Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Unable to connect - site too slow ...etc.

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

66tricky
66tricky  7742 forum posts Scotland
26 Sep 2010 - 12:02 PM

I had issues a few weeks back with some sites being unlocatable (not this one though). I traced the issue to a hooky DNS IP address which was very slow at resolving most sites and was unable to resolve some at all. I changed my LAN connection properties to use Google Public DNS (8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4) and it resolved the issues. I had noticed some sites unreachable but assumed that the issue was with those sites until my partner commented on a site she was trying to reach which was unreachable. I tried and sure enough nothing. I then tried via my VPN connection to a client's network and could access the site and others. This pointed to an ISP or DNS issue and sorting the latter fixed the problem.

NB some sites were just fine with the hooky DNS.

Check your DNS by opening a DOS prompt and typing:

ipconfig/all

DNS servers listed thus:

DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 8.8.8.8

Obviously yours will have different IPs if not using Goggle Public DNS

Either try changing through the settings on your router or locally on the connection via the TCP IP config.

HTH

Last Modified By 66tricky at 26 Sep 2010 - 12:03 PM
Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
26 Sep 2010 - 12:02 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

clicknimagine
26 Sep 2010 - 7:37 PM

i had reported about the same problem before to epz but i had also inactivated that report after a day, that time i was able to connect to the other sites easily but whenever i tried to surf any pages of epz, an error massage was given, i had reported that problem to my internet service provider, and after that i do not face that kind of problem again...

Last Modified By clicknimagine at 26 Sep 2010 - 7:41 PM
66tricky
66tricky  7742 forum posts Scotland
26 Sep 2010 - 11:19 PM

Quote: ...an error massage was given...

The wrong bit was rubbed? Wink

rhousham
rhousham  7432 forum posts United Kingdom
27 Sep 2010 - 9:36 AM

These kind of problems are difficult to track down and the internet is getting larger and larger each day with more and more people choosing broadband. This leads to problems that are beyond our control. The problems within our control such as slow loading pages we can try and resolve but if the problem comes and goes with no pattern at all. Then it is probably down to your ISP.
There are a few steps that you can take to try and resolve the problems.
a) Make sure that your browser is up to date.
b) Make sure that your flash version is also up to date.
c) Disable/uninstall any plugins that you have.
d) I have noticed that firefox may slow down after constant updates from 2.x to the current version so sometimes just uninstalling your browser and reinstalling it might help.
e) Try a different browser google chrome or firefox are really easy to install and just rules our any browser problems.
f) Run your spyware and anti-virus tools. (some great free ones are avg http://free.avg.com/gb-en/homepage and search and destroy http://www.safer-networking.org/index2.html )
g) If problems still occur then follow these steps (on windows)
Start->Run type cmd
type tracert www.ephotozine.com
Wait for that to run.
You can then copy and paste that data by right click select mark -> highlight and press enter.
That is the path your computer takes to get to our servers and will point out any slowdowns.

Other things to look out for are any programs that might be communicating with the Internet without your knowledge or even a download that is going in the background.
http://www.thinkbroadband.com/ has a tool that shows your usage so if that is quite high then it should give you an idea.
Also try http://www.speedtest.net/ to see what your speed is for that time.

Finally it is always worth googling your location and your ISP to see if there are any problems in the area.
If all else fails or you want us to have a look at your tracert printout then please leave a report with your tracert details, along with your browser, version, ISP and we will see what can be done.

Thanks for your help.
Regards
Richard

MODERATOR POST
davidburleson
davidburleson ePHOTOzine Staff 72302 forum postsdavidburleson vcard United Kingdom
27 Sep 2010 - 9:41 AM

Hi Everyone,

We have dealt with a large number of speed issues in the past few years and the majority of the time the problem has been something to do with the member's computer, internet connection or ISP. Yes, even if it appears that only ePz is unaccessable.

I'll explain it again as I have in the past. The internet is like the a motorway system. Websites are scattered across the system and everyone takes a different route from their home to the website inorder to access the site. Along the way, your connection switches through different parts of the network in order to get to the ephotozine. If there is congestion at any part of your route you may experience a slowdown or even a timeout.

Needless to say, other members may experience no problem at all with the site as they are taking a different route to the site and don't travel through the specific problematic area of the network. This also explains why other sites may work fine as your connection may take a completly different route to access other websites. Thus making it appear that its only a problem with our site. When in fact, if you were to possibly access another site located in the same location as ours, you may experience the same problem.

At any one time on ePHOTOzine there are around 1000 people accessing the site. Normally, when there is a connection issue with the site, we receive a flood of reports in. We then can easily locate the problem by gathering information from all the report submitters and quickly resolve the issue. So, there only being 2 reports (one from a mod flagging this topic to attention) tends to flag up a problem outside the site.

However, we take every connection issue report, and even topic, in the same way and urgency. There are particular steps we must take to rule out some of the most obvious answers. 90% of the time, it is an issue with the member's computer, so we try to resolve it that way first before diving into the server spending hours trying to locate a problem which probably isn't there. When we ask you to try a different browser, we simply try to distinguish if the problem is browser based or not. You would be suprised what browser plug-ins can do to a connection.

