Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

• NEWS
  • REVIEWS
  • INSPIRATION
  • COMMUNITY
  • COMPETITIONS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here

PRIZES GALORE! Enter The ePHOTOzine Exclusive Christmas Prize Draw; Over £10,000 Worth of Prizes! Plus A Gift For Everybody On Christmas Day!

Unable to connect - site too slow ...etc.

MikeA 10 1.2k England
25 Sep 2010 9:26AM
I am lucky if I can view a couple of topics or items, sometimes I am very lucky and can actually log on.
This has been going on for many months. Please don't tell me I should "clear the cache" I do every time
I log of the internet, sometimes I even make a special effort to clear it. Once the dreaded time-out
banner appears not amount of coaxing will bring the site back up.
NO OTHER SITE I use has this problem so system problems my side are very unlikely, my use of this
site has gone down as a result and renewal of E2 is sadly most unlikely.

Rant over.Tongue

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

Coleslaw e2
9 13.4k 28 Wales
25 Sep 2010 9:27AM
no issue here whatsoever though.
how strange
25 Sep 2010 9:29AM
I have been having the same problem for some days now. Sad

Again, other sites load OK.

Still, I have plenty to do! Smile
Pete e2
13 18.7k 96 England
25 Sep 2010 9:45AM
Super fast here on my reasonable speed home connection

Quote:NO OTHER SITE I use has this problem so system problems my side are very unlikely

We've had this before and it's usually been some error on the user side's computer, despite it working on certain sites. Have you reported it through the report link at the bottom of the page? The IT guys are usually able to help by giving solutions to fix most speed issues.
Nick_w e2
7 4.1k 99 England
25 Sep 2010 9:56AM
No problems here - and I have a connection speed under 250Kbs !! (I use both Internet Eplorer, and Firefox)

I sometimes have problems with the iphone not loading all the CSS when on a 3G connection tho.

Have you tried clearing your cache and temp folders? I know you say no other sites are affected, but its worth a try and not a bad thing to do anyway.
User_Removed 10 17.9k 8 Norway
25 Sep 2010 10:02AM
The site has been a bit hesitant recently - and that's accessing from two different locations locations and exchanges.
25 Sep 2010 10:41AM
I've had the same problems, for the same length of time, with the same recommended solution

Only on the forums

I've had suggestions from IT but I'm not making wholesale changes just for one part of one site

Clear the cache, reinstall Firefox, disable plugins, use tracert, must be your service provider etc, etc
Jestertheclown 6 6.6k 242 England
25 Sep 2010 12:25PM
I haven't had it time out for a while but this site is far and away the slowest thing I ever access on here and I access a lot.

Loading can take up to a minute and just moving from page to page can take forever.

There are other faults too; the most annoying being that when I click on a thumbnail to open an image or to comment, when I click on the "return to gallery" button, it quite often returns me to page one and not to where I had been.

It's been doing all of this for as long as I've been using the site and on three different machines and several different browsers.

I've reported it but no-one seems to have an answer.

As Mike says, renewal of my membership's not looking very likely.

Jester.
25 Sep 2010 12:34PM
Mostly the problem has been with navigating within the site.

First instance 30 seconds to get back from entering a comment and getting back to "Forum Recent Activity" just now.
Carabosse e2
11 39.7k 269 England
25 Sep 2010 1:09PM

Quote:I haven't had it time out for a while but this site is far and away the slowest thing I ever access on here and I access a lot.

I have to agree with Brendan. This site can be signficantly slower than most other web sites on the internet. But it isn't always: it seems to be sporadic.

Many reports have been made over the years. I do not believe for one moment it is always a problem at the user end. There is a lot of custom built stuff on the site and, as those members who are IT gurus will know better than I, that can lead to all sorts of issues.
25 Sep 2010 2:44PM
It's just taken at least 10seconds to access the site. Sad
MikeA 10 1.2k England
25 Sep 2010 4:27PM

Quote:Quote:NO OTHER SITE I use has this problem so system problems my side are very unlikely

I repeat NO OTHER SITE I use has this problem so system problems my side are very unlikely,

Quote:We've had this before and it's usually been some error on the user side's computer, despite it working on certain sites.

Not just certain sites as you infer , I access dozens of sites daily and DO NOT have a problem other than on this site. Once I hit the ADD button I expect
my ability to access this site will be nil.Sad
25 Sep 2010 4:44PM
Agree with MikeA...

I use the web all day everyday - both at work running the garage via a web-based management system and as now, at home.

EPZ has some problems at the moment BUT, not to the extent there were earlier (last year???) and before the boys made some changes.

Another 'x-reference' I use to confirm EPZ problems is my own website. Photium's servers are in New York - and the access is lightning fast even at 4Mb bandwidth via BT Broadband.
JJGEE 9 6.4k 18 England
25 Sep 2010 5:06PM

Quote:not to the extent there were earlier (last year???)

I think it was a bit longer ago than that and improved when they moved the server out of the U.S.A.
lobsterboy e2
11 14.3k 13 United Kingdom
25 Sep 2010 5:47PM
I don't see a problem here at all.
From various reports I have seen where the guys have sorted out problems where people have issues accessing the site the usual problems are:

Their version of Flash is out of date (some of the ads are flash based).
They have adblocking on (blocking some needed files that the scripts wait for)
Malware or junk in the browser (changing browsers is a quick way to see if that is the issue)
Issues with routing to some ISPs

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.