Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Trouble with Nikon D50 - not taking photos

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

Leave a Comment
    • «
    • »
    Nikkip61
    Nikkip61  4
    29 Jan 2013 - 4:47 PM

I used this camera today several time with no problem, then 5minutes after I last used it I went to use it again and it wouldn't take photos. It seems to focus but then not take the picture. After reading some trouble shooting advice on google I found if I pressed the AE-L AF-L button first it would take the photo. I have reset it and tried cleaning lenses and body with a soft cloth but nothing has helped. Any other solutions or anyone had the same problem?!?!
    Thanks in advance

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links 
    29 Jan 2013 - 4:47 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

mikehit
    mikehit  46102 forum posts United Kingdom9 Constructive Critique Points
    29 Jan 2013 - 5:24 PM

The only thing I can think of is focussing - on Canon models, if it is set in one-shot mode it will not fire until it hits focus. If Nikon do the same, maybe you have de-linked (?) AF from the shutter release button? This would explain why it works when you pres the AF-L button.
    Turn the lens to manual focus and see if it fires.

Graysta
    Graysta  91131 forum posts England
    29 Jan 2013 - 8:08 PM

Tried your manual?

janeez
    janeez e2 Member 51161 forum postsjaneez vcard United Kingdom8 Constructive Critique Points
    30 Jan 2013 - 7:04 AM

Have you switched the auto focus/manual button over on the front by accident.

LenShepherd
    LenShepherd e2 Member 62425 forum postsLenShepherd vcard United Kingdom
    30 Jan 2013 - 7:34 AM

Can you take a picture using manual focus?
    If yes it is likely the camera is set not to take a picture using autofocus unless it is clearly recognised by the autofocus system. There are a few subjects that autofocus may not detect. The camera can be set not to take a photograph when it cannot detect the intended subject.

Nikkip61
    Nikkip61  4
    30 Jan 2013 - 9:29 AM

Thanks for the possible solutions, It doesn't take photos in manual either, only way it will take them is if I press the AE-L AF-L button first. Have tried everything suggested here and through googling and can't for the life of me work it out, pretty sure I didn't press or alter anything as it worked fine 5 mins before, which makes me think it may be mechanical!?? My next problem is to find a camera shop to take a look as the only one we had locally was Jessops.
    Anyone know of anywhere in Shrophire?
    x

janeez
    janeez e2 Member 51161 forum postsjaneez vcard United Kingdom8 Constructive Critique Points
    30 Jan 2013 - 9:47 AM

Sounds like the shutter mechanism may have failed. Happened on my old D80. Easily repaired but may cost in region of 100. I used a company called 1st Aid Repairs who were very quick, reasonably priced and did an excellent job. Good communication from them as well and a lot cheaper than many others.

janeez
    30 Jan 2013 - 9:48 AM

Update on last comment. You will need to send your camera to them but it is very straightforward and will save you money as well.

KNS
    KNS  4106 forum posts United Kingdom2 Constructive Critique Points
    30 Jan 2013 - 12:52 PM

Go into the menu system of the D50 -

goto the wrench/spanner menu,

enter csm/setup menu item - make it is set to detailed

Back out to main menu

Goto to pencil menu

Goto item 14 (ael/afl)

Change from af - on to ae lock only

And that should sort you out Smile

KNS
    KNS  4106 forum posts United Kingdom2 Constructive Critique Points
    31 Jan 2013 - 6:44 PM

Don't know why I bothered.....that's it with these forums for me I think.

User_Removed
    31 Jan 2013 - 8:23 PM

Quote: Don't know why I bothered.....that's it with these forums for me I think.

Don't let it get to you Kevin/Seri.

Even if the OP does not have the courtesy to acknowledge your attempt to help, there are possibly many other readers who will pick up some wisdom from your contribution.

oldblokeh
    oldblokeh  3762 forum posts United Kingdom
    31 Jan 2013 - 8:45 PM

The OP hasn't logged in since yesterday and may well have no idea that you've offered advice.

• «
    • »

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
    Password:
    Remember me:
    Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.