Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Unwelcome on my PC...MYSTART

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

Colin Smale
10 Jan 2013 - 4:11 PM

Advised to download FIREFOX (I had heard of it) and made sure I did not accept all the stuff I didn't want and upon installing I am suddenly confronted with a barrage of "YOU ARE A LUCKY WINNER.." and advising my PC is not running smoothly etc etc, we have all seen that bumph !!
So, uninstalled Firefox and all the guff that came with it but now I cannot access Google or outlook express, I now have as a search engine MYSTART (never heard of it/don't want it) where the heck did that come from? I cannot get rid of it, I cannot see it in control panel and for some reason I cannot do a system restore. How do I get rid of it?
FIREFOX...DON'T GO THERE !

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
10 Jan 2013 - 4:11 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

mikehit
mikehit  56739 forum posts United Kingdom11 Constructive Critique Points
10 Jan 2013 - 4:25 PM

A friend of mine had the same problem - google 'remove my start' or similar and you will find some sited such as this one:
http://deletemalware.blogspot.co.uk/2012/07/remove-mystart-by-incredibar-uninsta... http://forums.cnet.com/7723-6620_102-554465/how-to-get-rid-of-mystart-by-incredi...

There are also video tutorials about.

I hope this works - I detest programmes that try and tell me what I want to do.

Colin Smale
10 Jan 2013 - 4:27 PM

Thanks for that Mike, I'll take a look. This kind of caper ought to be illegal didn't it.

whipspeed
whipspeed e2 Member 104047 forum postswhipspeed vcard United Kingdom22 Constructive Critique Points
10 Jan 2013 - 4:28 PM

I had something similar on Christmas eve, I downloaded a recommended programme to view video files. Ended up with my browser changed even though I had said no, to something called claro search. I couldn't do a system restore either. So, I use malwarebytes, which is really good, even the free version. If you go to their forum pages & do a search for mystart, they might have a route to remove it, but it will take a while as I had to go through about 4 cleaning programmes! Then I had to go into my homepage and reset the search engine, my son did that for me, so I can ask him that bit.
Bloody annoying though.

whipspeed
whipspeed e2 Member 104047 forum postswhipspeed vcard United Kingdom22 Constructive Critique Points
10 Jan 2013 - 4:30 PM

Found a thread, ignore the posts where the user is showing there results and just follow the moderators instructions. I found it did the trick.

http://forums.malwarebytes.org/index.php?showtopic=120078&st=0&p=631449&...

Umberto_Vanni
Umberto_Vanni e2 Member 9372 forum postsUmberto_Vanni vcard Scotland
10 Jan 2013 - 4:55 PM

Malwarebytes is very good. I've been using the free version for ages. Just remember to keep it updated.

whipspeed
10 Jan 2013 - 5:03 PM

I've gone for the full version now, but it works well in the background and doesn't appear to cause any problems.

mikehit
10 Jan 2013 - 5:09 PM

Whipspeed: does malwarebytes work alongside other virus software (effectively as an add-on) or do you have to use it as the only virus software?

ikett
ikett  4352 forum posts England
10 Jan 2013 - 5:18 PM

Lots of stuff on the net about this, no problem if you download from mozilla.org direct.

User_Removed
10 Jan 2013 - 5:24 PM

Horrified to read about this problem being associated with Firefox.

I have been using both Firefox and Thunderbird for many years now and have never had any such problems.

Are you sure you downloaded direct from Mozilla and weren't conned into using a cowboy spam download site?

ikett
ikett  4352 forum posts England
10 Jan 2013 - 5:26 PM

Quote: does malwarebytes work alongside other virus software (effectively as an add-on) or do you have to use it as the only virus software?

It's not a virus program it is for other nasty things, spybot is another and in my opinion a better option, also free.

BEVZED
BEVZED e2 Member 71140 forum postsBEVZED vcard United Kingdom
10 Jan 2013 - 5:33 PM

Quote: Whipspeed: does malwarebytes work alongside other virus software (effectively as an add-on) or do you have to use it as the only virus software?

When I put it on mine it said that it runs alongside your own progs, haven't had a problem with it

I nearly come a cropper with Firefox, just caught myself in time when I spotted a flash in the background of the site, I killed the internet connection then ran allsorts of scans. Found out it was a creditable looking site I was on but not kosher!

mikehit
10 Jan 2013 - 5:38 PM

Thank you for your replies.
Ikett - I alreadddy have SpyBot so it is interesting to see your comments, though I am always open to other options to keep these nasties away.

whipspeed
10 Jan 2013 - 5:51 PM

Mike I use it alongside AVG and there are no conflictions. So hopefully covered for Virus and Malware.

User_Removed
10 Jan 2013 - 5:58 PM

Don't slag Firefox off just because you were daft enough to download it from an unofficial site. I bet you just click on the first search result you see rather than take time to sort the sponsored spam from the natural results. You'll only fall for other scams when looking for genuine mwbam and spybot if you're always that careless.

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.