllTog e2 Member 53540 forum postsJackAllTog vcard United Kingdom58 Constructive Critique Points
9 Jul 2012 - 4:16 PM

Quote: having trouble logging onto the internet, each day it has got progressively worse.
I'm with TalkTalk...once I eventually get on I can log on and off any number of times but that initial start up is becoming a nightmare.

It seemed to start after the onset of some bad weather a few weeks ago.

I don't quite get the logging on bit? (mine is just always on)
Is this a normal broadband over you phone line or a USB dongle with TalkTalk.

Do you turn your router off at night and back on only when you use it? ( If so can you leave it on instead) ?
Are you logging on to Talk Talk each time? If so it does sound like their Radius authentication server is very slow - thier issue.
Also an unflatering article on talktalk here.

When you are on what speed do you get www.speedtest.net see if you have a very slow connection.

Keep on the line to them and get them to fix the issue.

Good luck
Stuart

JackAllTog
JackAllTog e2 Member 53540 forum postsJackAllTog vcard United Kingdom58 Constructive Critique Points
9 Jul 2012 - 4:17 PM

Oh and here is a trusted web based scanned in case you PC is infected - http://housecall.trendmicro.com/uk/

robthecamman
9 Jul 2012 - 4:58 PM

i ditched talktalk a month ago best thing i did

MikeRC
MikeRC e2 Member 93488 forum postsMikeRC vcard United Kingdom
9 Jul 2012 - 5:37 PM

....what a bloody nightmare.

Quote: I don't quite get the logging on bit? (mine is just always on)
Is this a normal broadband over you phone line or a USB dongle with TalkTalk.

Do you turn your router off at night and back on only when you use it? ( If so can you leave it on instead) ?
Are you logging on to Talk Talk each time? If so it does sound like their Radius authentication server is very slow - thier issue.

Hi Jack...I'm not sure of the terminology.....

I turn my computer on in the morning... at say 7am. and I log onto the internet.
I check the weather....saves me looking out of the window Smile
I check my emails and delete the first dozen of the daily 50 crap messages.
I check the Ephotozine page for new/interesting messages/articles.
I check another 2 non photographic sites for any interesting items.
I log off from the internet but leave my computer on all day...switching the monitor off.
....depending on the level of boredom in my exciting day, I'll come back to the computer once or a dozen times doing much the same thing.

If I wish to look at my photos on my computer I don't "log on" unless I wish to look at my pf. ...then I have to.
At say 11pm. I shut down the computer and turn all power off.

I assume the router is on all day 'til I shut down at night.

I've typed all that and it don't mean a thing, do it Smile

I logged onto that "Speedtest" and it told me nothing.

cheers.....Mike

Pete
Pete Site Moderator 1318434 forum postsPete vcard ePz Advertiser England96 Constructive Critique Points
9 Jul 2012 - 5:53 PM

I had issues with talk talk when they took over Pipex and transferred me to a talk talk account. I often had slow downs on internet and wireless was dreadful from certain gadgets. It turns out the router they supplied likes being switched off and back on now and again (to reset). Also the ADSL converter was old and tired (that's the little adaptor that plugs into your telephone socket and then the router plugs into the other end. Also there's an option in the router settings (that you have to log into as an ip address from your computer) to change the channel used. The call centre can actually be very helpful and if you have a talk talk line they don't charge. They can run through a test of your socket, line strength and then router settings. Worth a shot if you haven't tried already.

JackAllTog
9 Jul 2012 - 5:54 PM

OK, so the log on bit is always after the router has powered up - particularly during the day. So its this bit that is taking ages - its TalkTlaks authentication servers at their end - sorry but you will need to have them look at the problem. Prepare to be on customer hold for a while.

Or consider switching to virgin or BT - may be quicker if your out of contract.

JJGEE
9 Jul 2012 - 8:01 PM

Quote: its TalkTlaks authentication servers at their end - sorry but you will need to have them look at the problem

So
a) it is not really my computer that is at fault
b) it is not really my modem / router that is at fault
c) I do not have to take out a contract with them in order to get a new modem / router free of charge.

Apparently my contract expired in 2009 and do not have one.
So does that make it easier for me to jump ship and go elsewhere ?

Quote: Also the ADSL converter was old and tired

Mine is 8 years old so can I buy a new one somewhere else or does it have to be supplied by my ISP ?

Last Modified By JJGEE at 9 Jul 2012 - 8:01 PM
robthecamman
9 Jul 2012 - 8:04 PM

if uv no contract it wont cost if you leave

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.