Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Ultra Powerful Torch Photography

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

Leave a Comment
    • «
    • »
    ade_mcfade
    ade_mcfade e2 Member 1014778 forum postsade_mcfade vcard England216 Constructive Critique Points
    16 Jan 2013 - 11:34 AM

These new high powered CREE torches are opening new doors for night photography - the old "million candle power" torches were ok, but these allow you to use gels and light things from a distance.

Just done a quick blog review of 5 shots - HERE

Thought it'd be nice to have a thread to share our experiences

I was out in Bradford last night with 7 delegates - painting buildings in the city centre, with interesting results.

-mg-4245.jpg

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links 
    16 Jan 2013 - 11:34 AM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

Coleslaw
    Coleslaw e2 Member 913403 forum postsColeslaw vcard Wales28 Constructive Critique Points
    16 Jan 2013 - 11:38 AM

Which model, Ade?
    How long do the batteries last?

ade_mcfade
    ade_mcfade e2 Member 1014778 forum postsade_mcfade vcard England216 Constructive Critique Points
    16 Jan 2013 - 12:19 PM

Sky Ray 3XT6

its proper mental

and it's never dipped on any of my shoots - some being a whole night.

That assume you use a head-torch for "getting around in the dark" to preserve battery

discreetphoton
    discreetphoton Site Moderator 93451 forum postsdiscreetphoton vcard United Kingdom20 Constructive Critique Points
    16 Jan 2013 - 12:55 PM

Wow. It's much smaller than I would have expected. Interesting Smile

ade_mcfade
    16 Jan 2013 - 12:58 PM

dinky little thing

Pete
    Pete Site Moderator 1318442 forum postsPete vcard ePz Advertiser England96 Constructive Critique Points
    16 Jan 2013 - 1:00 PM

I have a LED Lenser M14 that I'm playing around with at the moment. Would be interesting to compare the two. Certainly compared with those stupidly big 2 to 3 Million Candle torches (Big Yellow ones) they're incredibly small and much brighter more even. The Lenser has a zoom control.

StuartAt
    StuartAt e2 Member 91031 forum postsStuartAt vcard England6 Constructive Critique Points
    16 Jan 2013 - 1:03 PM

I've got a couple of the CREE/Ultrafire torches, which originally shipped from Hong Kong (Deal Extreme website) but I notice you can get them on Amazon for very similar prices now. I use them off road mountain biking at night and they last about 3 hours before you need to replace batteries.

ade_mcfade
    16 Jan 2013 - 1:18 PM

I chose to get it from the UK - you read about the build quality issues with some Chinese torches and it seemed worth the extra cash (About 48 delivered) to get it local.

It's got 3 LEDs which means you can't really focus it to a small spot - but I've not found that a problem with what I'm doing. Maybe if you wanted to draw around doors and windows, a focussed beam would be better. probably end up with a selection of torches for a complete package if you got carried away!

Realistically, you've got the torch on for 30 seconds every few minutes, so they last all night - if it's 3 hours constant lighting, you can see how long it'll last

Here's a shot from a teaching session on Monday - sculpture park at Bretton Hall

It's just a reasonably quick smattering of light over the snow and on the the statues.

-mg-4189.jpg

Owt worth lighting near the M1 between us Pete ? Pop down and get some snowy shots - still got a hoar frost on my trees today!

Coleslaw
    Coleslaw e2 Member 913403 forum postsColeslaw vcard Wales28 Constructive Critique Points
    16 Jan 2013 - 1:23 PM

3 hours?!
    I was thinking of getting it for dog walking.... LOL (though I do have a Lenser which is good).

ade_mcfade
    16 Jan 2013 - 1:41 PM

Probably slight overkill for doggy duties Cole Smile

I got a CREE head torch for 6 which is amazingly bright

saltireblue
    saltireblue Site Moderator 43818 forum postssaltireblue vcard Norway23 Constructive Critique Points
    16 Jan 2013 - 1:43 PM

Quote: I chose to get it from the UK - y and it seemed worth the extra cash (About 48 delivered) to get it local.

Care to divulge where from, Ade?

hobbo
    hobbo e2 Member 3789 forum postshobbo vcard England2 Constructive Critique Points
    16 Jan 2013 - 1:44 PM

Look at my Portfolio shot entitled......Waiting for the Light......I had similar thoughts and queries when I posted it.

I am still experimenting.....it is well worth having a go......diffuse the light with a paper towel if it is too harsh.

Hobbo

ade_mcfade
    16 Jan 2013 - 1:50 PM

ebay - think it's from Portsmouth or Southampton

ade_mcfade
    16 Jan 2013 - 2:17 PM

Quote: Look at my Portfolio shot entitled......Waiting for the Light......I had similar thoughts and queries when I posted it.

post it in this thread - pictures make threads more engaging

plus I couldn't spot it straight away and gave up lol

ade_mcfade
    17 Jan 2013 - 11:57 AM

Here's one that didn't quite work, operator error, but even standing a long way off a huge old abbey works

-mg-3397.jpg

• «
    • »

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
    Password:
    Remember me:
    Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.