Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

TV's portrayal of Photo Studio in Aylesbury

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

miptog
miptog  83532 forum posts United Kingdom61 Constructive Critique Points
22 Feb 2013 - 2:33 PM

The Fixer - Peachy Pics

Did anyone see this programme last Tuesday 19 Feb on BBC2, and what did you think of it. Are there lessons to be learnt?

Last Modified By miptog at 22 Feb 2013 - 2:33 PM
Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
22 Feb 2013 - 2:33 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

Newdevonian
22 Feb 2013 - 2:47 PM

Never employ your children.

Carabosse
Carabosse e2 Member 1139385 forum postsCarabosse vcard England269 Constructive Critique Points
22 Feb 2013 - 2:54 PM

Yes, it was almost painful to watch! Grin

Mother and plus 3 daughters who looked like they were happy to sponge off mum doing very little, and would find difficulty getting proper employment. Two of the duagthers should have been sacked.... the business could not possibly justify more than 2 people. Felt sorry for the mother who is a cancer survivor; the business is to some extent recovery therapy.

robway
robway e2 Member 9317 forum postsrobway vcard Wales
22 Feb 2013 - 3:01 PM

Quote: Never employ your children.

Or her children !

GazzaG2003
GazzaG2003  11252 forum posts England
22 Feb 2013 - 5:55 PM

Thanks for the link, what an eye opener!

RoyChilds
RoyChilds e2 Member 655 forum postsRoyChilds vcard England
22 Feb 2013 - 7:00 PM

Fascinating to watch and a real eyeopener especially when they went to visit a pro studio, if you google the business name the studio is still not ready and two daughters have gone, one left plus a new person, got to admire her for having a go, she was passionate about her photography.

SlowSong
SlowSong e2 Member 54168 forum postsSlowSong vcard England28 Constructive Critique Points
22 Feb 2013 - 7:01 PM

It was very interesting. They were all sitting around with no customers - but why weren't they out taking photographs - of anything???

Paul Morgan
Paul Morgan e2 Member 1314803 forum postsPaul Morgan vcard England6 Constructive Critique Points
22 Feb 2013 - 7:32 PM

And they have changed there name Smile

Hugo
Hugo  9635 forum posts United Kingdom
22 Feb 2013 - 7:57 PM

Hmm....Don't think that long term it will work out - they just don't seem to 'get it' - I can't imagine they'll be here in 5 years.

Found a website - but it hardly says "photography" to me http://www.peachlanestudios.co.uk/

Some of their Facebook posts don't really sell them selves at their best

Quote: Peach Lane Studios
12 February
Our studio isn't ready yet but we have a photoshoot tomorrow afternoon. Luckily it's a relative and I'm sure they won't mind what the rest of the place looks like. Smile

janeez
janeez e2 Member 51161 forum postsjaneez vcard United Kingdom8 Constructive Critique Points
22 Feb 2013 - 8:11 PM

It was a very interesting and frustrating programme. You can see how irritated Alex Pollizzi gets with these people. Mum's background story was very sad and she was trying but those girls needed a kick up the proverbial rear end. I cannot see how that business can survive without having a really motivated, "go get 'em" person running it and I'm not sure she has that sort of personality. Sad

scottishphototours

Great program which should be an eye-opener for all those fools on here and elsewhere who want to be a "pro" after giving up their day job...

Three major business truths came out:

1 - The high street and shopping centres are dead.
2 - You need to be a business-person first and a photographer second.
3 - You need to turnover at least 75k and make a profit to pay yourself a salary.

Three major photographic truths came out:

1 - You have to want to do it - the mother did, the daughters didn't.
2 - The idea behind the image is everything.
3 - You'll spend very little time taking pictures.

One of the best programs on the photography business I've ever seen.

irishman
irishman  101118 forum posts Ireland2 Constructive Critique Points
22 Feb 2013 - 9:27 PM

As in all of these programes. they are made for TV and do not tell the truth in what is actually happening in real life.

thewilliam
22 Feb 2013 - 9:33 PM

Andy Lane is one of the nicest people that you'll ever meet but she over-indulged her children. If all four of them had pulled together, they could have made a success of the business but the daughters didn't even follow the very sensible suggestions that Alex made.

Most new businesses fail because life is tough. Peachy Pics was by no means the worst-run photography business and I've mentored some in a far worse state.

It should be a warning to all wannabees

Last Modified By thewilliam at 22 Feb 2013 - 9:34 PM
Coleslaw
Coleslaw e2 Member 813402 forum postsColeslaw vcard Wales28 Constructive Critique Points
22 Feb 2013 - 9:49 PM

But, did you see this image on the wall in Getty gallery?

thewilliam
22 Feb 2013 - 10:10 PM

My last post was sloppily worded. I was never Andy's mentor, and I only know her because she was a fellow member of a professional association. I've never met anybody who hasn't have a kind word for Andy. The programme wasn't happy viewing because it didn't seem very friendly to the family.

We need to remember that the first priority of the production company was to make a good television programme rather than to help Andy.

Last Modified By thewilliam at 22 Feb 2013 - 10:15 PM

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.