Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Unwelcome Wedding Photographer

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

Leave a Comment
    • «
    • »
    Vivking
    Vivking  8 United Kingdom
    17 Jun 2012 - 4:07 PM

What is the opinon of other wedding photographers when you have been contracted to do wedding photography and on the day a friend of a friend of the couple, who is a photographer suddenley starts calling the attention of the group you have just arranged, so distracting them from your photo. We are all used to the casual photographer sittting on your shoulder all day and just deal with it but this guy was irritating and taking liberties to the extreme all day. In case someone asks my contract does state that there will be no other professional photographer appointed on the day.
    Opinions welcomed ...........

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links 
    17 Jun 2012 - 4:07 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

User_Removed
    17 Jun 2012 - 4:21 PM

Talk to the B&G immediately and get them to 'sort' the interloper.

Jack_Schitt
    17 Jun 2012 - 4:59 PM

It seems to me, that if you knew what you were doing of, and was a fair bit quicker in doing it, then this other fella wouldn't have got bored standing around waiting. Thus there would have been no need to hurry things along a bit!

(removed - uncalled for)

Sorry. Couldn't resist :O) - surely a Killer Stare, coupled with a stand up stop what your doing, whilst exhaling loudly - before mentioning in a raised voice " that pherhaps if it's not too inconvenient he might practise for his portfolio at someone else's wedding" may have done the trick.

Failing that a swift kick in the b*ll**ks usually works.

Jack

Last Modified By Moderator Team at 18 Jun 2012 - 9:27 PM
    cuffit
    cuffit  7177 forum posts England2 Constructive Critique Points
    17 Jun 2012 - 5:01 PM

I have little experience in the area of weddings (my own and a few as a best man or guest), but the rise in camera use and the absence of good manners these days must leave you tearing your hair out! The reason I write is because at one wedding we went to (before the advent of digital cameras), the professional, just before he started taking the standard family photos, addressed the guests and in a very enthusiastic and light-hearted way said that everyone present wanted good photos of the day but no-one more than him as he had to get them right for the Bride and Groom whose day it was after all. He said he would set up the shots and then allow a little time between each for everyone to then take theirs. He then made light of every shot and everyone followed his lead. I am not sure if it would work now but at least everyone knows who is taking the 'money' shots.

I have to say that the other half of me is where Mike is - ask the B&G if they would prefer the alternate photographer to get on with it! I guess the challenge for you on the day is missing a shot while trying to deal with the rogue photographer - the best man is the usual person to sort things out. I have to say, if you employed a similar tactic as the photographer I mention, you could deal with the interloper just as a comedian deals with a heckler, just ask him to step back and join the other 'guests' or a wittier line than I can think of.

Good luck for the next time.

Chris

hobbo
    hobbo e2 Member 3800 forum postshobbo vcard England2 Constructive Critique Points
    17 Jun 2012 - 5:10 PM

Very recently I was asked by my cousin, the brides mother to compliment the official photographs by shooting all the little things that the pro might miss or not be bothered by....kids playing......guests dancing, chatting or mucking about, back scenes, the venue, inside and out, detailed close up etc.

I agreed, but only if pro was told and that he wouldn't object......on the day we got on famously, we were a to share lots of ideas without intruding on each others creativity at all, he even gave me one to one tuition on low light photography without using a flash.

As usual it is communication, common sense and good manners that count.

Hobbo

pulsar69
    pulsar69  101611 forum posts United Kingdom6 Constructive Critique Points
    17 Jun 2012 - 5:28 PM

completely agree communication and common sense prevail , if not then tell them not to get in your way in a nice way , failing that your there to do the job not them so if needs be remove them from the scenario and explain it more forcefully , it should never really come to that tho !

A simple explanantion that everyone will be looking in the wrong directions otherwise normally suffices ...

Graysta
    Graysta  91135 forum posts England
    17 Jun 2012 - 5:48 PM

Make sure you get your money a month before the day. Have a word with B&G And Best man, Ushers ect, If he wants to do it for nowt and they dont stop him you got paid he didnt.
    Or let him organise the groups and stand in front of him and get the shot and quickly move on pecking order restored,I usually take the Mrs to watch other people and get in their way.

Carabosse
    Carabosse e2 Member 1139496 forum postsCarabosse vcard England269 Constructive Critique Points
    17 Jun 2012 - 6:19 PM

Get the bride's mother to have a word with him - they are usually the most terrifying person in attendance! Grin

MrGoatsmilk
    17 Jun 2012 - 7:09 PM

Firstly just ask them to stop as they are possibly going to ruin the photos for the day, failing them listening to that then speak to the customers who booked you not him and explain to them they may not get what they paid for unless uncle Bob gets out of the way.

If they don't sort it, make note of what was said in case of any come back later.

ade_mcfade
    ade_mcfade e2 Member 1014838 forum postsade_mcfade vcard England216 Constructive Critique Points
    17 Jun 2012 - 7:11 PM

Chin him....

Vivking
    Vivking  8 United Kingdom
    17 Jun 2012 - 8:32 PM

Thanks everyone for your helpful and interesting comments. I really have never experienced anything like this before and to be honest was almost struck dumb at the time. As the story unfolds (even as I type this) it appears that it was most likely organised by the bride. Maybe I will just ask her to decide who she wants to make the album ! Anyway again many thanks to everyone for taking the time to leave comment - they are all appreciated. by one demoralised photographer.

scottishphototours

There's an easy way to deal with this kind of unwelcome intruder - embaress him.

"OK David Bailey, sorry was I getting in your way - why don't you just organise and set up the next group and show us all how its done" - that kind of thing. If he takes you up on your offer, step in and ask the Bride who she wants taking her pictures - and who she's going to blame when they are all late for dinner.

If he becomes a real pain, tell the Bride you want him removed (the Best Man's job..) to allow you to get on with fullfilling a legally binding contract...

tepot
    tepot  104416 forum posts United Kingdom
    18 Jun 2012 - 2:56 AM

grab his tripod, bend the tw*t over and.......................

Terry.

Last Modified By Moderator Team at 18 Jun 2012 - 9:28 PM
    User_Removed
    18 Jun 2012 - 10:21 AM

Quote: Talk to the B&G immediately and get them to 'sort' the interloper.

Absolutely right Mike.
    After all, when your photographs end up with everyone looking at him and not you, the B&G are not going to be happy!

(Then a swift kick in the small collection of dangly bits should be administered!)

• «
    • »

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
    Password:
    Remember me:
    Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.