Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 1

Typhoon Haiyan

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

jondf
jondf  82475 forum posts
8 Nov 2013 - 10:53 AM

Is the precarious ecological balance we've enjoyed for so long coming to an end? Have unimaginable forces been held in relatively passive restraint allowing man to rape what many see as a beautiful accident of creation?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-24846813

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
8 Nov 2013 - 10:53 AM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

lobsterboy
lobsterboy Site Moderator 1014170 forum postslobsterboy vcard United Kingdom13 Constructive Critique Points
8 Nov 2013 - 10:57 AM

It's almost like the climate is changing....

But that can't be right can it. Smile

Ray12
Ray12 e2 Member 175 forum postsRay12 vcard United Kingdom1 Constructive Critique Points
8 Nov 2013 - 11:17 AM

Nature has had enough of us destroying her beautiful Planet.... look what the Japanese do to her wonderful wildlife.... look what we ALL do at some stage....its pay back time.Sad

mikehit
mikehit  56681 forum posts United Kingdom11 Constructive Critique Points
8 Nov 2013 - 11:40 AM

Quote: Have unimaginable forces been held in relatively passive restraint allowing man to rape what many see as a beautiful accident of creation?

Not sure what you mean, there.

Last Modified By mikehit at 8 Nov 2013 - 11:41 AM
franken
franken e2 Member 123171 forum postsfranken vcard Wales4 Constructive Critique Points
8 Nov 2013 - 12:01 PM

The Climate is constantly changing and it always has since the beginning of time.

One could argue that humanity doesn't help it although I suspect that the outcome of whatever happens in the future would be the same anyhow.

As an example, the UK was once covered in ice, at another time it was tropical and similar things have occurred all over the Earth and will continue.

Ken

brian1208
brian1208 e2 Member 1110366 forum postsbrian1208 vcard United Kingdom12 Constructive Critique Points
8 Nov 2013 - 12:15 PM

Its called Weather and its variable

The "Media" are always looking for things to be "The Worst", "The most disastrous" etc but that usually reflects the fact that they suffer from short term memories (as do politicians and global warming alarmists)

on the other hand

Quote: Another study considered how this information was being collected, and research suggested that the increase in reported storms was due to improved monitoring rather than more storms actually taking place.

And to cap it off, two recent peer-reviewed studies completely contradict each other. One paper predicts considerably more storms due to global warming. Another paper suggests the exact opposite – that there will be fewer storms in the future.

What can we conclude from these studies? About hurricane frequency – not much; the jury is out, as they say. About climate change, we can say that these differing approaches are the very stuff of good science, and the science clearly isn’t settled!

This paper provides an interesting warning on the need to understand what the figures actually tell us, based on a review of storm records since 1900

boring reading as there are no disasters

Last Modified By brian1208 at 8 Nov 2013 - 12:15 PM
thewilliam
8 Nov 2013 - 12:33 PM

One factor does seem to be the rapidly increasing population, coupled with the rapid industrialization of countries that were primitive just a few years ago. If we were any other species, there would be a call for a serious cull.

If we're to share the planet with other creatures, we're going to have to lighten the load we impose on the planet.

collywobles
8 Nov 2013 - 12:38 PM

............ says you (all of us) in your detached house, expensive car, computers, camera's, exotic holidays, electricity, gas, ..................

jondf
jondf  82475 forum posts
8 Nov 2013 - 12:59 PM

A topical subject that excites considerable debate. It might be that if the unimaginable forces referred to (catastrophic earthquakes due to continental drift and plate movement, tidal waves, volcanic activity, savage weather patterns etc. .....are you with me now, Mike Wink) do start to happen with any level of frequency, we'll be in for a rough ride. I agree that world population cannot be maintained without the inevitable consequences. The point made by collyflower goes to the heart of the matter. Consumption, with all its pluses and minuses, must have a finite lifespan, we can't all have everything, much as the capitalist/consumer society will tell you otherwise.

brian1208
brian1208 e2 Member 1110366 forum postsbrian1208 vcard United Kingdom12 Constructive Critique Points
8 Nov 2013 - 1:10 PM

Quote: One factor does seem to be the rapidly increasing population, coupled with the rapid industrialization of countries that were primitive just a few years ago. If we were any other species, there would be a call for a serious cull.

If we're to share the planet with other creatures, we're going to have to lighten the load we impose on the planet.

No one seems to mention the obvious, we need to reduce the total population of the world by around 80% (if we don't I suspect that nature will find a way to do it for us)

franken
franken e2 Member 123171 forum postsfranken vcard Wales4 Constructive Critique Points
8 Nov 2013 - 1:14 PM

If this is correct,

http://wiki.answers.com/Q/How_many_people_are_born_and_how_many_people_die_every...

then 267 people are born and 108 die every minute. Doing a quick maths that gives us a world wide increase in population of 228,960 people per day.

Ken

mikehit
8 Nov 2013 - 2:07 PM

Oh, I'm with you jondf, I was just puzzled by your phrase "...Have unimaginable forces been held in relatively passive restraint " - held in restraint by whom/what? nature hasn't been held in restraint by anything (let alone man) because it is reactive to situations. Your turn of phrase sounded like emotive mumbo jumbo to me.

brian1208
8 Nov 2013 - 2:10 PM

looks about right Ken

and this is quite an eye-opener too

historical data on growth

Last Modified By brian1208 at 8 Nov 2013 - 2:14 PM
mikehit
8 Nov 2013 - 2:11 PM

Quote: And to cap it off, two recent peer-reviewed studies completely contradict each other. One paper predicts considerably more storms due to global warming. Another paper suggests the exact opposite – that there will be fewer storms in the future.

For me that is where the 'pro anthropogenic climate scientists' do themselves little justice because apparently both are equally plausible. And as a sceptical scientist myself I am always wary of a scientific theory that claims to explain everything to the point of being non-falsifiable.

brian1208
8 Nov 2013 - 2:18 PM

Quote: as a sceptical scientist myself I am always wary of a scientific theory that claims to explain everything to the point of being non-falsifiable

snap

Likewise with theoretical predictions which fail the test against real, observed data but are then boosted by yet more hyperbole, instead of being declared invalid as they are not fit for purpose

Too much money and political kudos is now tied up in flawed science

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.