Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Unable to view RAW files

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

Leave a Comment
    • «
    • »
    Mike_Smith
    Mike_Smith e2 Member 7122 forum postsMike_Smith vcard United Kingdom1 Constructive Critique Points
    7 Nov 2013 - 9:25 PM

I have just upgraded to a new camera the canon eos 70D, after trying to look at the raw files in my photoshop CS5 all i get is the following. [b]Could not complete your request because the file appears to be from a camera model which is not supported by the installed version of camera RAW.

Can anyone tell me what i need to do to sort this out i would appreciate it

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links 
    7 Nov 2013 - 9:25 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

gary_d
    gary_d e2 Member 6534 forum postsgary_d vcard Wales13 Constructive Critique Points
    7 Nov 2013 - 9:34 PM

Take a look on the adobe site and download the latest update which should contain the new camera if it is available for CS5.

Mike_Smith
    Mike_Smith e2 Member 7122 forum postsMike_Smith vcard United Kingdom1 Constructive Critique Points
    7 Nov 2013 - 9:47 PM

Thanks Gary i will check now

capto
    capto e2 Member 21153 forum postscapto vcard United Kingdom6 Constructive Critique Points
    7 Nov 2013 - 10:24 PM

Even CS6 will not read raw files from the 70D. I use the free Adobe DNG converter, then the converted files will open in camera raw.

http://www.adobe.com/support/downloads/detail.jsp?ftpID=5646

tomcat
    tomcat e2 Member 95916 forum poststomcat vcard United Kingdom15 Constructive Critique Points
    7 Nov 2013 - 10:27 PM

Welcome to the world of rip off

bainsybike
    7 Nov 2013 - 10:52 PM

Or you could use the software that came with the camera - Canon Digital Photo Professional - to open the RAW files. Then you can convert them to TIFF or jpeg.

sausage
    sausage  10242 forum posts United Kingdom
    8 Nov 2013 - 9:49 AM

It's Adobe's way of making you upgrade their software.

mgoldman
    mgoldman  5
    8 Nov 2013 - 11:20 AM

I think you also have to blame Canon for the small incremental tweaks that make things that you have useless in the future viz: batteries are never standard, RAW interfaces, Flash that cannot be used on full frame and APSC sensor cameras. And of course nothing from one brand works with another. In my first ever film camera, the Practika (??sp) body and Pentax lenses were interchangable. I guess the next logical progression is cameras that simply die after 10000 shots so you have to upgrade. Just call me BOF.

collywobles
    8 Nov 2013 - 1:20 PM

Most people do not realise that RAW files (unlike JPEG) are very often unique to specific cameras, and/ or manufactures.

JackAllTog
    JackAllTog e2 Member 53627 forum postsJackAllTog vcard United Kingdom58 Constructive Critique Points
    8 Nov 2013 - 1:31 PM

Microsoft also enables thumbnails etc to be viewed for some Raw formats - http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=26829
    Although the 70D is not yet in the details list.

Dave_Canon
    8 Nov 2013 - 3:45 PM

Quote: Welcome to the world of rip off

This is not entirely true.

If you bought a car but the following year a new type of fuel came out, you could not expect your car to cope without modification for which you would have to pay.

Adobe provided free updates for the current version of LR & PS as new cameras emerged but, once a new full release is issued, they no longer provide updates for the previous versions because it would be very costly and, if Adobe charged the few who wanted to update an old version for Raw only, I suggest the cost would be unattractive. Far better to update to a new version with new features as well as Raw updates for which, of course, you have to pay for. Those who develop software do have to be paid. You may wonder whether this is still all to convenient for Adobe and perhaps it is and perhaps they take advantage but surely Canon and Nikon are possibly partly to blame. Adobe tried to promote a standard Raw format DNG for many years but only a few small manufacturers took this up. Unless and until Canon and Nikon do so this is going nowhere but that cannot be the fault of Adobe. Even if Canon and Nikon had come to an agreement with Adobe on a universal open DNG format, I suspect that after a few years they would argue that it was no longer adequate and then move to DNG2. It is also not fair to say that Adobe force one to update as one can always use the DNG converter which may be another step in the workflow but it is still free.

I imagine an Adobe answer to this might now be join the CC Tongue

Paul Morgan
    Paul Morgan e2 Member 1315371 forum postsPaul Morgan vcard England6 Constructive Critique Points
    8 Nov 2013 - 9:58 PM

Quote: Most people do not realise that RAW files (unlike JPEG) are very often unique to specific cameras, and/ or manufactures

There both specific to a particular camera, jpeg included.

redsnappa
    redsnappa  111916 forum posts United Kingdom
    8 Nov 2013 - 10:16 PM

Quote: I imagine an Adobe answer to this might now be join the CC

I think many people will be avoiding signing up to Adobe CC until Adobe have resolved their recent security issues.

richmowil
    richmowil e2 Member 5259 forum postsrichmowil vcard England1 Constructive Critique Points
    8 Nov 2013 - 10:27 PM

sCS6 will read Raw files with Adobe Raw 8.2!! ( 8,2,0.94) The script states the 70d is compatible!! - Getting it may be a little more difficult!!

• «
    • »

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
    Password:
    Remember me:
    Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.