Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

TV's portrayal of Photo Studio in Aylesbury

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

Carabosse
Carabosse e2 Member 1139392 forum postsCarabosse vcard England269 Constructive Critique Points
23 Feb 2013 - 2:54 PM

Quote: But, did you see this image on the wall in Getty gallery?

Does look rather similar! Wink

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
23 Feb 2013 - 2:54 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

EmmaLou76
EmmaLou76  1
23 Feb 2013 - 4:06 PM

Hi! This is Emma one of the daughters on this programme. It can be very easy for you to be an armchair critic. At no point have myself or my sisters sponged off our mum. Unfortunately the show didn't give you any real idea of what we are like. I can personally say I am very hard working. I worked for 6 months without pay and now with both my sisters we only get paid for 2 days a week each on minimum wage, yet we also share childcare 2 days a week and often work extra days for no pay. I also work from home. We are not Lazy. We did do the things we were asked to do and more. Ok we may not be good at marketing, but I resent being called lazy. Yes there was a scene of my sisters stood there looking like they weren't doing anything, but it was a few minutes out of 6 months filming, that was edited to make it look like we are useless. We have a lot of respect for our mum and have done everything we can to try and help run this business. I would also like to say that I would not have a problem getting another job - I am extremely employable and off screen Alex was praising me on my hard work. I choose to stay and help my family build a business - which we will do despite some comments that have been made by people that for some reason still believe everything they see on TV is real. Thank you to those that have stuck up for us. Smile

thewilliam
23 Feb 2013 - 4:43 PM

Emma, you have my sympathy!

When you allow a TV to come on board, you don't have any control of what they'll show because they choose their own agenda. An "unkind" angle probably made a much better television programme and if people get hurt, then that seems to go with the territory.

Unfortunately for you four, when editing the show, the production team chose a lot of footage that showed the Peach Pics team floundering.

It might have been a mistake for Andy to leave SWPP. One great advantage of a professional association is that your fellow members will know the answer to every problem that it's possible to encounter and at least one of them will be prepared to share that answer.

The hardest way to start a business is trying to invent every wheel yourselves. Plenty of other people have done it before so finding a decent mentor shouldn't be hard.

Last Modified By thewilliam at 23 Feb 2013 - 4:46 PM
Carabosse
Carabosse e2 Member 1139392 forum postsCarabosse vcard England269 Constructive Critique Points
23 Feb 2013 - 5:22 PM

Hi Emma.......... and welcome to EPZ. Smile

You are obviously unhappy with how you and your family were portrayed in the programme. Did you have a chance to see it, before it was publicly aired? Have you complained to the BBC?

SlowSong
SlowSong e2 Member 54233 forum postsSlowSong vcard England28 Constructive Critique Points
23 Feb 2013 - 5:47 PM

Hi Emma. Sorry if you were upset by any of our comments. It's good to see you've got some fight in you and Andy is such a lovely person I'd really love her, and you, to succeed.

I'm interested to know why you all agreed to do the programme because obviously you expect the editors to slant it their way. I've never seen one of these "help" programmes yet where the people involved haven't been portrayed as useless.
Smile

PeachLane
PeachLane  1
23 Feb 2013 - 6:09 PM

This is Andy of Peach Lane Studios. We could never have imagined how badly we would be portrayed in the program. Naive? Yes. Stupid? Probably. They rang us this time last year saying they were looking for a family run photography business to 'feature' in their program. We'd been in Friars Square, Aylesbury for two years then and in all that time we had never missed paying the rent rates and all the bills. I wonder how many businesses can say that. Smile True, I hadn't paid myself but I'd been reinvesting in the studio. They told us we'd get lots of business advice and help and the publicity would be really good. We had our misgivings, of course we did but we thought on balance that it might be a good thing if we had some help with marketing because once we got people through the door then they loved the photos and we very rarely had anyone walk away with the free image.

We didn't know that they were going to do such a hatchet job on us. My girls aren't lazy. On the filming days we were all expected to be in. Normally there are only two of us. So when they asked poor Nikki what she'd got to do she said nothing. Which she hadn't. We couldn't do photoshoots while they were with us because they usually had 'challenges' for us to do. So Nikki was sat there twiddling her thumbs. Have you got any bookings they asked. No she said because we'd left the diary free on filming days.

As for the bit where Alex said she had to change in the loos. Downright lie. We NEVER sent people to the loos to change least of all Alex. She changed in the studio while we waited in reception and listened to her swearing, f,ing and blinding about having to have her photo taken. She didn't realise we could hear everything. Rachel and I looked at each other in horror! We didn't want to do the shoot if she didn't want it done! Would you?

