Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Twitter Widgets

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

New PortraitPro 12 SALE + 10% OFF code EPZROS814
Leave a Comment
    • «
    • »
    Shortbloke
    29 Aug 2012 - 1:26 PM

Functionality of the the back button on IE is rendered useless by the insistant use of Twitter Widgets on this (and other) sites. Does anyone know how to disable these annoying, unnecessary, internet aberations? And please, no comments along the lines of 'use a different browser'. IE is my browser of choice Smile

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links 
    29 Aug 2012 - 1:26 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

Jestertheclown
    29 Aug 2012 - 1:45 PM

I'm using AVG "Do not track"which allows me to block trackers, in other words, things like 'Google analytics' which follow how I'm using the internet.
    It also prevents advertising networks from targeting me with ads. that they think I might be interested in, not that I'd ever see them of course, since I also use Adblock Plus and Flashblock but possibly it's greatest asset is it's ability to block those Twitter/FB etc. aberations, as you so rightly call them.
    Once I've blocked them, not only do they not know what I'm up to but the icons are removed from the page, which prevents me from inadvertently opening an irritating, unwanted and unwelcome pop-up if I'm foolish enough to allow the cursor near one of them.
    The downside to this is that I installed this as a part of AVG's anti-virus and I don't know if you can use it by itself.

Bren.

saltireblue
    saltireblue Site Moderator 43857 forum postssaltireblue vcard Norway25 Constructive Critique Points
    29 Aug 2012 - 1:46 PM

I suffer the same PITA problem with fęcesbook, on this site and another, but interestingly, only on the machine at work where I have to use IE. On my two other machines using other browsers, not a problem.

Last Modified By saltireblue at 29 Aug 2012 - 1:46 PM
    IanBurton
    IanBurton  465 forum posts United Kingdom7 Constructive Critique Points
    29 Aug 2012 - 1:52 PM

I'm experiencing the same problem, believe it effects IE users so I have reported the problem to EPZ and they insist it will be resolved by twitter. Hopefully it won't take too long as it is frustrating.

KevinEllison
    KevinEllison e2 Member 72504 forum postsKevinEllison vcard England
    29 Aug 2012 - 2:03 PM

Same problems here, but had no idea what could be causing it....!! (duhhh....) one click - nothing.... two clicks maybe works but often sends me to "blank page" "about blank" or such like....it was getting easier to click on the EPZ logo to be sure of getting back to the homepage again...

Pete
    Pete Site Moderator 1318442 forum postsPete vcard ePz Advertiser England96 Constructive Critique Points
    29 Aug 2012 - 2:05 PM

Does the Alt key + the back arrow work...some one suggested that on another forum for IE users. As Richard says twitter are working on a workaround for IE users.

Last Modified By Pete at 29 Aug 2012 - 2:05 PM
    robthecamman
    29 Aug 2012 - 2:11 PM

is a twitter a twit thenSmile

KevinEllison
    KevinEllison e2 Member 72504 forum postsKevinEllison vcard England
    29 Aug 2012 - 2:26 PM

Quote: Does the Alt key + the back arrow work

sometimes yes, sometimes only when done twice, sometimes no...!! I'll just stick to my modified way of working... Smile

Shortbloke
    29 Aug 2012 - 2:29 PM

Bren - Thanks, but I can't see Do Not Track as a stand alone product on their site. There might be something similar out there from other companies, so I'll have a look.

Pete - Alt+Back doesn't seem to make any difference for me. I'm using IE9...not sure if that makes a difference?

It does look if it's an IE specific issue, sometimes needing 4, 5 or 6 clicks of the back button to return to the original page (I know I can click and hold the back button to display the last 6 or so pages but I don't do this out of habit). Until Twitter fix it, I might have to bite the bullet and install Chrome. Unfortunately, this is a problem with a lot of other sites recently (and not just ePz)

Pete
    Pete Site Moderator 1318442 forum postsPete vcard ePz Advertiser England96 Constructive Critique Points
    29 Aug 2012 - 2:54 PM

Quote: I might have to bite the bullet and install Chrome.

There's a good article here for anyone who's stuck with browsers that don't work well
    Please for the love of god upgrade

Jestertheclown
    29 Aug 2012 - 2:57 PM

If you do decide to move away from IE because of this, you might be better off using Firefox. I use that and Chrome pretty much equally and haven't touched IE. since about version 5!
    Tracking blocking seems to be becoming quite trendy of late, because of which, one of the reasons that I suggest Firefox is that they offer shedlloads of add-ons and I'd say there's every chance that there will be a tracking blocker amongst them.

Shortbloke
    29 Aug 2012 - 3:00 PM

OK - I have a work around by adding twitter.com as a restricted site in IE. I don't use twitter, so don't know if this cause that site to break, but it does appear to have solved the back button issue (albeit a temporary solution). To do this:

Press Alt+x and select 'Internet Options' from the menu
    Select the 'Security' tab
    Click 'Restricted Sites' (the crossed out circle)
    Click 'Sites' button
    Where it says 'Add this Website to the Zone' over write the current page address with twitter.com
    Click 'Add' to add the site name and OK everything to close the open windows

Hopefully Twitter or Microsoft can come up with a proper solution asap!

Jestertheclown
    29 Aug 2012 - 3:09 PM

Quote: Please for the love of god upgrade

That article's interesting but its implication is that people don't seem to upgrade because either they don't realise that an upgrade's available or that they don't know how to instal it.
    As a regular user of both Firefox and Chrome, it's nigh on impossible to avoid the "a newer version of this browser is available; upgrade now!" windows which burst into life every time I go to that particular browser until I instal it.
    Which brings me to the latter. Having been bludgeoned into submission by the reminders, all you need to do is click on a button and say "yes" a couple of times and the job's done.
    I vaguely recall from a time when I was much younger that IE updates were, in typically M$ fashion, much more complicated than anyone elses' but they are still do-able.

mikehit
    mikehit  56338 forum posts United Kingdom9 Constructive Critique Points
    29 Aug 2012 - 3:14 PM

Quote: OK - I have a work around by adding twitter.com as a restricted site in IE. I don't use twitter, so don't know if this cause that site to break, but it does appear to have solved the back button issue (albeit a temporary solution). To do this:

Press Alt+x and select 'Internet Options' from the menu
    Select the 'Security' tab
    Click 'Restricted Sites' (the crossed out circle)
    Click 'Sites' button
    Where it says 'Add this Website to the Zone' over write the current page address with twitter.com
    Click 'Add' to add the site name and OK everything to close the open windows

Hopefully Twitter or Microsoft can come up with a proper solution asap!

Brilliant! That has speeded up my browsing enormously! (especially on this site). GrinGrinGrinGrinGrinGrinGrinGrinGrin

Jestertheclown
    29 Aug 2012 - 3:16 PM

. . . and no sooner had I posted that, than updates for both Firefox and Thunderbird offered themselves, insisting that I instal them!

Funnily enough, the Firefox one had to check whether the AVG Do not track was compatible. It is.

I'll go and see what's in store for Thunderbird now.

• «
    • »

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
    Password:
    Remember me:
    Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.