Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Unable to connect - site too slow ...etc.

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

Alan_Warriner
25 Sep 2010 - 6:08 PM

Quote: I don't see a problem here at all.
From various reports I have seen where the guys have sorted out problems where people have issues accessing the site the usual problems are:

Their version of Flash is out of date (some of the ads are flash based).
They have adblocking on (blocking some needed files that the scripts wait for)
Malware or junk in the browser (changing browsers is a quick way to see if that is the issue)
Issues with routing to some ISPs

I'm sure someone mentioned that it only happens on this site? Smile

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
25 Sep 2010 - 6:08 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

Carabosse
Carabosse e2 Member 1139544 forum postsCarabosse vcard England269 Constructive Critique Points
25 Sep 2010 - 6:34 PM

And why is the problem sporadic?

The fact that it only happens on this site and is sporadic does rather point the finger in a certain direction, does it not? Wink

I would guess a tiny percentage of the problems get reported officially: generally we sigh and put up with it, as a sort of fact of life on EPZ.

Last Modified By Carabosse at 25 Sep 2010 - 6:35 PM
User_Removed
25 Sep 2010 - 6:39 PM

pan2.ephotozine.com.

Advertising server problem.

Carabosse
Carabosse e2 Member 1139544 forum postsCarabosse vcard England269 Constructive Critique Points
25 Sep 2010 - 6:42 PM

I have always felt the flashing ads do not help but, we are told, EPZ can't live without them!

Jestertheclown
25 Sep 2010 - 6:52 PM

Quote: Their version of Flash is out of date (some of the ads are flash based).
They have adblocking on (blocking some needed files that the scripts wait for)
Malware or junk in the browser (changing browsers is a quick way to see if that is the issue)
Issues with routing to some ISPs

My Flash player's bang up to date.
The problems persist whether I use Adblock or not.
Changing browsers (to IE, Opera or Safari) makes no difference and I can't use Adblock on them.
Changing to Chrome also makes no difference and that's supposed to be pretty quick.
That leaves routing to my ISP and I'm not sure about that but it does seem suspicious that several of us are experiencing these same problems with just one site . . . this one.

Jester.

lobsterboy
lobsterboy Site Moderator 1014170 forum postslobsterboy vcard United Kingdom13 Constructive Critique Points
25 Sep 2010 - 7:02 PM

Quote: That leaves routing to my ISP and I'm not sure about that but it does seem suspicious that several of us are experiencing these same problems with just one site . . . this one.

Which points to an issue between epz hosting and some ISPs I guess, awhile back a similar issue occurred and it involved a lot of sodding about with Tracert etc.

I believ it was eventually resolved by someone somewhere, I guess the guys will have to go through a similar rigmarole this time.

MikeA
MikeA  91176 forum posts England
25 Sep 2010 - 7:21 PM

My Flash player's bang up to date.
The problems persist whether I use Adblock or not.
Changing browsers (to IE, Opera or Safari) makes no difference and I can't use Adblock on them.
Changing to Chrome also makes no difference and that's supposed to be pretty quick.
That leaves routing to my ISP and I'm not sure about that but it does seem suspicious that several of us are experiencing these same problems with just one site . . . this one.

Firefox and Microsoft8, 9 can wait until the bigger bugs have crawled out. Ditto as above for all the rest.

Quote: They have adblocking on (blocking some needed files that the scripts wait for)

Seem a bit dull to put code essential to the running of the site in an advert????. Surely an Ad is a variable so how dull is that.Wink

Quote: I would guess a tiny percentage of the problems get reported officially: generally we sigh and put up with it, as a sort of fact of life on EPZ.

Yep.

Last Modified By MikeA at 25 Sep 2010 - 7:24 PM
lobsterboy
lobsterboy Site Moderator 1014170 forum postslobsterboy vcard United Kingdom13 Constructive Critique Points
25 Sep 2010 - 7:31 PM

Quote: Seem a bit dull to put code essential to the running of the site in an advert????.

The code isn't in with the ads, but if you adblock using wildcards it is possible to block files you didn't intend to.

Snapper
Snapper  93766 forum posts United States Minor Outlying Islands3 Constructive Critique Points
25 Sep 2010 - 7:54 PM

I'm not blocking any ads and it's been painfully slow this past week or so with regular "ePz has failed to respond" type messages, but it will work if you come back about 10 minutes later and reload the page. It's working fine for me just now, but I'm not doing anything different at my end.

Last Modified By Snapper at 25 Sep 2010 - 7:55 PM
User_Removed
25 Sep 2010 - 8:23 PM

Quote: Their version of Flash is out of date (some of the ads are flash based).

Up to date

Quote: They have adblocking on (blocking some needed files that the scripts wait for)

The site is 'Green'

Quote: Malware or junk in the browser (changing browsers is a quick way to see if that is the issue)

Cleared and set to clear at Shutdown

Quote: Issues with routing to some ISPs

Agreed - but as stated... I'm checking via two stations - miles apart and via differing (and varying IP address') - and the problem remains.

Last Modified By User_Removed at 25 Sep 2010 - 8:23 PM
lobsterboy
25 Sep 2010 - 8:48 PM

Well the problem is logged as an issue and the guys will look at it on Monday morning.
Hopefully the will be able to come up with a solution.

Helpful Post! This post was flagged as helpful
Just Jas
Just Jas  1225752 forum posts England1 Constructive Critique Points
25 Sep 2010 - 10:06 PM

As a thought - what what AV software are we all using?

I'm running Avast v5.0.677
jas

Last Modified By Just Jas at 25 Sep 2010 - 10:06 PM
Jestertheclown
25 Sep 2010 - 10:12 PM

The same here, Jas.

I've also tried with the (Comodo) Firewall switched off. Made no difference.

Last Modified By Jestertheclown at 25 Sep 2010 - 10:13 PM
MikeA
MikeA  91176 forum posts England
26 Sep 2010 - 9:45 AM

Prevex, latest.
I guess the bottom line is it may be inconvenient to me and others that use the site regularly but think of those on their first and
probably last visit to the site, NO potential revenue for the site or its advertisers. How are you measuring your lossesWink

lobsterboy
26 Sep 2010 - 10:53 AM

Can I ask that anyone who is experiencing the issue please log a report, including any specific times or pages when the problem is worse (or better)
This will give the guys more info about the problem and allow them to see if there are any common factors amongst those who are experiencing it.

Last Modified By lobsterboy at 26 Sep 2010 - 10:57 AM MODERATOR POST

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.