Then there's the bit where it looked as though I'd gone out and just looked for a bigger better studio just because I wanted to, even though I didn't have any money. I looked like some stupid airhead. What they omitted to say was that on the second day of filming I got a letter from my landlords telling me that they were knocking down our units to refurbish. Unfortunately the new units were smaller and more expensive.

Do I need to write more?

Please ask any questions you like. I can tell you we received no payment for it at all although the contract said they would pay us 1. They paid for the printing for the exhibition but only because we would have refused to do it as it was 10th December and our busiest time of year. As for our turnover, we had to go VAt registered. What does that tell you? How bad a business woman am I?

PeachLane
PeachLane  1
23 Feb 2013 - 6:10 PM

By the way, all the girls still work for me but Nikki is expecting a baby soon which we are over the moon about as sadly she lost one last year.

PeachLane
PeachLane  1
23 Feb 2013 - 6:13 PM

We're going to be at Focus on the Monday so please come and say hello. We're lovely really.

Carabosse
23 Feb 2013 - 6:14 PM

Hi Andy - great to hear from you. And it's very interesting to hear the actual reality of these so-called 'reality' programmes.

Hope things are looking up for you in every respect. Smile

scrimmy
scrimmy e2 Member 5365 forum postsscrimmy vcard Scotland5 Constructive Critique Points
23 Feb 2013 - 6:32 PM

good to hear your side of things Andy ....... I have been the victim of misleading media stories myself in the past.............. but there is always a bright side, the positive for me after watching was I had my suspicions of where I am going wrong confirmed.

PeachLane
PeachLane  1
23 Feb 2013 - 6:33 PM

I have done everything wrong. But I know where I went wrong. I could write a book. Smile maybe I should. Smile

One big thing I did not do wrong was to employ my girls.

Emma has been in the studio every day she can, putting up ceilings, rubbing down paintwork, painting and decorating. Long hours, no pay for most of it. As has Rachel and she has more talent in her little finger than I have in my whole body. Nikki has the gift of the gab. She's brilliant at talking to customers. She hasn't been helping in the studio as she's preggers but she's looked after the children instead (probably the hardest job lol).

Last Modified By PeachLane at 23 Feb 2013 - 7:06 PM
SlowSong
SlowSong e2 Member 54233 forum postsSlowSong vcard England28 Constructive Critique Points
23 Feb 2013 - 6:55 PM

How interesting Andy. Thank you so much for coming on here and putting your side of the story. I do hope you achieve success. When you were shown taking the pictures it all looked a great deal of fun. I don't usually watch Polizzi because I don't like her but only tuned in because it was about photography. I have to say, I've never been drawn to the actual business side and having watched this and seen how hard it is from day-to-day I don't think I'd have a fraction of your resolve.
Smile

LVanDhal
LVanDhal  1126 forum posts United Kingdom1 Constructive Critique Points
23 Feb 2013 - 7:35 PM

I have a family member who works in TV, there advice to me many years ago as I pestered them for advice on how I could "Get on TV" was "DO NOT EVER", they explained that all these shows have a budget to deliver "Entertainment" and the cheapest way to do that was with an agenda that made
the participants look as foolish as possible, all these "Reality shows" conform to that.
Reality TV is just another facile "Brand" and nothing can be shown to the detriment of that "Brand" so Alex Polizzi was always going to be the "Star"
not "Peachy Pics" or any of the other businesses that take part, and she was going to "Star" by the careful editing weighted from the start in her favour,
its her TV career not peachy pics business that the program was a vehicle for.
BTW Alex Polizzi is Lord Forte's Granddaughter, and is according to Wikipedia employed by her mother to run a hotel, as well as having her TV career, and a few other business interests, I very much doubt she has ever struggled to raise capitol, or had to go to a bank and beg for a loan, or remortgage her home, or use her personal savings to fund a fledgling start up, so personally I'd say she was the worst person to ask for business advice, she has had a great deal of advantages in life few can dream of.

PeachLane
PeachLane  1
23 Feb 2013 - 8:34 PM

I wish someone had told me that! Lol

scottishphototours

Andy,

Hats off to you and your girls - I work with all of my girls in my business, so I know they can be a great source of help and comfort.

You should be very proud of the fact that you have kept going - not many do nowadays - and I'd like to think that the move to the new studio has opened up other possibilities for you all. Looks like you have a great (big) family - and lots of grandkids to photograph.

All the best for the future to you and your girls.

Andy

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.