Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

• NEWS
  • REVIEWS
  • INSPIRATION
  • COMMUNITY
  • COMPETITIONS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here

PRIZES GALORE! Enter The ePHOTOzine Exclusive Christmas Prize Draw; Over £10,000 Worth of Prizes! Plus A Gift For Everybody On Christmas Day!

Ubuntu Linux - screen calibration - help please

col.campbell e2
11 818 4 United Kingdom
13 Dec 2009 3:13PM
Hello everyone.

I've finally managed to install Ubuntu to dual-boot alongside XP, so I can dip my toe without getting rid of Windows altogether. I'm using Ubuntu gradually more and more, gradually weaning myself away from Windows.

However, there a few things that I'm struggling with, and would appreciate help with:

Screen calibration/ gamma correction. In windows I use Adobe Gamma, but trying to make sense of how to install suitable software in Ubuntu is doing my head in! Being a wimp, I'd prefer one of the GUI options.

Wine/ Photoshop. I tried to get this working and failed. I forget now the exact nature of the problem, but I think it wanted me to de-register in Windows and re-register in Ubuntu, or something. Has anyone else experienced this problem?

Thanks in advance.

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

Jestertheclown 6 6.6k 242 England
13 Dec 2009 4:23PM
I once looked at doing exactly what you're doing.
I went so far as to download Ubuntu onto a disc but it failed to work at startup so I didn't get very far!
What inspired me to try it out was a thread on here although I'm pretty sure the WINE/Photoshop set up was discussed in that thread and no-one seemed able to know how to make it work.
I know that doesn't help you but it may be something you can't overcome.
(Hopefully, I'm completely wrong!)
Jester.
col.campbell e2
11 818 4 United Kingdom
13 Dec 2009 4:32PM
If you still want to give it a go, I downloaded the 'jaunty' version with 'wubi' installer. You run it in Windows and it'll install Ubuntu in a folder, allegedly. I got the impression that it would then run under Windows, but I put it in its own partition, and it works a treat as a dual-boot.

Have a look here if you're still of a mind to try it.
kit-monster e2
11 3.7k 2 Singapore
13 Dec 2009 5:16PM
I too am very impressed with ubuntu and run it on my netbook. As for photoshop, I haven't tried running it under wine. I did however install windows 7 dual boot and had to unregister in Vista before it would install on Windows 7.
13 Dec 2009 5:25PM
Hi Colin,
Thanks for that.
I'm a little put off by the amount of space it appears to need though.
I'll save everything for the moment and perhaps give it a go at a later date.
Jester.
redsnappa 12 2.0k United Kingdom
13 Dec 2009 5:27PM
I gave up on ubuntu when it wouldnt recognise something as basic as a mouse with scroll wheel.
col.campbell e2
11 818 4 United Kingdom
13 Dec 2009 5:37PM
Kit monster, that's probably what it comes down to, then. And unless someone comes along to show me the way regarding screen calibration, I'm not about to re-register it under Ubuntu!

Jester, as far as I recall it can work with 3GB, which I didn't think was a lot considering my XP OS is sitting in a 20GB partition. I think the selection of folder sizes are arbitrary anyway; besides, I think the intention there is that all your programs and documents/ data would go in the same folder/ partition. I chose a small size and installed a driver to allow Ubuntu to access my NTFS partitions so the OS basically sits in a small partition and the rest of the HDD is used as it was before.

And redsnappa, I can't comment! I realise though that Ubuntu, even Linux in general, doesn't enjoy anything like the level of support that Windows, in its various incarnations, does. Did you try searching for suitable drivers? The thing I'm discovering after years of using Windows, and only Windows, is that just like with my first computer, I'm having to go back to day 1 of learning how to use it, which is a pain, but that's why I've kept Windows too.
13 Dec 2009 6:11PM
Colin,
The 'wubi' installer interface suggested I'd need 18 gb. which I immediately assumed was a mistake and even if it does only need 3 or 4 gb., which seems far more realistic, I couldn't be bothered with setting it up as you have just for the sake of trying it.
The reason I wanted to copy it to a disc and boot from that was that it's so simple.
More importantly, if 'Photoshop' won't work, it's no use to me anyway.
I'm sure others will be able to prove otherwise but I get the feeling that 'Ubuntu' just isn't up to the job.
Jester.
col.campbell e2
11 818 4 United Kingdom
13 Dec 2009 6:39PM
Oops I lied. 18Gb, although I think that's including software like Open Office, Firefox, firewall, etc etc. and possibly also some data.

