Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

• NEWS
  • REVIEWS
  • INSPIRATION
  • COMMUNITY
  • COMPETITIONS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here

PRIZES GALORE! Enter The ePHOTOzine Exclusive Christmas Prize Draw; Over £10,000 Worth of Prizes! Plus A Gift For Everybody On Christmas Day!

TV's portrayal of Photo Studio in Aylesbury

Paul Morgan e2
13 16.1k 6 England
23 Feb 2013 10:22PM
Hope it works out for you Andy and wish you luck.

Are you going to have more studio space.

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

Newdevonian 2 452 United Kingdom
23 Feb 2013 10:46PM
Andy
I have read with interest, you and your daughter's side of the story. I admire what you have achieved considering the pressures you have been under. It is a shame that this vehicle that achieves one person's fame, does so at others cost. Alex's show format is a win win situation. She can claim the success, but also use the I told you so, if it does not work out. The one thing that stood out in the programme however,was that you remained a lady throughout, which is more than I can say of somebody else.
I must apologise for my original comment, as I was judging the programme of face values.
PeachLane 1 18
23 Feb 2013 10:57PM
Thank you newdevonian. It's good to know more of the truth eh?

Thanks Paul. Yes the new studio is much bigger and nicer and it has its own loos and a changing room! Smile
answersonapostcard e2
10 12.7k 15 United Kingdom
23 Feb 2013 11:22PM
I saw the programme only last night and when I got the the Getty bit with you putting all your photos in a mock display I wondered whether there was more to this than the 'documentary' , I'm glad you've come to epz to give your side, thee are far too many one sided stories. You have some beautiful images on your website Smile
thewilliam 6 4.8k
23 Feb 2013 11:26PM

Quote:Andy
Alex's show format is a win win situation. She can claim the success, but also use the I told you so, if it does not work out.

My idea of win-win is that both Alex and Andy would come out as winners. Thanks for putting your side of the tale. I suspect folk just assume that whatever is shown on TV must be true. Until you told us that you were effectively pushed out of your old studio, the new studio did seem a strange move.

All the best for the future.
Paul Morgan e2
13 16.1k 6 England
23 Feb 2013 11:32PM

Quote:Thanks Paul. Yes the new studio is much bigger and nicer and it has its own loos and a changing room!

When you get settled you should look into having the studio available for hire when not in use, every little helps.
PeachLane 1 18
24 Feb 2013 7:58AM
We had considered hiring our studio out but I have been advised by a photographer friend that its possibly not a good idea. 1. People don't respect your equipment like you do. 2. You probably can't hire it out for much more than 30 per hour and we should be able to make more ph by doing shoots ourselves. We should put our effort into filling the studio with our clients. 3. A lot of people would expect a wide range of equipment, we have a basic set of lights and modifiers. 4. You wouldn't want people bringing what could effectively be your customers into your studio and someone else earning money from it. Smile

However, I would let a camera club come along and use it. That's where I learnt a lot about photography and I do like to pass it back if you like. We also have work experience students. They have a great time. We get them to do everything from making tea for clients and meet and greet to setting up the studio and taking some photographs. We always do a photoshoot with them and give them some images from the shoot. One of our work experience girls from last year featured in the program. If they're girls then Rachel does a makeover on them. If they're boys and they really want a makeover... Smile We had a boy with us on the first week of filming. Really nice lad and of course he absolutely loved being part of that week. Smile They stay friends with us. One is coming to our studio today, along with her mum and dad to help with the renovations. That's unbelievably kind of them. Two of our work experience kids have gone on to full time college studying photography. We've also had two weekend girls and they were both attending college for photography. They both got triple star distinctions at the end of their courses. Chloe has moved on and has a job photographing baseball hats and is shortly to get an assistant and Lily still works with us (part time) having left to go to Venture for a while and begging to come back. (Yes I'm soft, but we loved her and when she was head hunted by them we made her go. She hated it but learnt loads).

