Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Understanding the Alamy conntract

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

Leave a Comment
    • «
    • »
    KingBee
    KingBee e2 Member 8329 forum postsKingBee vcard Scotland2 Constructive Critique Points
    25 Apr 2013 - 8:34 PM

Having been 'chatting' via PMs to Jeff Silvers (cats_123) about membership of Alamy, and not wishing to trouble him further, I wonder if someone can help with the following, please? (If Jeff chooses to respond, fine!)

I was all set to register with Alamy, but on reading through the contract I see references to "Royalties Free" images, "Rights Managed" images and "Novel Use Licences". Apparently, I have the right to:

"Control whether each Image [I] submit is displayed as Rights Managed or Royalty Free, and in either case whether [my] Images are available for Novel Use Licences; and Choose whether to opt into the Distribution or Novel Use Schemes."

Duh? What's the difference between RF and RM images, and what's a Novelty Use Licence when it's at home? Can someone please tell me what I should be telling Alamy to do here? Thanks.

Last Modified By KingBee at 25 Apr 2013 - 8:34 PM
    Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links 
    25 Apr 2013 - 8:34 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

KingBee
    KingBee e2 Member 8329 forum postsKingBee vcard Scotland2 Constructive Critique Points
    25 Apr 2013 - 8:35 PM

Sorry - I see I mis-spelled "contract" in the subject header. Not intentional, honest!

RoyChilds
    RoyChilds e2 Member 656 forum postsRoyChilds vcard England
    25 Apr 2013 - 9:18 PM

Hope you have lots of patience stock work is a sloooww burner ,best read all the blurb ,go to Alamy site click on sell images then click on number 6, go to managing your images, choosing a licence explains it all.

roy

KingBee
    25 Apr 2013 - 9:33 PM

Thanks - will check that out.

KathyW
    KathyW  111793 forum posts Norfolk Island12 Constructive Critique Points
    25 Apr 2013 - 9:33 PM

You will find most of what you want to know if you follow Roy's directions. The novel use scheme is so novel that you end up getting paid $0.50 for an image... not quite as insulting as Getty's offer of $0.00 so it is probably worth signing up for that too as it all logs as a sale and helps you up the rankings. Look down the column on the left of the Alamy manage images info page for "additional revenue opportunities" to learn more about novel use. Also read up on releases when you are deciding whether to choose royalty free or rights managed licences. If you are selling pics of people or property that requires a release and you don't have one, it is safer to stick to rights managed. Good luck.

KingBee
    25 Apr 2013 - 9:43 PM

Thanks again. Have since managed to navigate my way through the Alamy website and, from initially being confused/terrified (contract-speak can do that to a person), I think I now understand how to proceed. Bottom line seems to be - go for Rights Managed and restrict licence to Editorial Use Only: that way I don't have to worry about releases, either for people or property (generally speaking). Hope I've got that right.

cats_123
    cats_123 e2 Member 104023 forum postscats_123 vcard Northern Ireland25 Constructive Critique Points
    25 Apr 2013 - 10:14 PM

Glad you found the answer, Bob...that's helped me too SmileSmile

RoyChilds
    RoyChilds e2 Member 656 forum postsRoyChilds vcard England
    26 Apr 2013 - 8:04 AM

Hello Bob
    Yes that's about right, some places to avoid however unless you can get permission Sad Chatsworth house, all National Trust properties,London underground sign,Eiffel tower at night, the list goes on and on

cheers
    Roy

Evertonian
    26 Apr 2013 - 4:29 PM

Quote: The novel use scheme is so novel that you end up getting paid $0.50 for an image... not quite as insulting as Getty's offer of $0.00 so it is probably worth signing up for that too as it all logs as a sale and helps you up the rankings.

You should find it OK as the cost of uploading is zero. In the old days of course you had to develop a film, print off from it then mount before selling. With Alamy, you just upload the file and that's it. The $5 a time for novel scheme,occasioanlly used, do of course add up. The main problem is that you lose 50% commission then income tax at the prevailing rate.

loweskid
    loweskid  132042 forum posts United Kingdom1 Constructive Critique Points
    27 Apr 2013 - 12:00 AM

I've had a Novel Use sale of $6.50 and a few others of up to $4.50, not many but they all add up. I've ended up with less from 'normal' sales through alamy distributors - the distributor takes 40% even before alamy's commission. I've had some good sales through distributors too so I haven't opted out.

When you come to selecting RM or RF, if you state that there are either people or property in an image and that you haven't got releases then you'll find you won't have the option - it will revert automatically to 'Rights Managed'.

To restrict images to 'Editorial Only' is such a long-winded palaver at alamy that most contributors don't bother, me included. We've asked for a simple 'Editorial only' button but alamy don't seem to want to implement it for some reason. Remember, it's the buyer who is responsible for the way the image is used and if you state truthfully that you haven't got releases then it's not your problem if it's used inappropriately. I've been with alamy for about twelve years and never had a problem - almost all mine are RM (I don't really go for the RF model but tried a few as an experiment).

Last Modified By loweskid at 27 Apr 2013 - 12:06 AM
    KingBee
    27 Apr 2013 - 8:22 AM

Quote: To restrict images to 'Editorial Only' is such a long-winded palaver at alamy that most contributors don't bother, me included.

Tell me about it - I did manage to get it (mostly) right eventually but it was a nightmare.

Quote: Remember, it's the buyer who is responsible for the way the image is used and if you state truthfully that you haven't got releases then it's not your problem if it's used inappropriately.

Very comforting to know, thanks for that assurance.

• «
    • »

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
    Password:
    Remember me:
    Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.