Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

• NEWS
  • REVIEWS
  • INSPIRATION
  • COMMUNITY
  • COMPETITIONS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here

Unable to connect - site too slow ...etc.

66tricky 8 742 Scotland
27 Sep 2010 10:42PM

Quote:I changed my LAN connection properties to use Google Public DNS (8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4) and it resolved the issues.
Blimey!

I've just changed mine as well and the difference is amazing. This machine's always been pretty quick; now it's flying.
Epz.'s loading as quickly as everything else at the moment.

I'll keep you posted.

Jester.

On the other hand. I went into my client's office today and connected direct to their LAN for the first time for around three months as I usually work remotely via VPN using a laptop they own. Could connect to nothing: no internet, no unix servers, no sybase servers, no email.. heehaw.

Then I realised, after a reboot and much fannying about that they weren't using google DNS but it was me who had manually set that to bypass the hooky one my router appeared to be setting. A quick undo and I was sorted. Blush...Tongue

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

MikeA 9 1.2k England
28 Sep 2010 11:02AM
EPZ has gone from virtually un-usable, that is not able to connect for the last 6 months 'ish to quite usable since yesterday afternoon. It also seems fine this morning.

What did I do: 1) I raised this topic. 2) I did not listen to the critics that said it was my fault. 3) I PM'ed my route info to EPZ.

What else did I do my end to improve my connection: NOTHING. so all your DNS reconfiguation and messing with you PC for one site may have been in vain unless there is a logical. provable explanation for my improvement.

Will I be renewing my E2 membership maybe, depends on service from here on till renewal date. When you pay money for a service you expect a service. Tongue

So if anyone wants to close this thread I am happy with the outcome so far.Wink
28 Sep 2010 11:12AM

Quote:What did I do: 1) I raised this topic. 2) I did not listen to the critics that said it was my fault. 3) I PM'ed my route info to EPZ.

very interesting, as we haven't done anything on our end either as we are yet to find anything that might be causing the slow downs some of the members are experiencing. I had passed your route info to our server admin, but nothing unusual is showing from what I can see.
karl 11 588 United Kingdom
28 Sep 2010 11:54AM
Hi,

I can confirm what David said, nothing has changed at this end in networking terms or server terms - which would firmly point the finger at your ISP if you've changed nothing on your PC or network. More often than not ISPs DNS caches (Especially Be There) are the problem a lot of the times, in that they are slow to respond (as many of you have found by switching to Google's Resolvers).

Thanks,
28 Sep 2010 12:00PM
I was advised of a Flash Player upgrade this morning, which I promply downloaded and installed. Does seem to be better now, but then some are saying it is better anyway this morning.

Oh well - time will show.Smile
Alan_Coles 8 176 11 Wales
28 Sep 2010 12:31PM
Just took me 39 seconds from pressing the send button on a pm for it to complete. Have noticed for a while the site has been achingly slow Sad

I use the BT yahoo browser but have also used safari which seems marginally quicker...but not much.
28 Sep 2010 12:50PM

Quote:Just took me 39 seconds from pressing the send button on a pm for it to complete. Have noticed for a while the site has been achingly slow Sad

I use the BT yahoo browser but have also used safari which seems marginally quicker...but not much.

39 seconds does sound bad. I haven't experienced anything of that sort. A quick google came up with this:

http://www.productsandservices.bt.com/consumerProducts/displayTopic.do?topicId=30138

Keeping your browser up-to-date is one of the first things to check if you have problems with any website. Also check that you have up-to-date version of Adobe Flash Player. This is used on many different websites to display animated content. If you don't have this, you may find that websites (like ePHOTozine) who use it will be slower in responding
lobsterboy e2
10 14.2k 13 United Kingdom
28 Sep 2010 12:55PM

Quote:NOTHING. so all your DNS reconfiguation and messing with you PC for one site may have been in vain unless there is a logical. provable explanation for my improvement.

Err not really - mine fixed a completly different site to this. (dogpages.org.uk)
JackAllTog e2
5 3.7k 58 United Kingdom
28 Sep 2010 12:58PM
I use a 100MB uncontended connection from work (we are an ISP and managed hosting vendor) and its as fast as it ever was, i use a 3MB/s BT (8MB max) ADSL at home and its slightly slower but still fine.
Initially you'll want to check your line speed - say with www.speedtest.net to see your upload and download speed, then you'll want to see how this varies through the day as you share ADSL capacity (contended service) and it gets busy from time to time. Assuming this is fine then the DNS hints above may be helpful if applied to your PC or router. Then your into proving the speed issue with the ISP (hoping they will listen) using dos tools like "nslookup" and "tracert".
But there are other posibilities too (would typically affect all browsing sessions), a virus on your machine might be sending all your traffic via a proxy (to steal login date etc), the Anti virus may be spending too long analysing the threats from the URL's, The wifi connection may be being interferred with. Browser plugin's may be interferring with performance.
MikeA 9 1.2k England
28 Sep 2010 1:07PM

Quote:Hi,

I can confirm what David said, nothing has changed at this end in networking terms or server terms - which would firmly point the finger at your ISP if you've changed nothing on your PC or network. More often than not ISPs DNS caches (Especially Be There) are the problem a lot of the times, in that they are slow to respond (as many of you have found by switching to Google's Resolvers).

