Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

• NEWS
  • REVIEWS
  • INSPIRATION
  • COMMUNITY
  • COMPETITIONS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here

UniBlue. How to remove it.?

8 Feb 2013 12:51PM
I clicked on UniBlue 3 days ago.[It was on ComputerActive's site] It ran a scan and then informed me that certain faults were medium to high. I decided not to take up their service. Since then, every time I start the laptop - Dell 1545 with Vista, the first thing to appear is the UniBlue panel in the middle of the screen, even before I manage to launch IE.
I found that UniBlue had installed itself in programmes but I have removed it from there,but as I state above,their 'advert/panel' always appears; starts a scan, which I stop, and then I have to go through the process of removing it from sight.
I have searched EPZ and there is one query re UniBlue, and the recommendations are to "avoid" it.
Does anyone have any quick fix to remove this completely ?
Thanks in anticipation.

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

Gudgeon e2
7 128 England
8 Feb 2013 1:12PM
Try this.

http://www.uniblue.com/support/faq/uninstall-uniblue-programs-computer/
redsnappa e2
12 2.0k United Kingdom
8 Feb 2013 4:15PM
Simple and best answer is to use the system restore tool in Vista to take the pc to a date before the uniblue malware was installed. That will get rid of everything that the uniblue malware has installed to your laptop.

Do not use the method suggested by uniblue themselves as a company like that cannot be trusted give you useful advice, also their method will undoubtedly leave some of the uniblue malware behind and possibly re-infect your pc.
Jestertheclown
6 6.6k 242 England
8 Feb 2013 6:36PM
Revo uninstaller will get rid of just about anything that's been installed and won't go away.
It's far more effective than Windows 'add/remove' thing and although I could be wrong, I've never quite trusted 'system restore' to completely remove things.
Then scan your machine using Malwarebytes anti-malware, to be on the safe side.
In fact, it's not a bad idea to scan with Malwarebytes from time to time anyway.
Thank you, all for the remedies, and I will try them tomorrow with a clearer mind. As redsnappa suggests, I did use system restore (Vista). Wed/Thurs history disappeared, which took me back to Tues. (Restore point ?) and that is when I clicked on UniBlue.
I buy ComputerActive, which I find very good, and then going to their site I thought that everything listed there would be safe.
I'd suggest you contact ComputerActive and let them know about this. ComputerActive has always been a very reputable organisation.
rhol2 e2
3 321 1 United Kingdom
9 Feb 2013 2:19AM
I've had similar problems with UniBlue...sytem restore did the trick.
Thank you all for the help. I used Jestertheclown's suggestion and tried Revo Uninstaller. Quite quick and simple. I have also emailed ComputerActive re the UniBlue 'advert'- free scan, but will probably not get a reply until after the weekend.
I will have a try at Malwarebytes..... later. However, will Malwarebytes clash with the security setup of my ISP, which also includes scanning options ? Or can I use both without fear of any problems ?
Jestertheclown
6 6.6k 242 England
9 Feb 2013 6:56PM
I've used Malwarebytes for years on various machines, with various security combinations and never had a problem and I've never heard of it clashing with anything.

Could be that I've just been lucky but I reckon it will be alright.
adrian_w e2
7 3.4k 4 Scotland
9 Feb 2013 7:10PM

Quote:I've used Malwarebytes for years on various machines, with various security combinations and never had a problem and I've never heard of it clashing with anything.

Could be that I've just been lucky but I reckon it will be alright.

Same here, I use it all the time. Runs in parallel with Microsoft security essentials without a problem.
My son ( ex software engineer) said it's the best antivirus program around & our local computer guru who now looks after our comps also recommends it.
OK, thanks for that, and I will definitely use Malwarebytes... Thanks.

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.