Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Unsure as to what DSLR to get next. Any help?

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

Leave a Comment
    • «
    • »
    TSM
    TSM  4
    7 Sep 2010 - 8:40 PM

My Olympus e-400 has just broken! But I hated it anyway, so now I need to buy a new camera Smile I'm now warming to getting a Canon now from using the canon 20d last week, of course I want a much better quality camera than the Canon 20D though.

I've been looking at the Canon 50D... does anyone have their thoughts on this camera? Is it worth the money!? And what lens should I really purchase for this camera? I always like a shallow depth of filed in my work, so I guess I would need a very large lens!

I'm an amatuer fashion photographer, so I'm looking for a camera which would benefit me really well.

I also haven't got much money Sad
    Thanks in advance x

[info removed by moderator - please read terms and conditions regarding forum signatures]

Last Modified By Moderator Team at 7 Sep 2010 - 9:51 PM
    Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links 
    7 Sep 2010 - 8:40 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

cameracat
    cameracat  108578 forum posts Norfolk Island61 Constructive Critique Points
    7 Sep 2010 - 9:06 PM

Quote: I also haven't got much money

Well that is where we have to start from, Your budget.....Grin

There is little point in recommending anything, Until we have some idea of what you wish to spend.....Smile

That said, You would be suprised just how good a Canon 20D can be in the right hands....!!!

You may be wiser going down the road of something along those lines, But spending a bit more on some decent lens options.

Camera bodies come and go, A decent lens will last you for a good number of years, And still be worth something.....Wink

So just how much dosh do you want to throw at this here camera......Smile

wrinkles
    wrinkles e2 Member 5346 forum postswrinkles vcard United Kingdom
    7 Sep 2010 - 9:07 PM

I have the canon 50D,and find this is a good camera with the 17-85 lens for general use. Well worth the money in my opinion.
    The other lens I use is the 50/1.8 canon lens that I purchased secondhand. It is without doubt a very capable,it is sharp,and produces a very nice bokeh affect.
    Remember it's the photographer not the camera that makes the picture.Wink

cameracat
    7 Sep 2010 - 9:24 PM

Graham, Thats a top suggestion......Smile

But we have the thorny issue of dosh to discuss, Before we can recommend anything.....Sad

Wink

TSM
    TSM  4
    7 Sep 2010 - 10:37 PM

Well, i've saved up about 300 so far, so within a few months I could probably be able to spend about 600. Obviously I'm not buying anything new, only second hand. Could probably spend that little bit extra.

I do know that it's the 'photographer not the camera' haha, I think with a good camera comes good confidence though, if you see what I mean? And I need confidence!

I did like the Canon 20D, but I was thrown back when I found out it had only 8MP, basically in my opinion I don't think it is as good as my last camera. I've heard really great feedback about the Canon 50D, but it's just too expensive Sad

Thanks for all your help guys! What do you recommend now that you know my budget?

LensYews
    LensYews  51300 forum posts United Kingdom1 Constructive Critique Points
    7 Sep 2010 - 11:23 PM

8MP on the 20d equates to 3504 X 2336 pixels, which will fill a 15" x 10" print (pretty close to A3 size), so would probably more than adequate for most people. So I'd say a 20d or around 200 or a 40d or around 400. I don't think the 50d offers much over the 40d, so the extra is largely wasted money.

Personally I think I'd go for the 20d and something like the Sigma 17-70mm f2.8-f4 OS around (315) if you want a zoom, or a Canon EF 50mm f1.8 (around (85)/85mm f1.8 (around 300) if you are happy with a prime. If you have some left over budget add a used 420EX, 550EX or 430EX flashgun (around 120).

