Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

TV's portrayal of Photo Studio in Aylesbury

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

New PortraitPro 12 SALE + 10% OFF code EPZROS814
Pete
Pete Site Moderator 1318442 forum postsPete vcard ePz Advertiser England96 Constructive Critique Points
25 Feb 2013 - 3:34 PM

Quote: As an aside, I wonder if there's any chance of changing the title of this thread, oh moderators?

Yes good point...I've made it more factual

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
25 Feb 2013 - 3:34 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

lobsterboy
lobsterboy Site Moderator 1014128 forum postslobsterboy vcard United Kingdom13 Constructive Critique Points
25 Feb 2013 - 3:41 PM

Quote: That remark makes sense so long as you know nothing about entertainment and TV production. Even someone making a YouTube video knows that you cannot show 'real life' as it happens. Hours of video has to be edited unless viewers are prepared to watch a program lasting days. In the editing choices have to be made. Already it is not truth, even if everyone could agree what truth was

There is still a difference though, you can:
1. go out discover what is happening and then represent what you believe to be happening to the best of your ability
or
2. make up a story, then go out and find "the facts" to fit it.

Usually most journalism falls in to category 2..because its easier.

Coleslaw
Coleslaw e2 Member 913403 forum postsColeslaw vcard Wales28 Constructive Critique Points
25 Feb 2013 - 3:54 PM

Just trying to be controversial:
How do we know which side of the story is completely true?

Pete
Pete Site Moderator 1318442 forum postsPete vcard ePz Advertiser England96 Constructive Critique Points
25 Feb 2013 - 4:15 PM

Quote: How do we know which side of the story is completely true?

Does it really matter? It showed us what can go wrong, so if anyone is entering into the market as a professional doing similar stuff. They'd already know to sort out a good name, makes sure they didn't over staff, make sure they sent out the right message, make sure they engaged with the customers in a positive way and make sure they present their work and diversify. Educationally there was a lot to take from this.
It also gave the business superb exposure...and showed that the two photographers had talent and were able to take on board feedback no matter how bad it made them look at the start.
If you were a business man investing in the business you may need to know which side portrays the truth. If you're a consumer you can see they're capable of turning out impressive photography as long as the price is right you won't care whether the girls are idle, the business is making a loss or the mother doesn't know how to manage a team. It's all immaterial - you just want a first class photo at a decent price...and I'm convinced they can do that.

Coleslaw
Coleslaw e2 Member 913403 forum postsColeslaw vcard Wales28 Constructive Critique Points
25 Feb 2013 - 4:26 PM

yes it does, as everyone now seems to say one side is telling the truth and the other side is not completely truth.
But what is truth?

pulsar69
pulsar69  101611 forum posts United Kingdom6 Constructive Critique Points
25 Feb 2013 - 4:36 PM

Quote: Yes it does, as everyone now seems to say one side is telling the truth and the other side is not completely truth.
But what is truth?

The truth is , a struggling business has managed to gain momentum by using a TV show as a vehicle, the TV also thought they were using the struggling studio to gain viewers , seems like a win win really !

Paul Morgan
Paul Morgan e2 Member 1315222 forum postsPaul Morgan vcard England6 Constructive Critique Points
25 Feb 2013 - 5:15 PM

Quote: Does it really matter? It showed us what can go wrong, so if anyone is entering into the market as a professional doing similar stuff

I had a look at the program, followed the link, quite educational for those thinking of going into the industry I would have thought.

I worked for a studio for a bit back in the Eighties, its not an industry I would want to get into, especially at this current time.

Even back then it was hard work, portraits were the bread and butter stuff, but they also covered weddings, events, all sorts, and they also had a successful picture framing service attached to the studio, every little helped.

Last Modified By Paul Morgan at 25 Feb 2013 - 5:22 PM
EmmaLou76
EmmaLou76  1
25 Feb 2013 - 7:20 PM

I do think the advice the show gave the viewers was quite good. Just a shame I was portrayed as something I'm not. Still - it is win, win! Grin

PeachLane
PeachLane  1
25 Feb 2013 - 7:35 PM

I like the new name of the thread! Smile

Talk of what is true and what's not. Who's telling the truth and who isn't. There was one out and out lie in our program. Some is lying by omission and rest is exaggeration. I don't think Emma or I have bent the truth. Not having a go at anyone by the way. I completely understand the views here.

It's true we thought it would be good publicity for our business and we also thought we would get lots of wonderful advice. We didn't really think we would be made to look foolish, lazy and stupid. We thought that the people on the other program's were really like that! Mainly because we didn't think the truth would be bent as much as it was. Now we know the truth ill never be able to watch a program like this again. I'll be thinking to myself 'ah they've been all told to just 'look at Alex' 'look at Andy' 'now everyone look at Rachel'. When they edit the film they'll put in the one time one of them is looking bored at all the reruns of looking at each other and make out that they are bored with something that their mum or Alex has said.

I'm jaded now! Lol

mattw
mattw  105189 forum posts United Kingdom10 Constructive Critique Points
26 Feb 2013 - 3:36 AM

Quote: Yep.............. no such thing as bad publicity, they say.

Bad publicity?

For anyone who watched the first 30min and then switched off, then yes... But even if the 'journey' was trumped up in editing, by the end of the show you were putting on a very interesting exhibition, with some lovely looking prints, displayed well, and satisfied customers telling the camera how happy they were.... so no all bad.

Best of luck for the future.

lemmy
lemmy  71837 forum posts United Kingdom
26 Feb 2013 - 7:28 PM

Quote: We thought that the people on the other program's were really like that!

I've never, ever thought that her programs portrayed anyone as stupid. Misguided sometimes, obstinate sometimes but that's people. I think you are too close to it all to see it from anyone else's point of view. Entertaining TV, though.

But it's over now. You say you got some advantage and advice from it. Be happy, stop looking at the negative. You seem overly concerned with other people's impressions. I don't know you, if the program had given me negative thoughts about you (it didn't), why should you care? Your friends and family know the truth.

In the end, the program has been around a long time. You had an opportunity to see what you were letting yourself in for and you made a decision to go ahead. Time to stop complaining and put regrets behind you. Or you may need to call her in again Wink

Paul_Anthony
1 Mar 2013 - 8:46 AM

Out of interest Andy.

What is the purpose of you going to Focus on Monday, do you have a stand or are you just going as punters? Are you selling your photography services or are you going to talk to fellow photographers?

I will be at Focus on Monday.

Paul

PeachLane
PeachLane  1
1 Mar 2013 - 4:17 PM

Hi Paul

We always go to Focus and originally we were just going for the heck of it and to interview the various societies. I want Rachel to work towards her licentiate so we want to find the best one. We also like to check out new products i.e. frames, albums etc and to catch some demos. However Photomart have contacted me and I think they're going to introduce us to people. I suspect we might be put on their stand as curiosity items. LOL Perhaps we'll meet. Smile

thewilliam
1 Mar 2013 - 7:46 PM

Neither MPA nor BIPP will be at FOCUS. You'll be able to talk to SWPP or RPS.

If you need more business, pay a visit to the CLICK stand and have a chat with Charlie Kaufman.

SlowSong
SlowSong e2 Member 64387 forum postsSlowSong vcard England28 Constructive Critique Points
1 Mar 2013 - 8:31 PM

I'm not sure LRPS will be beneficially significant. Lots of us have done that and it's more for hobbyists IMHO. You'd be better going the BIPP route if you're going into business. But others may have better suggestions.

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.