Anyways, we strongly suggest that if you have a connection issue, that you submit a report the instant that you do and provide as much information as you can regarding it. A traceroute is very helpful as often times it can instantly point out if it is a routing issue. However, the tranceroute must be done the exact moment you have trouble accessing the site. So, not when it has finally loaded, but when its spinning around waiting to load.

We have seen cases where it's simply a version of flash that needs updating (or even re-installing) which fixes the problem.

So, what i am going to do now is try to gather as much information as I can based of the feedback mentioned from the individuals in this topic and try to see what might be the issue. As in the past, if it does turn out that the problem is with the site, we will let you guys know and let you know how we plan on resolving it.

Thanks for your patience.

Best Regards,
David

Pete
Pete Site Moderator 1318433 forum postsPete vcard ePz Advertiser England96 Constructive Critique Points
27 Sep 2010 - 9:44 AM

To add to what Richard's just suggested, also check your memory usage for system processes. If the speed starts to slow down hold down ctlr+alt+delete keys at the same time. This brings up a windows task manager panel. Click on processes tab
and then click on the Mem Usage column header once or twice to reorder the memory with the highest number at the top.If you use Firefox to browse and it's at the top of the list then it's a program problem and it can be shut down and reopened to regain speed.

davidburleson
davidburleson ePHOTOzine Staff 72302 forum postsdavidburleson vcard United Kingdom
27 Sep 2010 - 10:04 AM

And to further add to what Pete has just said, you can also hit ctrl-alt-del and choose the 'Performance' tab. Monitor the CPU graph during times where you experience slow access. If your CPU usage is more than 50% there might be something running on your computer which is causing your entire computer to respond slowly (including your web browser).

davidburleson
27 Sep 2010 - 10:10 AM

Also,

If you don't mind me asking, could everyone in this topic who has mentioned they have problems accessing the site, please state your ISP? If you perfer to do this in private, you can PM me.

Cheers,
David

Helpful Post! This post was flagged as helpful
rhousham
27 Sep 2010 - 10:40 AM

Yeah those are 2 good ideas as well.
Thanks guys.
Richard

karl
karl Site Moderator 10572 forum posts United Kingdom
27 Sep 2010 - 11:43 AM

Traceroutes are immensely useful for the team - even if you've done them in the past. As David explained your route to the server can change from minute to minute, so having this info from when you're experiencing problems allows us to identify if there are any issues with a specific ISP and a specific incoming provider.

Thanks,

Karl

rhousham
27 Sep 2010 - 2:29 PM

Thanks Karl.
He's right as the Internet grows new paths are made and some may even close from time to time due to server maintaince.
So your the path that your computer takes to the site is to always changing.
Hence why you may experience problems one day but not the next. A good analogy is a road with roadworks.
When they are there you will travel slow. When they are removed you go quicker.
And as more roads are built you may travel quicker still. But if there are more cars on the road then again you will travel slower.
Hope that helps.
Thanks.
Richard

Last Modified By rhousham at 27 Sep 2010 - 2:29 PM
Jestertheclown
27 Sep 2010 - 2:38 PM

Hi David,

I'm using Virgin Media with Firefox (because I want to), IE (because I've got to) and Chrome, Safari and Opera (when I tried to eliminate the problems I've been having.

Jester.

Edit; with XP SP3. And everything's right up to date.

Last Modified By Jestertheclown at 27 Sep 2010 - 2:39 PM Helpful Post! This post was flagged as helpful
lobsterboy
lobsterboy Site Moderator 1014023 forum postslobsterboy vcard United Kingdom13 Constructive Critique Points
27 Sep 2010 - 9:46 PM

Quote: I changed my LAN connection properties to use Google Public DNS (8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4) and it resolved the issues.

Thanks for that suggestion - my wife has had problems getting on to one single site at certain times of the evening, didn't matter what browser or machine she used the problem still occurred.
I changed the settings as suggested and it worked great - thanks.
More info about Google Public DNS here.

User_Removed
27 Sep 2010 - 10:11 PM

Quote: If you use Firefox to browse and it's at the top of the list then it's a program problem and it can be shut down and reopened to regain speed.

So I've done that...

... and there's no change in EPZ site performance.

The biggest problem I see is the advertising server links - whilst waiting a page/action/why to take place, I'm looking at the bottom-left of the FF window - and it's invariably an ad-server link that is waiting for a response.

Last Modified By User_Removed at 27 Sep 2010 - 10:12 PM
Jestertheclown
27 Sep 2010 - 10:29 PM

Quote: I changed my LAN connection properties to use Google Public DNS (8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4) and it resolved the issues.

Blimey!

I've just changed mine as well and the difference is amazing. This machine's always been pretty quick; now it's flying.
Epz.'s loading as quickly as everything else at the moment.

I'll keep you posted.

Jester.

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.