Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Types of Photography?

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

50% OFF new PortraitPro 12, plus EXTRA 5% OFF code EPHZROS414.
Leave a Comment
    • «
    • »
    TonyCoridan
    28 Feb 2013 - 8:59 PM

Nick had a look at my PF and constructively commented that: [quote]I had a look at your PF Tony, I think it shows quite a bit of potential. I would hazard a guess you are drawn more to mono abstract type images.

Dear Fellow Artists/Photographers,

What the types of photography are out there?

I know of:
    1. Landscape/seascape etc
    2. Portrait
    3. Abstract
    4. Fashion (which a combination of portrait and creative etc) I think.
    5. Creative
    6. all of the above in black and white

* what is the difference between 'duo tone', 'grey scale' and Black and White?

It goes without saying: But, yes, thank you all a lot!

Tony

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links 
    28 Feb 2013 - 8:59 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

Fogey
    Fogey  168 forum posts United Kingdom13 Constructive Critique Points
    28 Feb 2013 - 9:26 PM

Macro:
    HDR:
    Digitally altered:

Last Modified By Fogey at 28 Feb 2013 - 9:27 PM
    justin c
    justin c  104505 forum posts England36 Constructive Critique Points
    28 Feb 2013 - 9:27 PM

Wildlife/Natural History

Fogey
    Fogey  168 forum posts United Kingdom13 Constructive Critique Points
    28 Feb 2013 - 9:29 PM

Sport:
    Action:
    Photo-journalism:

Last Modified By Fogey at 28 Feb 2013 - 9:30 PM
    Nigeyboy
    Nigeyboy  5534 forum posts United Kingdom
    28 Feb 2013 - 9:36 PM

Wedding!!!! Wink

Last Modified By Nigeyboy at 28 Feb 2013 - 9:36 PM
    arhb
    arhb e2 Member 62053 forum postsarhb vcard United Kingdom67 Constructive Critique Points
    28 Feb 2013 - 9:37 PM

Glamour
    Art nude
    High speed flash
    Product

Clothing(fashion) is what I use to distinguish between portrait and fashion.

Last Modified By arhb at 28 Feb 2013 - 9:37 PM
    TonyCoridan
    28 Feb 2013 - 9:45 PM

There seems to be a long list!

But, can we cluster/group them in/under one title type etc?

Who is a photographer/what is photography: this probably for another forum or discussion.

The other thing is when I tell people that I do a bit of a photographer; most of the pull their smartphone out and show me there photos: a range of stuff; from holiday to snaps of meals etc...

I haven't really asked them, but, it seems that they are saying photography is as easy as taking a snap with a 8pm smart phone and is a good or even better than yours!

So the question: what is photography?

Meheecho
    Meheecho  1275 forum posts United Kingdom
    28 Feb 2013 - 10:10 PM

Roughly quoting Ken Rockwell-- the ability to envision something in your mind and to use whatever tools you have available to convey that to others-- a bit highbrow but It sums it up for me whether it be a camera, paintbrush or other

paulcookphotography

Quote: There seems to be a long list!

But, can we cluster/group them in/under one title type etc?

Its easy for some to cluster it. They tend to look at it as 'Wedding' and everything else is unimportant' Tongue

Seriously though, its hard to break each group down to simple terms. Some photography is artistic, some is more of a record. Some is edited in post production (to varying degrees) while others are 'pure'. Its all photography though, whether folk like it or not or if its by a professional, an enthusiast or an iphone snapper

joolsb
    joolsb e2 Member 927107 forum postsjoolsb vcard Switzerland38 Constructive Critique Points
    4 Mar 2013 - 11:10 AM

If you mean 'what genres are there in photography' then here's a start (by no means exhaustive and sub-genres can be grouped under several main headings):

Landscape
    Wildlife
    Architecture
    Sill-life / studio
    Portraiture
    Reportage
    Commercial / fashion / product-photography

mikehit
    mikehit e2 Member 45771 forum postsmikehit vcard United Kingdom9 Constructive Critique Points
    4 Mar 2013 - 11:46 AM

I would tend to look at genres as techniques rather than subjects and in that respect I think jools is pretty close to my thinking (so wedding and glamour would both come under 'portraiture' for example).
    As a technique I would add macro whether you are shooting Nature (plants, insects etc) or still life (everyday objects).
    Photo Art would be another one (photos taken with the intention of heavily manipulating them) though you can imagine HDR would blur the line between this one and (for example) landscapes.

RavenTepes
    6 Mar 2013 - 7:25 AM

Realistically, there are about as many types of photography as there are styles of music.

TonyCoridan
    6 Mar 2013 - 9:29 AM

Quote: Realistically, there are about as many types of photography as there are styles of music.

Sounds right!

May be the answer I was hoping to get was that: photography is photography it's just setting and circumstances are different!

Tony

Last Modified By TonyCoridan at 6 Mar 2013 - 9:30 AM
    joolsb
    joolsb e2 Member 927107 forum postsjoolsb vcard Switzerland38 Constructive Critique Points
    6 Mar 2013 - 12:57 PM

Quote: Realistically, there are about as many types of photography as there are styles of music.

I'm not sure I agree. Like music, most types of photography are merely variations on a few basic genres.

Quote: May be the answer I was hoping to get was that: photography is photography it's just setting and circumstances are different!

Generally, yes. Except that different genres may require different equipment and/or techniques to get the very best results.

JackAllTog
    JackAllTog e2 Member 53471 forum postsJackAllTog vcard United Kingdom58 Constructive Critique Points
    6 Mar 2013 - 1:35 PM

And are we not always looking for new ways of presenting our photography and so always looking to add a distinct type in its own right.

I'd like to try Time lapse Magnetic field haptic photography from the POV of a migratory bird?

• «
    • »

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
    Password:
    Remember me:
    Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.