Thanks,

I am not quite sure why you bothered with the above comment, other than a mod that wants to be noticedTongue

This is/was not an over night problem but something that has been wrong for at least 6months, why don't you read and understand the original post.

Regards MikeA.
answersonapostcard e2
10 12.6k 15 United Kingdom
28 Sep 2010 1:09PM

Quote:I am not quite sure why you bothered with the above comment, other than a mod that wants to be noticed
Karl looks after the epz servers, so I think his comment is justified.
lobsterboy e2
10 14.2k 13 United Kingdom
28 Sep 2010 1:11PM

Quote:This is/was not an over night problem but something that has been wrong for at least 6months, why don't you read and understand the original post.

Everyone has read it & understood it, yet the problem only affects certain people at certain times - which points to a networking or client issue rather than something to do with the Epz codebase.
28 Sep 2010 1:16PM

Quote:This is/was not an over night problem but something that has been wrong for at least 6months, why don't you read and understand the original post.

Hi Mike,

You haven't really been very responsive to our suggestions which makes it extremely hard to find what the problem is in your case. Each member who has had a problem tends to have a different solution. Here are some of the solutions we have found for other people:

1. Provide us with a tracert at the exact moment you have the problem
2. ensure you are running the most up-to-date version of your browser
3. ensure you have the most up-to-date version of Adove Flash Player
4. Try out the Google DNS
5. Check your line speed hasn't dropped at http://www.speedtest.net
6. Disable any browser plugins you might have installed to ensure that it isn't a plugin causing a confliction
7. Make sure you run an up-to-date anti-virus and spyware removal program
8. Test a different browser to see if it might be something browser specific

We are trying to be as helpfully as possible. We have already gone through the server and had Karl go through the server too to see if there could be anything on our side that would be causing the problem and we are both coming up with nothing.
answersonapostcard e2
10 12.6k 15 United Kingdom
28 Sep 2010 1:17PM
Weird isnt it, I tried that speedchecker this week because of appalling problems on my work internet connection, would only work once the speed had reached a certain level - would not work while the internet was at snails pace (worse that the worst dial up) yet one site I didnt have problems with was this one - I check several. MSN is the worst, followed by Yahoo, couple of news sites also, always get 'oops this dns connection appears to be broken'. Maybe its just unlucky to hit them at the wrong time but theres sort of a pattern building up to the slowness of this connection, before 9am is fine, intermittent until 12ish then bad again until around 2ish, and intermittent for the rest of the day... if the building is fully occupied then its worse, user overload perhaps! lol

I'm told the only way around this is for a dedicated broadband line costing 4k a year.
karl 11 588 United Kingdom
28 Sep 2010 1:18PM

Quote:Hi,

Thanks,

I am not quite sure why you bothered with the above comment, other than a mod that wants to be noticedTongue

This is/was not an over night problem but something that has been wrong for at least 6months, why don't you read and understand the original post.

Regards MikeA.

I did read the original post, I read every single complain about the speed of EPZ etc. - It's my job to keep that side of things running smoothly. That's why I know in 99% of cases it turns out to be at the users end, be that their PC, their router or their ISP in one way or another.

In a small number of cases it turns out to be the site, a rare edge case that catches a few users and the guys fix it.

In a small number of cases where it's the users ISP depending on whom they are we can choose alternate routes to them (although it's much harder to influence the route they take to get to EPZ in the first place) which will some times solve a users ISP issues.

Yes I appreciate some people don't like being told the problem is most likely at their end, "Try X, try Y, try Z then come back to us" - but history shows us that this is the case with most issues people have, which is why we have them try those things for us and provide us with as much information as possible - whilst you're trying those things we're still investigating the reported issue form our end as well.

As for wanting to be noticed - hardly, as you'll see I rarely post here, if I wanted to be noticed I'd spend all day posting drivel and trolling as to why Nikon is better than Canon etc. etc. and playing word association Smile But you'll notice that I don't Smile

Thanks,

Karl

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.