Wouldn't the disc boot? I'm pretty sure there are editions which ought to boot from CD, a live installation they call it, without installing anything on your hard drive.

I just want to eventually get away from the never-ending virus concerns and security updates, the need to re-register if you dare to update your hardware, and so on. I was also getting peeved that Windows takes up so much space and is so slow to boot and unreliable; Linux seems to be the answer although it is less user-friendly until you get the hang of it.
13 Dec 2009 8:30PM
Hi again Colin,

Quote:Wouldn't the disc boot? I'm pretty sure there are editions which ought to boot from CD, a live installation they call it, without installing anything on your hard drive.

No the disc wouldn't boot, in fact the computer remained blissfully unaware of it's presence!
The 'live installation' was exactly what I was after and that's what I thought I'd downloaded.
Maybe I've cocked up, it wouldn't be the first time, perhaps I'll rewrite the disc and try again.
The idea was as you say to get away from all the aggro that seems to be associated with Micro$oft.
I'm already using alternatives to their stuff wherever possible and an alternative OS, if it's any good, would be exactly what I need.
Cheers,
Jester.
13 Dec 2009 9:03PM
Hi Brendan, did you burn your downloaded data as an iso image? here's a link: How to burn linux iso

Quote:the computer remained blissfully unaware of it's presence!

Do you have your bios set to boot from cd first? Change boot order

I have done this countless times and update Linux about every 6 months, Ubuntu is a fine operating system; you could also try Linux Mint, based on Ubuntu but with more codecs and aplications installed so you don't have to look for them, better for beginers.

I have used "Wine" from Linux Suse, for photoshop CS2, but to be honest if you want to use Windows apps, just boot into Windows, its easier.

There are some excellent Linux operating systems now, try the big names, like Mandriva, Suse, or Ubuntu, all very good.

Mandriva is probably the easiest to insall.

Most people try Ubuntu, but there is another version called Kbuntu, and is more like Windows to look at, using the KDE desktop, where as Ubuntu uses, Gnome, a very different layout for newbies, but you will find your way around quickly.

hope any of that was of use,
Adrian
col.campbell e2
11 818 4 United Kingdom
13 Dec 2009 9:39PM
Screen calibration, anyone?

In fact, I'm having such a time of it, I've downloaded two antivirus programs and can't work out how to install either of them! (Downloaded one, then the other when I couldn't get the first one going. No intention of using them both at the same time).

I know that Linux is inherently a 'safer' OS and I've been using it for a few weeks without any anti-virus software but I thought it wouldn't hurt to install one, and a firewall.

The anti-virus programs are AVG and Avira, in the form of .deb and a .tar.gz packages which I extracted no bother, but can't install, so I'd be grateful for any advice there too.
13 Dec 2009 10:47PM
Hi Colin here's a link: Install AVG in Ubuntu
13 Dec 2009 11:13PM
Obstinatesod! Great name!

Hi Adrian,

Thanks, yes, all of that's useful.
Chances are I did something wrong when I burnt the disc. However I'm not sure that I can change the boot order as I'm using a generic USB keyboard. The 'proper' (Dell) one is one of those tiny things and is attached to my daughter's machine ('cos I don't like it and she does)! I'll have to see how it's connected.

Jester.
14 Dec 2009 9:23AM
Colin, there is an anti virus program in Ubuntu, that will work just as well as AVG.

To install it, make sure your on-line. Go to:

System-Administration-Synaptic Package manager
Next enter password then the Package manager will open
In"Quick Search" type "clamAV-base" it might already be installed by showing a small ubuntu symbol next to it.
If not installed, click to highlight it, then right click and "Mark for installation"
in the next box that comes up click "Mark" and "Apply" on the top menu bar and any other Apply messages it gives you.

Not quite sure what your looking for with "screen calibration" but if its resolution, go to: System-Preferences-Display
Adrian

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.