Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

• NEWS
  • REVIEWS
  • INSPIRATION
  • COMMUNITY
  • COMPETITIONS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here

TV's portrayal of Photo Studio in Aylesbury

miptog 9 3.5k 61 United Kingdom
22 Feb 2013 2:33PM
The Fixer - Peachy Pics

Did anyone see this programme last Tuesday 19 Feb on BBC2, and what did you think of it. Are there lessons to be learnt?

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

Newdevonian 2 439 United Kingdom
22 Feb 2013 2:47PM
Never employ your children.
Carabosse e2
11 39.5k 269 England
22 Feb 2013 2:54PM
Yes, it was almost painful to watch! Grin

Mother and plus 3 daughters who looked like they were happy to sponge off mum doing very little, and would find difficulty getting proper employment. Two of the duagthers should have been sacked.... the business could not possibly justify more than 2 people. Felt sorry for the mother who is a cancer survivor; the business is to some extent recovery therapy.
robway e2
9 317 Wales
22 Feb 2013 3:01PM

Quote:Never employ your children.

Or her children !
GazzaG2003 11 252 England
22 Feb 2013 5:55PM
Thanks for the link, what an eye opener!
22 Feb 2013 7:00PM
Fascinating to watch and a real eyeopener especially when they went to visit a pro studio, if you google the business name the studio is still not ready and two daughters have gone, one left plus a new person, got to admire her for having a go, she was passionate about her photography.
SlowSong e2
6 4.6k 29 England
22 Feb 2013 7:01PM
It was very interesting. They were all sitting around with no customers - but why weren't they out taking photographs - of anything???
Paul Morgan e2
13 15.7k 6 England
22 Feb 2013 7:32PM
And they have changed there name Smile
Hugo 9 640 United Kingdom
22 Feb 2013 7:57PM
Hmm....Don't think that long term it will work out - they just don't seem to 'get it' - I can't imagine they'll be here in 5 years.

Found a website - but it hardly says "photography" to me http://www.peachlanestudios.co.uk/

Some of their Facebook posts don't really sell them selves at their best

Quote:Peach Lane Studios
12 February
Our studio isn't ready yet but we have a photoshoot tomorrow afternoon. Luckily it's a relative and I'm sure they won't mind what the rest of the place looks like. Smile

janeez e2
6 1.2k 8 United Kingdom
22 Feb 2013 8:11PM
It was a very interesting and frustrating programme. You can see how irritated Alex Pollizzi gets with these people. Mum's background story was very sad and she was trying but those girls needed a kick up the proverbial rear end. I cannot see how that business can survive without having a really motivated, "go get 'em" person running it and I'm not sure she has that sort of personality. Sad
scottishphototours 10 2.5k 2 Scotland
22 Feb 2013 9:11PM
Great program which should be an eye-opener for all those fools on here and elsewhere who want to be a "pro" after giving up their day job...

Three major business truths came out:

1 - The high street and shopping centres are dead.
2 - You need to be a business-person first and a photographer second.
3 - You need to turnover at least 75k and make a profit to pay yourself a salary.

Three major photographic truths came out:

1 - You have to want to do it - the mother did, the daughters didn't.
2 - The idea behind the image is everything.
3 - You'll spend very little time taking pictures.

One of the best programs on the photography business I've ever seen.
irishman 10 1.1k 2 Ireland
22 Feb 2013 9:27PM
As in all of these programes. they are made for TV and do not tell the truth in what is actually happening in real life.
thewilliam 6 4.7k
22 Feb 2013 9:33PM
Andy Lane is one of the nicest people that you'll ever meet but she over-indulged her children. If all four of them had pulled together, they could have made a success of the business but the daughters didn't even follow the very sensible suggestions that Alex made.

Most new businesses fail because life is tough. Peachy Pics was by no means the worst-run photography business and I've mentored some in a far worse state.

It should be a warning to all wannabees
Coleslaw e2
9 13.4k 28 Wales
22 Feb 2013 9:49PM
thewilliam 6 4.7k
22 Feb 2013 10:10PM
My last post was sloppily worded. I was never Andy's mentor, and I only know her because she was a fellow member of a professional association. I've never met anybody who hasn't have a kind word for Andy. The programme wasn't happy viewing because it didn't seem very friendly to the family.

We need to remember that the first priority of the production company was to make a good television programme rather than to help Andy.

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.