Hm, I do ramble a bit. Lol
janeez e2
6 1.2k 8 United Kingdom
24 Feb 2013 12:49PM
So good to hear the REAL story. Thank you for sharing it with us. The programme certainly did not portray the real story and if it had then I think it would have actually been so much better. Shame on the BBC and Alex P for feeding the public with a half truth, make up the rest, story that would usually be found in the Red Tops!

Good luck for the future to you and your daughters and my apologies if my comments earlier caused offence. Blush

Jane Smile
janeez e2
6 1.2k 8 United Kingdom
24 Feb 2013 12:52PM
BTW, got any more behind the scenes stories about Miss P?!!! Wink
Carabosse e2
11 39.7k 269 England
24 Feb 2013 12:54PM

Quote:BTW, got any more behind the scenes stories about Miss P?!!! Wink

Oh yes, do tell! Grin

Chum of mine is a big fan of hers - I'm not so keen.
Newdevonian 2 452 United Kingdom
24 Feb 2013 1:09PM

Quote: If they're boys and they really want a makeover... Smile /quote]

Do you want a challenge? I'll supply the polyfilla. Grin

EmmaLou76 1 4
24 Feb 2013 1:38PM
It was very tempting to just let people carry on thinking what they want to about us, but I just can't do that. Thank you everyone for listening to our side of the story and admitting that your first impressions were wrong. We are all really lovely people, just wanting to make the best of our lives and at the same time doing what we enjoy. You'll even love Nikki (the sweary one) - she just had to defend herself because they were really laying into her, so you can understand why she reacted the way she did - just a shame (but was obviously going to happen) that they used the footage. I did have a go at Alex and defend us a few times, but as I am so polite, that wasn't shown! ;-D In fact I was very conscious that anything I said could be used against me, so mostly kept my mouth shut - although that backfired as it just made me look like a spare part, leading to all the nasty messages going about saying I should be sacked.
lobsterboy e2
11 14.2k 13 United Kingdom
24 Feb 2013 3:20PM
having read this thread i just watched the whole thing on iPlayer.
Its kind of obvious the narrative that they had chosen before the filming had even started was of the lazy girls sponging off the "too nice" mum.
Some pretty hash editing, cutting to Alex filling in any bits where there was any chance of ambiguity and the hatchet job was done.

I really hope things work out for all of you now Andy.
Chris
lemmy 7 2.0k United Kingdom
24 Feb 2013 3:22PM
A friend and business contact of mine was one of the most well known and successful publicists in the UK. ITV came to him with an idea of spending a month or two with him to make a show about how the publicity business works, handling superstars etc.

He wouldn't even discuss it with them. As he said, it is easy to make his job look like a constant round of drinking and socializing with the rich and famous when the heart of it is in the conception, planning and organising of publicity campaigns. Highly specialized and pressurised work. Unfortunately, sitting at a desk writing down ideas, researching them and phoning people does not entertaining televison make and as he recognized, TV's job is to make entertaining programmes.

It's not that they lie, it is in the editing that they make the portrayal and the slant. They can't have film of someone shouting at someone else unless someone does shout at someone. My friend was experienced enough to know that they would need to 'kipper him' as he put it because he is in the business himself. With that knowledge, he just said no.

Generally people do these programmes because it is flattering and a boost for the ego and there's nothing wrong with that. I'd be surprised if Peach Lane Studios hadn't benefited in any way from the publicity and advice, though. And the show has certainly helped a number of businesses over its course.

So many people hate TV makers until they get offered the the chance to be on the box. It's the English way, like the oddity of a newspaper like The Sun which, apparently, no-one reads yet has the biggest readership of all newspapers. Wink
Carabosse e2
11 39.7k 269 England
24 Feb 2013 3:52PM

Quote:I'd be surprised if Peach Lane Studios hadn't benefited in any way from the publicity and advice

Yep.............. no such thing as bad publicity, they say. Smile

We would never have heard of Peach Lane had it not been for the TV show.

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.