Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Unique views

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

looboss
looboss  73124 forum posts United Kingdom7 Constructive Critique Points
10 Jul 2008 - 9:17 AM

I think 24 hours is good enough, most people on here forget about looking at yesterdays uploads anyway so new unique views on the second day would be minimal and practically non existent by the third Smile

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
10 Jul 2008 - 9:17 AM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

miptog
miptog  83532 forum posts United Kingdom61 Constructive Critique Points
10 Jul 2008 - 9:26 AM

Quote: I think 24 hours is good enough, most people on here forget about looking at yesterdays uploads anyway so new unique views on the second day would be minimal and practically non existent by the third

Assumes that people do that and that the owner of the image will be looking at it within 24 hours of upload.

The stat. also becomes meaningless if you look at the image in a few days or several weeks time.

Option 3: Don't have unique views until it can support all days.

davidburleson
davidburleson ePHOTOzine Staff 72350 forum postsdavidburleson vcard United Kingdom
10 Jul 2008 - 9:49 AM

I would believe that for any site this size, the support for unrestricted unique views for a page would be extremely impractical.

For the techies out there:

in 24 hours we record around 74,400 unique views
This information stores the userid, photo and date
Everytime you view a photo, we check these records to prevent adding another.
After 24 hours, we clear data that is older than 24 hours.

Lets say we were to uncap the unique views. 74,400 unique views a day, 518,000 unique views a week, 2,232,000 unique views in 1 month.

In 1 month, this table of data would have become the 2nd largest table in our database. It would have surpassed the size of the forum and all the comments in the forum. The only bigger table is the overall site comments. This is in 1 month, while all the other tables have had 7 years to collect data.

Surely, these stats are much more useful then your standard Views which was all that you had before.

Last Modified By davidburleson at 10 Jul 2008 - 9:50 AM
MediumSizeUnavailable

I agree. not perfect, but a lot more perfect than what we had previously.

How about these things David ?

Quote: can we have the Unique Views for the large versions as well ? should be very interesting.

And can the percentage stat be replaced and be calculated between the votes and the unique views rather than between the votes and the views (which is a bit rediculous as someone can view more than once but only vote once).

davidburleson
davidburleson ePHOTOzine Staff 72350 forum postsdavidburleson vcard United Kingdom
10 Jul 2008 - 9:55 AM

We had plans to add an upgrade for large views also, but we held back as we wanted to see how this data performed first. It's on the list to apply the mentioned upgrades and we will get to them in the near future.

SteveCharles
10 Jul 2008 - 9:56 AM

Thanks to David for the explanation of the 24 hour thing, I can appreciate the reason. I'm sure the majority of pictures are hardly revisited after 24 hours, although it's wrong to assume other peoples' viewing habits; I often revisit pictures to see what other comments it's picked up, or to see any reactions to comments I've made (in fact, I always do that). Some days I use a crappy screen at work and revisit when I can see pictures better.

I think overall it's a very useful feature though. I uploaded a picture after it was implemented, and it's currently running at exactly double the views to unique views, which in simplistic terms suggests everyone has viewed twice.

The percentage stats should be changed to reflect the votes from unique views, as this I feel is a more realistic indication of the photo's appeal. On the shot I mentioned, it has 11 votes from 38 views, with the corresponding 28.8% ratio, but unique views are 19, which means that it has actually picked up 11 votes from only 19 individual people, so the ratio should be 57%.

Sorry, didn't mean that to be so long winded...

bricurtis
bricurtis e2 Member 91904 forum postsbricurtis vcard England48 Constructive Critique Points
10 Jul 2008 - 10:04 AM

Quote: I think 24 hours is good enough, most people on here forget about looking at yesterdays uploads anyway so new unique views on the second day would be minimal and practically non existent by the third
Don't agree with that statement - like Penny I often go back and look at images I have commented or left suggestions on.

Quote: And can the percentage stat be replaced and be calculated between the votes and the unique views rather than between the votes and the views (which is a bit ridiculous as someone can view more than once but only vote once).
Yes - surely the unique vote must become a factor in the statistics % calculation.

davidburleson
10 Jul 2008 - 10:07 AM

Quite fine,

We have changed the percent for stats to use votes and unique views. SO, don't be alarmed if your old photos start showing extremely high percents as they wouldn't have record unique views in the past. (ie: some of my old photos are using 500% because i have 5 clicks and 1 unique view). This is normal and will eventually work itself out.

Don't submit reports for this, it's not a bug.

bricurtis
bricurtis e2 Member 91904 forum postsbricurtis vcard England48 Constructive Critique Points
10 Jul 2008 - 10:08 AM

Steve beat me to the keyboard but it seems we are both in agreement on two points.Smile

pennyspike
pennyspike  112068 forum posts United Kingdom29 Constructive Critique Points
10 Jul 2008 - 12:30 PM

I'm almost always a tail end Charlie and wander freely in the galleries in a random fashion often more than 24 hrs after an image has been posted, so most of my initial views won't count as unique anyway.

miptog
10 Jul 2008 - 12:39 PM

Very much like the unique views concept. It has to be said that with only a 24hr time limit, this feature has a very limited statistic validity. As has been indicated above, there are several people who visit after the 24 hour period, and these will not be registered as unique.

SteveCharles
10 Jul 2008 - 1:12 PM

Forgive me if I'm wrong, but Pennyspike and miptog - I don't think you have quite understood the 24 hour thing. It's not that your view only counts as unique within 24 hours of upload, it's that your first view of an image, at any time, only counts as unique, and not any more views by you within 24 hours after that. If you view again after 24 hours, it will count as another unique view.

bricurtis
10 Jul 2008 - 1:19 PM

Quote: If you view again after 24 hours, it will count as another unique view.
Surely that second visit will be a normal view as it is outside the 24 hr parameter.

pennyspike
pennyspike  112068 forum posts United Kingdom29 Constructive Critique Points
10 Jul 2008 - 1:33 PM

Quote: It's not that your view only counts as unique within 24 hours of upload, it's that your first view of an image, at any time, only counts as unique, and not any more views by you within 24 hours after that. If you view again after 24 hours, it will count as another unique view.

That's what I thought too but some of the comments suggested that it was just for the initial 24hr period and I assumed I was wrong, (again)Smile
It does help to sort out the return visits within 24 hours but does it really matter?) (Sorry to those of you who have worked so hard to implement the upgrade)Smile

miptog
10 Jul 2008 - 1:39 PM

Quote: Quote:It's not that your view only counts as unique within 24 hours of upload, it's that your first view of an image, at any time, only counts as unique, and not any more views by you within 24 hours after that. If you view again after 24 hours, it will count as another unique view.That's what I thought too but some of the comments suggested that it was just for the initial 24hr period and I assumed I was wrong, (again)
It does help to sort out the return visits within 24 hours but does it really matter?) (Sorry to those of you who have worked so hard to implement the upgrade)

If that is correct that the stat has no real validity, and by definition is non-unique.

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.