Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Trying to view photos on my TV

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

Teresa46
3 Feb 2014 - 9:16 PM

Hi all,
Can anyone please help me with a problem.

I am trying to create a cd of photos that I can watch on my TV via the DVD player in the side of the TV. The TV book states that I can view a jpeg slideshow.

I have burned a selection of jpeg images onto a cd and inserted it into the player. Everything works OK and a slideshow is shown except that any straight lines in the images appear ragged and there seems to be a lot of colour "bleeding" around the edges.

I am a complete novice in these things and need some help with this.........please.

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
3 Feb 2014 - 9:16 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

Teresa46
3 Feb 2014 - 9:43 PM

Been fumbling around in the dark about this and I may have come up with the answer.

The only discs I have are CD-R and that what I used to burn the images onto.

Should I have used DVDs.....or is there any difference?

Umberto_Vanni
Umberto_Vanni e2 Member 9357 forum postsUmberto_Vanni vcard Scotland
3 Feb 2014 - 9:53 PM

Sounds like a setting problem. The fact you used a CD-R shouldn't make any difference. Check the settings on the TV, particularly the input settings if it has them. I'm guessing it may be set to 1080i instead of 1080p.

Incidentally did you use the default settings to burn the CD-R on your burner software?

Teresa46
3 Feb 2014 - 9:57 PM

I think so, at least I just pressed the buttons presented

Teresa46
3 Feb 2014 - 11:46 PM

I have been trying to look at some slideshow making software but it all looks very complicated.

Can anyone give me a pointer to a very simple program for making slideshows to show on TV.

Something that is very, very basic and very, very simple to use.

Thanks in advance

weseeyou
weseeyou  3112 forum posts
4 Feb 2014 - 10:53 AM

why not use goggle's Picasa ?
Then you could play it through the TV using a VGA or HDMi lead from your PC and set your TV to P in P mode (picture in picture )
or you could burn the slideshow to DVD or Memory stick if your TV supports memory stick .

Creating a slideshow in Picasa

CTee
CTee  768 forum posts United Kingdom
4 Feb 2014 - 11:39 AM

Hi, assuming you are using windows you could download Microsoft Movie Maker in the MS Windows Essentials suite.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-gb/windows-live/essentials make sure when you save you select the preset nearest to your tv.

Paul Morgan
Paul Morgan e2 Member 1315163 forum postsPaul Morgan vcard England6 Constructive Critique Points
4 Feb 2014 - 5:49 PM

Media Player ?

Teresa46
5 Feb 2014 - 1:30 AM

Thanks weseeyou, but I want to create a slideshow disc that I can send to relatives/friends and that they can watch them on tv .

I have tried media player and a few other similar programs but I cannot get anything like the quality of the slide show on the PC.

Its probably something I am not doing right but I am thinking that DVD slideshows on TV are never the same quality as on the PC?

Last Modified By Teresa46 at 5 Feb 2014 - 1:34 AM
adrian_w
adrian_w e2 Member 73298 forum postsadrian_w vcard Scotland4 Constructive Critique Points
5 Feb 2014 - 11:22 AM

Quote: I am thinking that DVD slideshows on TV are never the same quality as on the PC?

There is a way to do it but it will cost about $70.
Photodex publish a program called Pro Show Gold, which is used to make audio-visual slide presentations.
These can be "exported" to PC Executable (ie run on PCs), Blue ray & DVD players. You would need to play around with the output settings to get the optimal playback appearance for DVD.
It is a great program, and relatively easy to learn, but may be a bit overkill for your needs.

Teresa46
5 Feb 2014 - 8:36 PM

Thanks Adrian, I downloaded the demo just to try it and it worked a treat. Great quality slideshow played in the DVD player on the side of the TV.

Very easy and quick to create a simple slideshow with loads of possibilities for more elaborate shows.

Exactly what I wanted.

Thanks a million.

ps...$70 is not out of line for this.

Last Modified By Teresa46 at 5 Feb 2014 - 8:37 PM
Paul Morgan
Paul Morgan e2 Member 1315163 forum postsPaul Morgan vcard England6 Constructive Critique Points
5 Feb 2014 - 10:38 PM

Why not just simply burn your files to a DVD, most DVD players all ready have the software built into them to play slide shows from Jpeg files, there is no fancy software needed.

Teresa46
5 Feb 2014 - 11:44 PM

Hi Paul, I have tried that many times with limited success.
When I simply burned JPEGS to a DVD , via Lightroom 4, I did get a disc that played a slideshow through my DVD player.
The problem is that the quality of the image was terrible, any straight edges were jagged and everything was very contrasty and looked grossly oversharpened. (not an experts opinion, only mine)
If I was to play the same disc on my PC, then the slideshow was perfect quality.

The images that I started with were excellent quality and I just couldent use what I was getting.

Having tried 4/5 trial software packages, ProShow Gold was the only one that was simple and worked perfectly. The slideshow that I am getting on my TV now is as good as on the PC.

ProShow was so simple and quick, I thought it well worth the price.

adrian_w
adrian_w e2 Member 73298 forum postsadrian_w vcard Scotland4 Constructive Critique Points
6 Feb 2014 - 12:14 AM

Quote: ProShow was so simple and quick, I thought it well worth the price.

And you will have barely scratched the surface of what it can do.
A very powerful program when you get to understand it fully.

babajoshua
babajoshua e2 Member 6babajoshua vcard United Kingdom
10 Feb 2014 - 12:51 AM

Hi there another programme that i can suggest and one I have used over many years is made by Magix. This is called, magix movie maker. It has many different transitions and allows you to put music to the slideshow. If you go to the Magix website you can often download it for free for a trial period. As for the jagged edges. If you have attempted to sharpen any of the images and have done it a little to much, that can be the result.

Steve

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.