Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Unique views

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

50% OFF new PortraitPro 12, plus EXTRA 5% OFF code EPHZROS414.
bricurtis
bricurtis e2 Member 81874 forum postsbricurtis vcard England48 Constructive Critique Points
10 Jul 2008 - 1:44 PM

David has previously stated above that the site cannot sustain 'unique' views for more than a 24 hr period without it effecting site performance !!!!!

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
10 Jul 2008 - 1:44 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

miptog
miptog  83529 forum posts United Kingdom61 Constructive Critique Points
10 Jul 2008 - 1:53 PM

Quote: David has previously stated above that the site cannot sustain 'unique' views for more than a 24 hr period without it effecting site performance !!!!!

Fully appreciate that, and the effort by the Team to create this feature, but I feel it is also important the it to be a valid as well as useful statistic.

fauxtography
10 Jul 2008 - 2:12 PM

Quote: I would believe that for any site this size, the support for unrestricted unique views for a page would be extremely impractical.

For the techies out there:

in 24 hours we record around 74,400 unique views
This information stores the userid, photo and date
Everytime you view a photo, we check these records to prevent adding another.
After 24 hours, we clear data that is older than 24 hours.

Lets say we were to uncap the unique views. 74,400 unique views a day, 518,000 unique views a week, 2,232,000 unique views in 1 month.

In 1 month, this table of data would have become the 2nd largest table in our database. It would have surpassed the size of the forum and all the comments in the forum. The only bigger table is the overall site comments. This is in 1 month, while all the other tables have had 7 years to collect data.

Surely, these stats are much more useful then your standard Views which was all that you had before.

Ok, why not run the unique views like votes? Obviously when you visit a photo it checks to see if you have voted on that image and either allows you to vote or not. If you did the same with Unique views you could then stop storing all the repeated views and just link unique views to the images, not as some massive and potentially unwieldy database..

bricurtis
bricurtis e2 Member 81874 forum postsbricurtis vcard England48 Constructive Critique Points
10 Jul 2008 - 2:33 PM

The longer this thread goes on and people are airing good views regards the introduction of this function, it makes one wonder how much thought was put into this beforehand.
Pete has asked for more critique input and mods are being done to help people too, so it should have been obvious that members would be returning to images perhaps on several occasions to check the response.
I'm bowing out now as I really cannot get my head around how any worthwhile benefit is going to come from it. Smile

davidburleson
davidburleson ePHOTOzine Staff 72236 forum postsdavidburleson vcard United Kingdom
10 Jul 2008 - 3:36 PM

Okay, we feel a like taking risks today. We have disabled the unique view script (just before it was to do its first deletes). Lets see how this goes uncapped/limited.

Thats right, for now, unique views has no limit in time. Its unique views forever.

If we start to see a drag in gallery loading, we may then implement the cron.

Don't ever say we don't listen to you guys Wink.

Last Modified By davidburleson at 10 Jul 2008 - 3:36 PM
fauxtography
10 Jul 2008 - 3:46 PM

Que the "is it me or is the site running slow?" threads in 5....4.....3....... Tongue

Diana
Diana  72011 forum posts Netherlands19 Constructive Critique Points
10 Jul 2008 - 6:10 PM

hmmmmm...is that saying

if it aint broke dont fix it

running through anyones head

Diana
Diana  72011 forum posts Netherlands19 Constructive Critique Points
10 Jul 2008 - 6:40 PM

and whats a unique view again?

I forgot and dont have time to re- read the previous 7 pages..and can we have colours PLEASE, or a drop down box for those who want to see them, it is still way too confusing

user_absconded
10 Jul 2008 - 7:18 PM

Well my last upload has 134 views, 1 unique view, 36 votes, 14 comments and a percentage of 3,600. What am I to make of that LOL. No, I don't think I want even more statistics to know even more about how many looked at the large version either. Remind me again how this is helpful please! Smile

Coleslaw
Coleslaw e2 Member 813402 forum postsColeslaw vcard Wales28 Constructive Critique Points
10 Jul 2008 - 7:24 PM

Quote: 134 views, 1 unique view, 36 votes, 14 comments and a percentage of 3,600

I don't know what that means either... Sad

KarenFB
KarenFB Junior Gallery Team 84169 forum postsKarenFB vcard England160 Constructive Critique Points
10 Jul 2008 - 7:42 PM

It means the new statistics % is being calculated by Unique Views (as it should). Obviously the new calculations have to start at a certain point, which means if you only have 1 unique view and 36 votes then it's 3,600%! OK, if you were to upload a shot now, the new calculation would be in effect and the figures correct.................okay, I'll admit it - I thought there was a glitch in the system and reported a problem, someone had to explain it to me too!! Wink

Boyd
Boyd  1011213 forum posts Wales11 Constructive Critique Points
10 Jul 2008 - 7:42 PM

Here's a clue:
Lydia's last upload was on the 2nd July, the new Unique View feature was introduced to the site a week later on the 9th of July.

Coleslaw
Coleslaw e2 Member 813402 forum postsColeslaw vcard Wales28 Constructive Critique Points
10 Jul 2008 - 7:45 PM

ah....clever boy

user_absconded
10 Jul 2008 - 8:03 PM

I didn't in fact say that I didn't understand it! I did. It made me laugh, I think I was wondering really exactly how useful all these statistics really are. I did notice that last time there was a change in these statistics that my figures generally changed from roughly one in three down to one in four which puzzled me rather and now I take no notice of them at all.

Last Modified By user_absconded at 10 Jul 2008 - 8:04 PM
ade_mcfade
ade_mcfade  1014560 forum posts England216 Constructive Critique Points
10 Jul 2008 - 10:00 PM

I like this new system - some of my shots have 6800% voting rates Smile

however, quite a few have 0 too

booo hiss!

Smile

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.