Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Unable to connect - site too slow ...etc.

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

MikeA
MikeA  91147 forum posts England
28 Sep 2010 - 1:21 PM

Quote: Karl looks after the epz servers, so I think his comment is justified.

I do not need him to repeat what others have already made clear to me, when it adds nothing to the post. Maybe you
would like to check his other contributions throughout the post, none add anything other than repeat what has been posted,
hence my comments that are well in order as far as I am concerned, but make your own mind up.

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
28 Sep 2010 - 1:21 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

davidburleson
davidburleson ePHOTOzine Staff 72299 forum postsdavidburleson vcard United Kingdom
28 Sep 2010 - 1:26 PM

So Mike, are you still experiencing speed issues at this moment?

JackAllTog
JackAllTog e2 Member 53509 forum postsJackAllTog vcard United Kingdom58 Constructive Critique Points
28 Sep 2010 - 1:34 PM

Oh and another idea - some people use mobile phone's or USB dongles to make a network connection - these are often terribly slow and the mobile phone network operators just seem to let them get worse.

MikeA
28 Sep 2010 - 1:40 PM

Quote: 1. Provide us with a tracert at the exact moment you have the problem
2. ensure you are running the most up-to-date version of your browser
3. ensure you have the most up-to-date version of Adove Flash Player
4. Try out the Google DNS
5. Check your line speed hasn't dropped at http://www.speedtest.net
6. Disable any browser plugins you might have installed to ensure that it isn't a plugin causing a confliction
7. Make sure you run an up-to-date anti-virus and spyware removal program
8. Test a different browser to see if it might be something browser specific

1) Provided to you when EPZ allowed me to log-on - the exact moment when I have a problem there is NO connection to epz to allow this to happen.
2) Browser is up to date - Auto notified ReF. Firefox About box - check for updates. - doubled check before this post.
3) Adobe auto notify me when an update is available - up to date.
4) No intention of carrying this out - for the sake of ONE site.
5) My line speed is fine -
6) Plug-ins - English dictionary
7) Prevx 3.0 - checks for updates at log-on, Regedit - checks for malware monitors registry - Auto update
8)My other browser Microsoft, but rarely used, do not intend using any others.

davidburleson
davidburleson ePHOTOzine Staff 72299 forum postsdavidburleson vcard United Kingdom
28 Sep 2010 - 2:08 PM

Just had another look at your traceroute and hop 3 looks like its taking a bit longer than the others.

karl
karl Site Moderator 10572 forum posts United Kingdom
28 Sep 2010 - 2:11 PM

Quote: 1) Provided to you when EPZ allowed me to log-on - the exact moment when I have a problem there is NO connection to epz to allow this to happen.

That's actually when it is the most useful - it doesn't need to complete all the way to the end, as that's what we're trying to find out - where it stops when some users are having problems. If it won't even start the traceroute because it cannot resolve ephotozine.com then that points to a DNS issue - 99% likely to be with your ISPs DNS resolvers (Although it could be with the EPZ DNS provider, that's one thing I have no control over).

Thank you,

Karl

MikeA
28 Sep 2010 - 2:17 PM

Quote: Just had another look at your traceroute and hop 3 looks like its taking a bit longer than the others.

In the first instance yes, but not the second readout??

Both taken when problem existed.

Last Modified By MikeA at 28 Sep 2010 - 2:17 PM
JackAllTog
JackAllTog e2 Member 53509 forum postsJackAllTog vcard United Kingdom58 Constructive Critique Points
28 Sep 2010 - 2:17 PM

Some extra info for your specific situation

http://www.spyber.com/ will show your ISP in case that has issues - don't post your IP address on line - PM it, if you trust the asker.

Also, open a command prompt (DOS in the old days) and type
nslookup ephotozine.com
this will show you where your DNS comes from and what IP address it think EPZ is on
Again PM the answer as the DNS server may be the address of YOUR router. i got http://85.118.234.131/ but this is not a direct link to ePhotozine - its probally their hosting partner.

For comparision, the public part of my tracert is:

Alan_Coles
28 Sep 2010 - 2:19 PM

Just using Safari and it seems marginally quicker but still took 20 seconds to send a pm?

As for trying all the other stuff I must admit it is alien to me and I am more likely to mess things up and make them worse rather than better...my wife says I am a modern day Frank Spencer - "I am officially told by the wife not to meddle" Sad

MikeA
28 Sep 2010 - 2:33 PM

Quote: Some extra info for your specific situation

http://www.spyber.com/ will show your ISP in case that has issues - don't post your IP address on line - PM it, if you trust the asker.

Also, open a command prompt (DOS in the old days) and type
nslookup ephotozine.com
this will show you where your DNS comes from and what IP address it think EPZ is on
Again PM the answer as the DNS server may be the address of YOUR router. i got http://85.118.234.131/ but this is not a direct link to ePhotozine - its probally their hosting partner.

For comparision, the public part of my tracert is:

Thanks for the info.
My ISP site gives up to date information on issues / problems. They also email if there are likely to be local area related problems, one of the benifits of paying a premuim.

davidburleson
28 Sep 2010 - 2:36 PM

Mike, when you use Internet Explorer, how does the site respond compared to when you use FireFox?

MikeA
28 Sep 2010 - 3:00 PM

Quote: Mike, when you use Internet Explorer, how does the site respond compared to when you use FireFox?

Just tried IE, difficult to quantify accurately. When moving from one forum subject to another Firefox tends to start loading the page after clicking the link, IE shows the background to the page then loads. IE has default setting as I try not to use it and always check cookies etc afterGrin

Just had a time-out on IE - results will be PM'ed in a minute to you.

davidburleson
28 Sep 2010 - 3:06 PM

Got them Mike, thanks. Was wondering if you could try to 'catch' the timeout before it happens. So when it appears like the browser is going to timeout run a traceroute right then (you might need to keep the command line up). Signs of this could be an unusual long waiting time when you click a link. Sometimes when you run a traceroute after the time-out, the problem may be resolved.

MikeA
28 Sep 2010 - 3:15 PM

I will see what I can do David, problem is this is the longest I have spent on EPZ for months Wink

Must disappear for today but will store and PM trace data with as much capture info as possible.

Best regards MikeA.

Just Jas
Just Jas  1225727 forum posts England1 Constructive Critique Points
28 Sep 2010 - 9:11 PM

Quote: I'd spend all day posting drivel and trolling as to why Nikon is better than Canon etc. etc. and playing word association

Perhaps it's this 'drivel' that's clogging the site? WinkWinkWink

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.