Phil1958
    Phil1958  5272 forum posts Wales4 Constructive Critique Points
    8 Sep 2010 - 12:09 AM

The 20D is one of the only cameras I've used in the EOS line up that needed little or no post processing - apart from converting my Raw files to Jpeg. Good camera to start with but has quite a small screen compared to the 50D - which I'm using currently and the results are outstanding - I use a Canon 24-105 L lens with it. If you can afford L glass, go for it, you won't regret it, the IQ is outstanding and puts anything 3rd party lens wise well and truly in the shade - as Cameracat has said, a decent lens will last for ages. I know of L lenses still in use that are over 20 years old and still firing on all cyllinders - will my 50D still be around in 20 years? I don't think so!

Last Modified By Phil1958 at 8 Sep 2010 - 12:16 AM
    cameracat
    8 Sep 2010 - 12:38 AM

Stephens suggestion of a 40D is a good start......Smile

Its a great camera and the body is tougher than the cheaper budget models......Smile

Here is just a sample of the sort of deals you can find on " Ebay " .

Note this is just a sample not a suggestion to but that particular camera.

The 40D is still a very capable camera, Should fit your requirements perfectly.

Then all you need is a half decent lens.....Smile

TSM
    TSM  4
    8 Sep 2010 - 11:23 AM

Thanks for all your help! I think i've decided to purchase either the Canon 40d or maybe the 50d depending on the deals, they seem to be the same price when looking on ebay and gumtree. And then I think i'll purchase a really good lens. Any suggestions? I had a look at the Canon 24-105 L lens, but it's just too expensive for me Sad So many great reviews though. Does anyone though of any cheaper lenses which are amazing?

thanks

LensYews
    8 Sep 2010 - 1:53 PM

If the 24-105mm is out of budget (and I had assumed it was), I'll stick with the lenses I recommended earlier as the other L lenses will also be out of budget. If you want longer than that the Canon 100mm f2 is as good as the 85mm and if you want a constant focal lenght for a zoom, the Tamron 17-50 f2.8 is probably the best quality for the price.

DuncanDisorderly

If you can save enough money buying a 20D to allow you to get a better lens - then get the 20D!
    I was out recently with my venerable 20D and can report the image quality and handling are excellent.
    The 20D rewards use of good glass; wish I'd had my current lenses back when the 20D was my main camera.
    If you are taking images under studio lights then you will only be needing to use base ISO and won't need the low light abilities of the new models.
    And as for the small screen - it's fine for checking composition and lighting which is all that it's really needed for - the real decisions about deletion are made in PP.

DuncanDisorderly

On the subject of mega pixels....
    My LRPS panel was accepted when the 20D was in it's prime. All my A3 prints were taken on the 20D except a stunner taken using a 4Mp camera. It was technically better than all the 8Mp 20D prints.
    My opinion is that 4Mp is plenty good enough for an A3 print and that by 8Mp you need good glass to see real benefit.
    I was using Canon consumer lenses and the difference with the L-series I now own is huge; even when the sensor is 'only' 8Mp.
    One easy test is to look at sharpness in the corners; the consumer lenses can be OK in the centre of the frame but often degrades towards the edges badly enough to be visible on a 6x4 print.

TSM
    TSM  4
    8 Sep 2010 - 4:37 PM

okay, I think that's a really good idea actually purchasing the Canon 20D and spending more money on a better quality lens. I've had some experience with the 20d and I found it really easy to use and most importantly the results were good. I remember the screen being small, but it didn't bother me too much. Just looked at the price of for it, it's so cheap! Why is this?

Also what lens(es) would you recommend to accompany the camera?
    I really appreciate all of your help Smile
    Thanks

justin c
    justin c  104512 forum posts England36 Constructive Critique Points
    8 Sep 2010 - 4:56 PM

It's cheap because it's a few generations behind the current models. Don't let that fool you into thinking it's not up to the job, it most certainly is. It might not have as many bells and whistles as the latest model, but it still delivers the results for a fraction of the cost of the current model.

Last Modified By justin c at 8 Sep 2010 - 4:57 PM
    LensYews
    8 Sep 2010 - 11:45 PM

If I were you I'd enquire about the 20d and 50mm f1.8 that Whipspeed has in the classifieds at the moment.

• «
    • »

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
    Password:
    Remember me:
    Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.