Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 1

Typhoon Haiyan

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

brian1208
brian1208 e2 Member 1110181 forum postsbrian1208 vcard United Kingdom12 Constructive Critique Points
9 Nov 2013 - 9:49 AM

Quote: These things aren't happening right now because current geophysical conditions prevent them from happening

do keep up

Quote: the Himalayas are geologically young. Earthquakes are numerous and sometimes violent. Many geologists believe the mountains are still growing

from here

geological processes haven't stopped, its just that you haven't noticed them happening Tongue

Sure, we are due another super volcano sometime soon and a force 10 earthquake will one day devastate the east coast of America, that's if a massive earth slip on the Canary Islands doesn't cause a Super Tsunami first

Then again we are probably going to be hit by a massive Asteroid and go out like the Dinosaurs

That's the way the world is - stuff happens and sometimes its pretty darned bad. Nothing "holds it back" or "Causes it because of what we are doing" - its natural processes

Right, back to spending time living in the real world Grin

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
9 Nov 2013 - 9:49 AM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

thewilliam
9 Nov 2013 - 10:30 AM

WE're all doomed to die someday! I'll only worry about it if happens before the end of my life.

brian1208
brian1208 e2 Member 1110181 forum postsbrian1208 vcard United Kingdom12 Constructive Critique Points
9 Nov 2013 - 11:35 AM

Quote: WE're all doomed to die someday! I'll only worry about it if happens before the end of my life

I'd love to know how you can do this, I thought we could only die once Smile

jondf
jondf  72474 forum posts
9 Nov 2013 - 11:38 AM

Quote: I'll only worry about it if happens before the end of my life

....ha!

thewilliam
9 Nov 2013 - 12:45 PM

Quote: I'll only worry about it if happens before the end of my life

My standard reply in any hazardous situation was always that I knew that wouldn't die until the very end of my life and by that stage, I would have lived every minute of my allotted span!

mikehit
mikehit  46191 forum posts United Kingdom9 Constructive Critique Points
9 Nov 2013 - 4:53 PM

Quote: Catastrophic earthquakes bide their time, waiting for the earth's plates to move against each other.

No, they don't 'bide their time, waiting'. There is no such thing as an earthquake until

Quote: hot gases and magma reach a critical point.

Quote: These things aren't happening right now because current geophysical conditions prevent them from happening.

There is no 'prevention'. They just don't exist.

Your comment is like sayind 'there is a massive scream inside me and a broken bone that I am holding back until someone drops a ruddy great brick on my toe'. Typical back-to-front Gaian thinking.

Quote: Man's had it easy during his short tenure on Earth.

You mean volcanic eruptions, earthquakes, floods, ice ages....yeah, really easy. The sort of thing likely to break that 'easy tenure' will probably be something totally unrelated to man's activities (like another meteor/comet). It is just that mans' ingenuity has enabled him to survive where other, less sentient, beings did not.

Carabosse
Carabosse e2 Member 1139392 forum postsCarabosse vcard England269 Constructive Critique Points
9 Nov 2013 - 7:31 PM

Depends whether you consider the planet to be a living organism. I guess. Smile

franken
franken e2 Member 113061 forum postsfranken vcard Wales4 Constructive Critique Points
9 Nov 2013 - 9:02 PM

Quote: Depends whether you consider the planet to be a living organism. I guess. Smile

That bright yellow ball in the sky that keeps us alive will one day destroy the Earth, living organism or not.

The solar system, the galaxy it's in and the universe will all come to an end one day.

Nothing is permanent and that includes the human race.

jondf
jondf  72474 forum posts
9 Nov 2013 - 10:45 PM

Mike, you're not paying attention -

I said -

Quote: The assertion subsequently made was that naturally occurring events, potentially catastrophic in nature, could well be just around the corner. Man may or may not have some small effect on these but as and when they happen - and they will - it will be in spite of man

But then you said -

Quote: The sort of thing likely to break that 'easy tenure' will probably be something totally unrelated to man's activities

.....keep up!

p.s. I also stand by my theory that if something isn't happening it's because something is preventing it from happening. A scientist might cringe at such an assertion but then again, why should s/he? It could open up a source of new ideas in relation to any subject you care to name ......well, that's the theory Grin

Carabosse
Carabosse e2 Member 1139392 forum postsCarabosse vcard England269 Constructive Critique Points
10 Nov 2013 - 2:18 AM

Quote: That bright yellow ball in the sky that keeps us alive will one day destroy the Earth, living organism or not.

The solar system, the galaxy it's in and the universe will all come to an end one day.

Nothing is permanent and that includes the human race.

Oh no! shocking-dark.jpg

Lol! Wink

jondf
jondf  72474 forum posts
10 Nov 2013 - 8:25 AM

Quote: The solar system, the galaxy it's in and the universe will all come to an end one day.

Yes, I have it down as being the 17 October 2017 at precisely 0305 hours ...... Halleluiah! Tongue

franken
franken e2 Member 113061 forum postsfranken vcard Wales4 Constructive Critique Points
10 Nov 2013 - 9:44 AM

Quote: The solar system, the galaxy it's in and the universe will all come to an end one day.

Yes, I have it down as being the 17 October 2017 at precisely 0305 hours ...... Halleluiah! Tongue

Nah, it's going to be the week before my 65th birthday and I'll not get to spend my 49 years of pensions contributions! Grin

thewilliam
10 Nov 2013 - 10:43 AM

Quote: Nah, it's going to be the week before my 65th birthday and I'll not get to spend my 49 years of pensions contributions! Grin

What makes you think there will be anything in your pension pot when you hit 65, even if the world continues as normal?

franken
10 Nov 2013 - 10:51 AM

Quote: Nah, it's going to be the week before my 65th birthday and I'll not get to spend my 49 years of pensions contributions! Grin

What makes you think there will be anything in your pension pot when you hit 65, even if the world continues as normal?

Three months to go and there is! Grin

jondf
jondf  72474 forum posts
10 Nov 2013 - 11:34 AM

....either way, it'll all go up in smoke Grin

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.