Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Underwater housing or not??? That is the question!!

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

55% OFF new PortraitPro 12 - use code EPHZROS414.
CathyT
CathyT e2 Member 87253 forum postsCathyT vcard United Kingdom18 Constructive Critique Points
6 Jun 2011 - 12:14 PM

Am looking for some advice on underwater camera housings......

We are off to the Maldives in Feb and would like to get some good underwater shots when snorkelling. As things stand I have bought a housing for my Canon Ixus 980 (£150) thinking that the auto 'underwater ' setting will be the easiest to use whilst trying to swim.

However, I have been chatting to a friend who is also going and he was thinking of taking his Canon 400D and buying a housing for that.......pricey or what...over £1000....eeeek.....but would the better quality be worth it???

Or......can someone recommend a good underwater camera???

Not sure where to start looking....and what to look for.

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
6 Jun 2011 - 12:14 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

keithh
keithh  1022557 forum posts Wallis and Futuna29 Constructive Critique Points
6 Jun 2011 - 12:24 PM

A plastic box from Lakeland with some extra sellotape around the seal.

You then have to have the camera set to live view and fire it via a remote which is sealed to your hand with some clear mastic - Chris will have some of that.

CathyT
CathyT e2 Member 87253 forum postsCathyT vcard United Kingdom18 Constructive Critique Points
6 Jun 2011 - 12:30 PM

I've got cling film...will that do??Wink

Andy_Cundell
6 Jun 2011 - 12:47 PM

Hiya Cathy

Will you be planning to use the underwater housing again after your holiday? Is it something you will be wanting to do again and again? If not, just use what you have! If you like underwater photography so much and decide to do it again, then buy better.

No point in 'splashing out' (sorry lol Grin ) on massivly expensive camera's and housings for them to sit in your cupboard for years to come!

If you go with the clingfilm method, make sure its tight! Tongue

Andy

CathyT
6 Jun 2011 - 1:00 PM

Hi Andy...lol

I'm not sure really as I haven't done it before.....I have Nikon D200 and thought about a housing for that but thought that swimming and trying to take pics may be a bit trying to start with....thats why I have bought a housing for my compact.

But then again..........does anyone know if the Canon Powershot D10 is any good and how does it compare to say a 400D???

Coleslaw
Coleslaw e2 Member 813402 forum postsColeslaw vcard Wales28 Constructive Critique Points
6 Jun 2011 - 1:02 PM

Why don't you want to use your Ixus 980 with the housing you already bought?

CathyT
6 Jun 2011 - 1:04 PM

I do........I'm asking for my friend who has a 400D but isn't sure if a compact and housing would be better...I've just looked on Pennyspikes PF and see they use a G9 with housing....

or an actual underwater camera like the D10???

Last Modified By CathyT at 6 Jun 2011 - 1:05 PM
Coleslaw
Coleslaw e2 Member 813402 forum postsColeslaw vcard Wales28 Constructive Critique Points
6 Jun 2011 - 1:07 PM

Ah....OK.
I would have thought 400D would be better, but then price for the housing is probably too much if he is only going to use it once a year?

CathyT
6 Jun 2011 - 1:09 PM

True...some of the hard housings are horrendously expensive but I did find this ewa marine....quite a bit cheaper.

keithh
6 Jun 2011 - 1:10 PM

I'd take the 400D and then buy some postcards of the fish - they all look the same.

Coleslaw
6 Jun 2011 - 1:11 PM

Quote: I'd take the 400D and then buy some postcards of the fish - they all look the same.

lol.....

indemnity
indemnity  5326 forum posts
6 Jun 2011 - 2:10 PM

My son is a professional scuba diving instructor/photographer who also snorkels. His advice is to use a compact that's waterproof to say 5mts for snorkelling or if diving 10mts, and purchase an underwater strobe, it gets darker the deeper you go, or in shadows of rock overhangs etc. In addition sharp/quick movements will frighten the fish away, you do have to get quite close for good images. HTH.

keithh
6 Jun 2011 - 2:45 PM

Quote: In addition sharp/quick movements will frighten the fish away

I so want to say something but I am a coward.
Wink

indemnity
indemnity  5326 forum posts
6 Jun 2011 - 2:55 PM

Go for it, I want to hear it Keithh, need cheering up, life can be too serious...Grin

keithh
6 Jun 2011 - 2:59 PM

I dare not.

Cathy is a big lass with a right arm on her like a docker's mate.

(Cole made me say that)

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.