Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Unique views

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

Chant57
Chant57 e2 Member 8372 forum postsChant57 vcard United Kingdom3 Constructive Critique Points
9 Jul 2008 - 3:12 PM

Forgive me if I'm having a huge blonde moment, but what are unique views? Can anyone explain please - as in the feature notification I read, I didn't really understand it.

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
9 Jul 2008 - 3:12 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

DaveU
DaveU e2 Member 81339 forum postsDaveU vcard England121 Constructive Critique Points
9 Jul 2008 - 3:15 PM

Neither do I Sad

Chant57
Chant57 e2 Member 8372 forum postsChant57 vcard United Kingdom3 Constructive Critique Points
9 Jul 2008 - 3:17 PM

Are you blonde too? lol Wink

csurry
csurry  129230 forum posts92 Constructive Critique Points
9 Jul 2008 - 3:20 PM

Well I think if they had been in place before you uploaded an image they would count correctly. But from what I can see I have 7 unique views and 23 votes. So really at some point there must be 23 unique views or else how did these people click Wink

I did not realise that the old views was not unique. Does it mean if you kept refreshing a page you could really screw up the statistics by which some measure their success? The views would have kept increasing, but now unique views would not?

Who knows, I just wonder what prompted it, or did one of the IT guys suddenly discover a new SQL command that they wanted to try out Wink

kaybee
kaybee  103827 forum posts Scotland24 Constructive Critique Points
9 Jul 2008 - 3:20 PM

Is it not that it only counts the number of people who have looked - if someone looks 5 times it will only register as 1 view

I think

conrad
conrad  1010876 forum posts116 Constructive Critique Points
9 Jul 2008 - 3:21 PM

Quote: Is it not that it only counts the number of people who have looked - if someone looks 5 times it will only register as 1 view

I think

That's exactly it. Unless one person looks at the picture again more than 24 hours later - in that case it registers as an additional view.

DaveU
DaveU e2 Member 81339 forum postsDaveU vcard England121 Constructive Critique Points
9 Jul 2008 - 3:22 PM

I've just had a play in the gallery, repeatedly viewed the same pic, and the "views" goes up with each visit, but the "unique views" only incremented the once.

sut68
sut68 e2 Member 111997 forum postssut68 vcard England76 Constructive Critique Points
9 Jul 2008 - 3:22 PM

If you visited someones page - pre 'unique views', it registered as a view, if you came back to it later that day or refreshed the page it added another view to the counter ... but realistically, you should only register 1 view because you are only 1 person.

With unique views, it seems they have rectified this, so you can see how many individual people are viewing your shots, rather than the number of times the page has been viewed.

Chant57
9 Jul 2008 - 3:25 PM

Ahhh I get it now!
Thanks everyone......( walks away mumbling and thinking I should buy a brunette hair dye) Wink

KarenFB
KarenFB Junior Gallery Team 84284 forum postsKarenFB vcard England163 Constructive Critique Points
9 Jul 2008 - 3:27 PM

Quote: Forgive me if I'm having a huge blonde moment

Thank goodness for that, I thought it was just me!!

Quote: I didn't really understand it

I still don't understand it!

I've 23 'votes' on my latest with 10 'unique views' and 70 'views'!!! Surely, if the above comments are true, I should have at least 23 'unique views'!!

Chant57
9 Jul 2008 - 3:30 PM

Ahhhh I think thats because they are only counting unique views since the instigation of this feature, ie if your image was uploaded before the feature was active, it wont have counted your true unique views, only unique views since the introduction of the feature...........unless someone knows otherwise lol lol

sut68
sut68 e2 Member 111997 forum postssut68 vcard England76 Constructive Critique Points
9 Jul 2008 - 3:30 PM

There has to be a point where they introduce the system Karen, so the previous views will not neccessarily be included.

Chant beat me to it Smile

EDIT: My latest shot for instance has 136 views but only 6 Unique Views.

Last Modified By sut68 at 9 Jul 2008 - 3:31 PM
csurry
csurry  129230 forum posts92 Constructive Critique Points
9 Jul 2008 - 3:32 PM

In fact that is what I was trying to say 10 minutes ago Grin

KarenFB
KarenFB Junior Gallery Team 84284 forum postsKarenFB vcard England163 Constructive Critique Points
9 Jul 2008 - 3:33 PM

Ah! Yes, of course...............plunk! Wink (penny drops!)

Chant57
9 Jul 2008 - 3:36 PM

Paul put it more succinctly than me.
( Anyone that says a man goes straight to the point, whereas a woman rambles, will be taken outside and shot!) Smile

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.